Stupid Webshots

slimcutta

For those who are unaware, stupid webshots is turning into Stupid Smile by Webshots, and webshots will be shutting down.

Thanks JB for your topic with some of the info.

Anyways, I just tried to send all my webshots crap to stupid Smile, and it looks like the new site is just a piece of donkey doo doo, so as soon as Webshots goes down (Dec 1), all of my pics will be gone from icejerseys, including all of those I've used for 'how to' tutorials.

We'll see how motivated I am to get a new photo album created elsewhere, but in the meantime, if anyone's looking for any of my content, pm me and I'll see if I can help you out. Otherwise, sit on it.

Ehhhh!!!

http://smile.webshots.com/landing

Is the old Webshots site going away?

Yes and no. Your photos won’t be accessible publicly in the way they once were. All photos will be removed by December 1. Until then, you may use message boards and you may search, browse and view images, but you won’t be able to upload or download images. We are no longer supporting the old Webshots service as we move to the new system. At the same time, we’ve made it easy for you to either bring your photos into the new service or to save them to your desktop.

What do I need to do?

If you would like to keep enjoying your photos on Smile by Webshots, you’ll need to confirm your account by logging in here. If you do not wish to use Smile by Webshots, you may also save your photos to your desktop. For unconfirmed accounts, all photos will be removed by December 1, 2012.

I already put my photo's on fotki, if it's good enough for Brilliant it's good enough for me. I tried putting them on Photobucket but couldn't figure out how to rearrange them and didn't like the layout of the website.

Worst of all, Stupid Smile is a fee based photo serviceand do not have a free option...so even if/when they move the photos to Stupid Smile from Stupid Webshots, they dropped all the sub folders and organization...they just "dump" the photos in there without and organization...I already told them to go pound sand...Stupid greedy batards...

Pain in the butt to have to retake all my photos etc.

Retake? You don't keep your photos elsewhere? Crazyness!

You can still download 'em all to your PC

I'm just sayin it'll take me a while to get stuff back up somewhere...'cause I'm lazy like that...durp.

I was finally about to get off my behind and upload my pics, and was about to use photobucket. Since that sucks, does anyone have any suggestions before I put in all this painstaking labor? I had a webshots account years ago, but my email address expired and I can't find my password. Grrrrrrrr.

I do but the laptop they're we're on died :(

I didn't save any of my jersey photos...I just took them for use on this site. All my other photos are on disc but many of the edited ones are on an old laptop which has seemed to develop a mind of it's own. Re-editing those shots will be a major pain in the butt.

I keep all my Polaroid photos in a shoe box next to my record player.

I'm good.

I almost fell off the couch laughing at this. "8 Track" is gonna be the next big thing so that record player may be obsolete soon.Those Polaroid flash bulbs must be difficult to find nowadays huh? We must have come from the same era. I still remember the KISS and Farah posters on the wall. Good times! :thumbsup:

I keep all my Polaroid photos in a shoe box next to my record player.

I'm good.

I still use my record player on a regular basis. I bought a dozen extra needles for it about 20 years ago, so I'm good to go for a while. I still buy new releases on vinyl when they're available. I actually have more albums on vinyl than I have hockey jerseys. i'm pretty sure I still have a Polaroid camera somewhere in the house also.

Thanks for the headsup about webshots Slim. I spent most of the night drinking beer and moving all my pictures to picasa.

Guys, I need your advice.

The things I need based on my usage are:

QUICK and easy generating codes to post my photos in forums or blogs.

The ability to create albums AND rearrange the order of the images.

I use Photobucket a ton for photos to illustrate my blog and the old version let's me hover over a photo and quickly copy the code I need, but I've never known them to offer the ability to rearrange my albums. This is fine for my blogging purposes, but won't let me put my new jersey acquisitions in a sensical order. For example, my webshots albums are in alphabetical order by franchise in each division, with each team's jerseys then arranged from oldest style to newest.

Photobucket's new interface has taken the brilliant hover and click code generation to a three step process, which is YET ANOTHER CASE OF FORM OVER FUNCTION which I am so SICK AND TIRED OF! There does not appear to be a single web designer on the planet who seems to understand how a web page works is more important than how it looks. Blogger just murdered their interface in this way. It's just maddening. To schedule a post used to be a four step process Now it's 10 to 11 steps!! Who the hell approved that!

The demise of Webshots is beyond painful for me. I have 3000 photos on there, all titled and described. When I transfer my pics to their new site, it's one big jumble. No albums, no titles, no organization whatsoever. Worse, I have linked to hundreds, if not thousands of those images on various forums and my blog. EVERY SINGLE ONE of those images will now vanish from the internet in less than two months. Do you know how many of my blog entries about jerseys will now no longer have any photos of any jerseys?!!

It's three year's worth of work right down the toilet because those @(#@*&! decided to be the hub of social media images rather than a photo hosting service. Good effing luck with that. I'm screwed and they are going to go broke for their efforts. If I could sue them for damages and emotional distress, I would because of the hundreds of hours it will take to rebuild that visual database somewhere else.

Smile sucks b@llz!

I'm trying Fotki right now; didn't mind it everytime I was creeping Mike's pics in the past (I still want your USA Leetch, btw), but it takes a bit of getting used to and also features too many clicks to get anything done.

I also find it gives you too many options when they just aren't necessary.

You can rearrange photos easily, though, and drag and drop is available with Chrome 7.0 and later, Safari 4 and later, and Firefox 3.5 and later.

I'll update the board with more feedback after I get used to it.

In the process of moving my photos from Webshots to my imac so I can re-post all of my Flyers GW jerseys to my website. It is dreadful, and I have less than 200 photos with descriptions. Jeff I definately feel your pain with 3000 plus photos/descriptions. I am going with Fotki.

For those of us on Stupid Webshots, if you haven't already done so..email the carp out of them...they are responsive to our collective concerns...I am hopeful that if they hear from enough of us, they might not "kill it"...just wishful thinking, perhaps. But a simple email to them might be easier than re-uploading hundreds and in some cases thousands of images. Just a thought.

I cant figure out how to just make a simple drag and drop folder in Picasa. Everytime I try to make a group like NHL jerseys, it seperates them into time stamped events. Just put them in the dang, folder.

Is Picasa a program? I went to the website and it asked me to download a program. I'd rather have something that's accessible on the web from anywhere.

Yeah but you can access the photos you share online at any time. I don't know if you can add photos just using the web.