What will be the most sought after collectible jerseys of the future?

oxbo1690

I have been thinking about how much money Wild Wing and Burger King jerseys command mainly because they are rare and ugly. But they fetch insane amounts of money for only replicas ($400-500 sometimes) and I want to think about what jerseys will command the same in the future.

There are a number of jerseys that come to mind to me, but the one that I think will be sought after is the black Islanders alternate. That is of course, unless they bring it back for another year, which would be a monumental mistake. We also have the various Winter Classic jerseys but I think the one that will be most sought after of these is the Detroit D from 2008-09 and the Bruins Winter Classic of course.

As well, the Montreal Canadiens centennial jerseys, especially the barber pole and green leaf ones, which can currently be found on eBay for under $50. I also feel like the Mooterus will be something sought after down the road as well. For international jerseys, definitely the throwbacks for Team Canada at the last WJC will be in demand.

However, an argument can also be made that these jerseys are produced in such quantities that there is really not a chance they could ever be valued so much asides from authentics. What are your thoughts? Do you think we have any future Wild Wings today?

I honestly think its hard to say. So many of the possibilities lack a certain star power or following in any way. The only one I really am positive will be collectible is the Preds mustard proof jersey. It already has a decent following and that team is building a strong fanbase and future, akin to the Ducks & Kings of the 90s. A few other possibilties are the Rangers jersey with the retired numbers inside and the Sabres anniversary one with the felt numbers. Otherwise I agree with the Winter/Heritage Classic and Centennial jerseys.

And not just one jersey here but I bet 2.0s with the vector will be something of value down the road as well. They been flooded out there lately but 10 years from now good luck finding a true authenic 2009-10 etc jersey.

I'm guessing the Rangers WC authentics will go for insane amounts 10 years from now, given the limited number actually produced.

I do not think a ton of Blackhawks Winter Classics were made up, so they may be pricey. When selling one here some folks did not even know it was different from the alternates (no shhoulder tomohawks). Another jersey is the University of Michigan Big Chill jersey. I got lucky and found one for $50, but have since seen them go for $200 on ebay. There was a very limited run MDen did. Michigan is bringing that style jersey back as their home, but the real patch only came on the jersey so trying to jerry rig a new home would be tough.

I'm guessing the Rangers WC authentics will go for insane amounts 10 years from now, given the limited number actually produced.

Agreed.. Especially for the game worns winter classics.

And I think the first year of the Rangers Heritage game worn sweaters as well with the 85th anniversary patch.. Only two sets for 2010-11... Some went to players too. Jeez, they're even asking 650.00 for a Kris Newberry Set 2 on ebay currently..

I would say the original alternates are and will continue to be highly collectible, since they are pretty easy to photo match and only one or 2 sets were ever worn i think they will continue to increase in value. Burger king jerseys 5 years ago sold for bout 1500 now almost impossible to find one and good luck getting one for under 3k and i mean game worn of course.

even just authentics have sky rocketed , i have seen an increase in the lightining and canucks first alternates as well. So i would say those are and will continue to very valuable.

I think the biggest difference from 95-96 till today was that alternates were only worn by 5 teams and only for 1 year by 2 of them (los angeles and anaheim) The fact that they were produced and debuted in late January 1996 and were gone by May of the same year is the reason that those 2 are so rare. Comparatively they had short production runs and were not liked which probably hampered sales which lead to a quick death. In todays market every team has a third jersey practically and they are worn to death for multiple seasons. I think future value is the things that always are desired. Special anniversary jerseys and patched retirement jerseys as well as winter classic and stanley cup finals. All of course would be highest values as game worn then team issued then edge 2.0. If teams happen to debut a third jersey that gets canned right away its still not going to be a new wild wing or bk. the black islanders for example has multiple player sets and potentially will be back and was worn enough that certain players had up to 4 jerseys (steve staios i believe).

the black islanders for example has multiple player sets and potentially will be back and was worn enough that certain players had up to 4 jerseys (steve staios i believe).

I think he only had 2...the only player that might have had more than 2 was John Tavares (can't say with certainty). Staios jerseys had the "A" removed on one IIRC and you can see the outline

When i checked the isles game worn site there were at least 3 up there for the alts and one point and potentially 4. Maybe GI's ?

Just an error. They have 5ish Staios, but only 2 are black.

I have been thinking about how much money Wild Wing and Burger King jerseys command mainly because they are rare and ugly.

Are the Wild Wings rare at all? I see them pop up on ebay all the time...which is even more frustrating when trying to figure out why they go for so much...

...and I guess Mooterus is the exception that proves the rule?

I think the Mooterus will eventually be worth something, just now they are dirt cheap

This is going to be more valuable than gold.

$(KGrHqUOKp!E24R8dt)kBN0Iu70Zog~~_1.JPG

Oh my God...that is hilarious!!

Oh man, that is hilarious. But also, sad. Sad that I know who that is and that I get it.

I think only some of the WC jerseys will worth a lot. There are tons of retail 1.0 Capitals and Penguins WC jerseys out there and that they use them as thirds in following years only makes more common to find. 2.0 WC jerseys will be the one that will be worth a lot down the road. We'll look back at them like we do the TBTC jerseys. Possible future Wild Wing/BK jersey has to be the yellow mustard Predators jersey. It has all the same characteristics, funky colors and a weird cartoon crest. I also think that the McFarlane Oilers third might become highly sought after when the team starts winning again.

2.0 WC jerseys will be the one that will be worth a lot down the road. We'll look back at them like we do the TBTC jerseys.

Big time. I can only really speak for Bruins jerseys, but I'd imagine it transfers over to the other 2.0 WC teams as well. But riddle me this - do you think (adjusted for inflation) these jerseys are going to appreciate much from how expensive they are now?

For example, many of you on here dropped ~$350 for blank Rangers WC jerseys this year (they were pretty sharp, I don't fault anyone for doing it). Add another $100 for proper felt lettering, and that's $450 already (if not closer to $500). With that said, what would we imagine the upward movement would be price-wise? After a certain price-point, people could be picking up gamers.

Edit: Same thing with the Bruins jerseys. Now that JerseyBaron has found a secret source for 2.0 jerseys, he's got WC 2.0s up for $500. Even if somebody can haggle it down to about $400, that's still about $500 for a lettered jersey. Again, not much upward movement and we get to the price-range of gamers.

Though I guess gamers could also appreciate in value, allowing the price range of every WC jersey to move upwards. We'll see...

An underrated one in my mind is the Red Sabres alternate. I can't seem to find many, there are Miller replicas on ebay going for 250, I haven't seen an authentic in a while on there either.