NHL Lockout.

steezyb

One cool thing about the lockout, is some secondary market ticket prices are really down (expected). The cool thing is, if you buy on Stubhub youll be automatically refunded if the game is cancelled so there isnt really any risk. Im planning an epic trip as a gift to my gf and brother for Christmas and Ive already gotten some great deals. Now I just hope the season isnt cancelled. Heres the plan-

12/29 - Wash @ Nash

12/31 Wash @ Pitt

1/1 - Winter Classic (this was the biggest deal of all, I couldnt believe the prices I got)

Frostbitten road trip!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This lockout has me craving hockey so much that I broke down and bought a Playstation 3 last week and the NHL13 game. I'm 40 years old, and I haven't played a console tv/video game in probably 20+ years...

One cool thing about the lockout, is some secondary market ticket prices are really down (expected). The cool thing is, if you buy on Stubhub youll be automatically refunded if the game is cancelled so there isnt really any risk. Im planning an epic trip as a gift to my gf and brother for Christmas and Ive already gotten some great deals. Now I just hope the season isnt cancelled. Heres the plan-

12/29 - Wash @ Nash

12/31 Wash @ Pitt

1/1 - Winter Classic (this was the biggest deal of all, I couldnt believe the prices I got)

Frostbitten road trip!!!

Nice man! Well for your sake I hope the lockout is resolved. I guess the only negative, IMO, in buying tickets with there being no guarantee of a season is getting one's hopes up. But compared to risking $, that is very minor.

This lockout has me craving hockey so much that I broke down and bought a Playstation 3 last week and the NHL13 game. I'm 40 years old, and I haven't played a console tv/video game in probably 20+ years...

I'm not as old, and I used to own an Xbox a few years ago but I broke down and bought a new xbox and 13 as well because of the lock out and the changes that are in the game

Yes, it is sorta filling in my need to see hockey :)

I may go get NHL12 too - as I miss having Jagr on the Flyers (unless ya play the winter classic game)

ESPN has a list of players that have signed overseas and which teams they signed with.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/page/12lockoutsignings/where-nhl-players-playing

Looking like we're gonna get a full 82 game schedule out of this! I can't wait for the Rangers to open the Garden, I'm gonna have to be there this year.

Based on what I've been reading, this isn't going to get the deal done, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. The league is trying to get NHLers in the AHL to count against the cap (again), and I don't think that's going to fly, at least not without an amnesty buyout clause in the new CBA as well. Otherwise, the Rangers would have Redden count against the cap, and the Habs wouldn't be able to bury Gomez. I just don't see that happening. Even if it doesn't count against current contracts, but against future contracts, I can't see the union giving up the potential for more players to make an NHL salary, which is what being able to bury players in the AHL does. Also, the league is asking for the 50-50 split to be effective immediately, and not gradually roll back to that point from the current 57-43 split that is in the players favor. By going to a 50-50 split, the way escrow is handled would also have to be changed, and doesn't work in favor of the players.

Long story short, there's still a bit of work to be done, and this is only the financial part of the CBA.

I think it gets hammered out by Monday. There's no way the players can just reject it and say "not good enough". They just look greedy.

Some of the provisions in the proposed deal really scare me, particularly as a Flyers fan. Here are a couple of Bob McKenzie's tweets

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Important note on back-diving contracts (BDC). If player traded, then later in deal retires, original club on hook for cap hit.

So for example, if Richards and Carter were to retire before 2020 and 2022 respectively, the Flyers would be on the hook for their cap hits even though they havent played for the team for almost a decade?

Dont see how that is entirely fair considering what they did was within the rules when the contracts were signed.

Orangecrush, Flyers and all the other teams who did that are stuck because if they don't go along with it they are essentially admitting to cap circumvention. All these teams embarrassed the commish and created an uneven playing field, so this is how they are going to make it right.

By the way, it's not like this is real money we're talking about, it's cap dollars. The Flyers aren't going to terribly hurt by playing under the cap because there are only a handful of teams who can spend up to the cap anyways.

Orangecrush, Flyers and all the other teams who did that are stuck because if they don't go along with it they are essentially admitting to cap circumvention. All these teams embarrassed the commish and created an uneven playing field, so this is how they are going to make it right.

By the way, it's not like this is real money we're talking about, it's cap dollars. The Flyers aren't going to terribly hurt by playing under the cap because there are only a handful of teams who can spend up to the cap anyways.

Cap circumvention isn't relevant to the discussion. What is ridiculous about this element is that, if this rule was present when the trades were made, there would be absolutely no chance the Flyers would have traded Richards or Carter knowing that they could potentially be on the hook for their salary if they retire before the contract expires. You cant make retroactive rules, you just cant.

Dont get me wrong, Im not completely opposed to this idea. But the way it should work is that this rule should apply to those not yet traded, not those who were traded over a year ago.

And your last comment is completely backwards. Its hurts WAY more with it being cap dollars as opposed to real dollars.

Nothing is going to get done before October 31...I'll be shocked. The players are not happy about the offer (reading tweets). The owners are cracking, but they will not be the ones who will accept a compromise (i.e. they want their proposal to be accepted by the players...they will not accept a NHLPA proposal)

Bye NHL season

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

Only detail Bettman provided was that the player's proposal included an increased share of HRR in year 1 ...

It's pretty safe to say that there will be no NHL season starting in November 2nd. I was happy with the league's proposal, I thought it was fair and really good. But apparently the players don't share the same view.

The players making all the concessions is fair? NHL has record growth but the players have to give back to fix the owners and Bettmans mistakes. This lockout falls on Bettmans and the owners shoulders 100%.

Players offered 50/50 split as of right now if owners agreed to honour current contracts and they refused. What does that say about who really wants this resolved.

Neither side really wants it resolved, if they did they would be working together to create a proposal that both sides can live with. For now all we're getting is each side creating their own proposal and hoping the other side agrees. And the players creating three different proposals sounds like a joke to me, if they can't even agree to a proposal within their ranks then how are they ever going to agree with something from the owners?

At least I have the USHL!

Absolutley disgusting that both sides would rather lose millions of dollars then figure out a fair way to get to 50/50. Why can't both of these idiots come up with an idea that moves the split to 50/50 and still gives the players part or whole of the 13% their losing by going to 50/50? After this is done both Bettman and Fehr should be givin the boot because they both failed misserably trying to negotiate this c.b.a. There was no freakin reason any games should have been missed or any money lost fighting over what they are fighting for.

Sorry CBJ fans but the all star games is guaranteed cancelled and considering the league has to pony up a $250,000 deposit to the university of michigan for the winter classic on Nov 2 you can see the writing on the wall that it will get axed as well.

I'm still in shock at how stupid both these party's are. I was on the players side from day one of this and still am but honestly why can't you just freakin make a counter proposal off what the league offered last?