Retro Home Oilers Jersey

Dr99

I've been looking for a retro white/home Oilers jersey either already customized with Paul Coffey, or blank and customization afterwards. I'm just looking for a replica, although if I stumbled upon an authentic I would consider it.

It looks like customthrowbackjerseys.com has exactly what I want with the correct numbers, but their rating are beyond terrible:

http://www.customthrowbackjerseys.com/paul-coffey-edmonton-oilers-1987-ccm-vintage-throwback-home-nhl-jersey/

Jerseybaron has one, but the number font does not appear accurate to what they wore at the time: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDMONTON-OILERS-COFFEY-VINTAGE-HOME-CCM-NHL-JERSEY-L-/300495377229?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1211276843716290278%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26#ht_2072wt_1039

After striking out at the reputable sites (icejerseys, sportsk AJ Sportword, frozen pond), , I started to consider a road jersey but the best one of those I can find is at rockymountainsports (http://www.ebay.com/itm/360466673149?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1559wt_1039) and they too don't have the correct font style on the number. It looks like the modern oilers numbers not what I see from the old photos.

Anyone have any other ideas/guidance/sources to help find what I'm looking for?

If you're cool with a replica, just find a blank one, they should pop up at a considerable clip. Then you're in control of the font. It seems you're picky about the font like most of us are, and that seems to be your biggest hurdle, so bypass that, buy a blank, then find out who can do it up.

If you're particularly concerned with the font, then I'd do as JohnnyOnTheSpot suggested, buy a blank and send it to someone who can do an accurate job on Oilers jerseys. I would still send reference photos of what you want and specify that you're concerned about the number font, because it's a real common problem that the 7's get done without the block on the bottom or with the wrong angle on the top right corner.

A frustrating thing when dealing with replicas, especially Oilers ones, is that they can differ considerably in appearance from the original authentics. Most of the replicas you're going to find will probably be CCM vintage ones. I don't know exactly which era Coffey jersey you're trying to replicate, but I assume it's mid-1980's. Here are some issues you'll probably encounter.

Coffey used Nike jerseys for most of his Oilers career (except for the early years). They were made of a mesh material which you won't find in the CCM replicas. The stripes on the Nikes were thicker and spaced farther apart than on the CCM replicas. The collar and shoulder stripes also look markedly different between the two. Even the front crests have some minor differences. Hopefully you won't mind these differences, or the fact that Coffey never wore the CCM brand with the Oilers. To be fair to CCM, I'm sure their vintage replica was not designed to copy the mid-80's Nikes. The stripe pattern on the replicas actually does look quite close to some of the CCM authentics of the mid-1990's, but of course that is exactly what will get in your way if you're trying to make an accurate Coffey jersey.

Now if you could find a Nike authentic, that would be fantastic, but it would certainly set you back a bit!