Using prototype numbers rather than the correct one

Nathan

Quick question.

I have a black San Francisco Spiders authentic, which still remains uncustomized. It's a great style, but the numbers themselves are a bit bland.

I have seen what looks like some type of prototype numbers, completely with webbing, that's infinitely more interesting. The question is whether it would be a mortal sin to customize it outside of actual on-ice specs.

The actual style is at the top, the apparent prototype at the bottom.

108.jpg96_Spiders_b.JPG

well i think the folks on the side of "for it to be 100%" would say go with the regular non proto numbers.

Others would say well it was going to be used so it should be ok to go with.

and I am all for saying "your money, do what you think looks best"

in all honesty, those web numbers are awesome. if you could get someone to do it that would be sweet.

I had always wondered what the deal was with the numbers with the webbing, I agree they look awesome.

I think in the end it's up to you. Personally I'd strongly consider it, it would be taking a rare jersey and make it even more special without going overboard since it was a prototype style for that team.

Go for it....

I think the webbing on the numbers is too busy. And ignoring accuracy, the webbing was removed, assumingly, to match the comic style the font emulates.

I actually don't love the webbing either personally.

But that said, given that it was actually a prototype, I wouldn't consider it wrong. It's your money, so if you prefer it (and it was once a considered look), then go for it.

ok first question where the heck are you going to find the webbing font???

I think both look pretty cool but being a traditionalist i would go with the regular font.

ok first question where the heck are you going to find the webbing font???

Spot on.

It's probably going to be hard enough to find someone to just do the game jersey font right in the first place. If you find someone who can do the webbing font to any level of satisfaction, that would be amazing.

Doesn't this seem like the perfect time to ask to buy a kit before someone sews on their "best effort" to your rare jersey? I'd want to see exactly what is going on that jersey before it's heat sealed and sewn on to mine.

Getting numbers with the webbing is going to be a tall order. I wonder if EPS could make a kit for you with the prototype font?

Spot on.

It's probably going to be hard enough to find someone to just do the game jersey font right in the first place. If you find someone who can do the webbing font to any level of satisfaction, that would be amazing.

Doesn't this seem like the perfect time to ask to buy a kit before someone sews on their "best effort" to your rare jersey? I'd want to see exactly what is going on that jersey before it's heat sealed and sewn on to mine.

Bingo on both. Triple Threat Sports managed to get it pretty close so if you want it done like they wore on ice I would highly suggest starting with them, they've done a few of these over the years including two of mine. As cool as the webbing is you'd more than likely be told it can't be done or it'll be not worth the cost.

100_1884.jpg

100_1457.jpg

The #96 was mine. I sold it a few years ago during my replica purification. I purchased it blank from the team just before they folded. I asked them where they had their work done and they told me River City Sports in Winnipeg. James (one of the owners) said it was the original design that was presented to them. River City did about 10 for the pro-shop but they went with out the webbing for the team jerseys due to cost (it was about $30 extra). They keep every old pattern so you might want to call them.

You need to do what ever you want to do. I got more compliments on those spider web numbers than I have ever got on any jersey. Only 1 in million people would say "hey that's not the original number style".