Is it alright to wear expensive game worns?

StayFrosty

How expensive is too expensive?

If you buy expensive game worn jerseys, will you be willing to wear them?

In a few weeks I'll be buying one of the Meigray jerseys that usually costs around $700... but with their sale, I'll be getting 50% off. That means the jersey will only cost me around $350. I doubt anyone would say you shouldn't be wearing a $350 jersey..... but I do feel guilty, since usually that jersey would be 700 mo' fo' dollars!

Should I be wearing a jersey that's that expensive? Should you wear game worns at all?

The problem for me is that I'm still not into this hobby enough to buy jerseys that I don't wear, and I really don't want to spend more than $350ish on a jersey, either, unless I'm getting some awesome deal.

I asked the very same question a little while ago. But for me the answer is easy: there's no way I'd fit in a gamer (tried on my only player-worn 56- comical). It's a tough call- if you only have 1, I might be inclined to not wear it- you'd hate for something to happen to it.

(This is why I'm hesitant to wear my 2.0 NYR WC out- it's a light color, and I have these horrible visions of getting beer or relish etc. spilled on it from myself or someone behind me)

If you're into the hobby for wearing the jerseys (like myself) I'd put the money towards a few of replicas that you like or an Authentic that you could get customised properly. Just my opinion la. :thumbsup:

I just started wearing gamers this past season. They are designed to take abuse...they are hockey jerseys. I'd rather wear my gamer than an Indo Edge. I will wear any gamer I have with the exception of my 1997-1998 Bryan Smolinski gamer, which is my grail/favorite in the collection

I am really enjoying this hobby.

But honestly, replicas don't do it for me. I don't like them much. So if not gamers/issued, what are the options? 2.0's are not even available for retail.

I can't get over how much I love my Hordichuk Canucks gamer..... it's like 10x more awesome than I thought it would be.

I would never think of wearing my game-worn out. That thing is getting framed as soon as I get the dough.

I'd personally probably be afraid to wear a gamer. Forget the fact that I'd never fit in one being that I'm a size large in t-shirts and I could probably fit in a 46 authentic at this point, but if I was still fat I'd still probably never wear a gamer. It's a moot subject for me, though.

only bottom of the barrel shirts that cost <$150 [if at all], imho

or if you do and decide to sell, i think that info has to be disclosed

If I wasn't ok with wearing gamers, I probably wouldn't collect them. I've no interest in framing them or never touching them. I wear them to games which amounts to once a year or so for each jersey. If I own it 10 years, I figure I can handle wearing it 10 times without having any impact on the jersey's appearance.. I take care with them like I would anything else I wanted to keep nice by using common sense: not wearing autographed jerseys in the rain, wearing with a shirt underneath, not wearing while eating. Nothing I could do to them wearing them in the stands would be worse than what they went through during games.

If I wasn't ok with wearing gamers, I probably wouldn't collect them. I've no interest in framing them or never touching them. I wear them to games which amounts to once a year or so for each jersey. If I own it 10 years, I figure I can handle wearing it 10 times without having any impact on the jersey's appearance.. I take care with them like I would anything else I wanted to keep nice by using common sense: not wearing autographed jerseys in the rain, wearing with a shirt underneath, not wearing while eating. Nothing I could do to them wearing them in the stands would be worse than what they went through during games.

This is pretty much spot on my opinion. No point of things rotting in my closet. Show em off!

This is pretty much spot on my opinion. No point of things rotting in my closet. Show em off!

I agree, I wear all my authentics, even the rare ones and also the two gamers I have. I spent a fair bit of bank to pick up the Troy Brouwer white Capitals Locomotiv memorial jersey they wore for one game against the Pens; I do not want that just sitting in my closet for eternity.

I do not plan on selling either of the gamers from my colelction but if I did I would indicate that i subsequently wore it, and washed it before selling to another person.

I wear my gamers around the house while watching games but that's it. I'm not afraid of spilling anything on it myself because I don't eat in it, but if I wore it to a game and somebody behind me or next to me spilled something on me I would A.) Murder them so hard and B.) cry.

I would never want anything to happen to a photomatched jersey, I want that jersey to be exactly as it was on the ice and in the photo. That is essentially my biggest concern. I want the jersey to be exactly as it was when it was last worn.

Of course it's okay to wear them. Serious what do you think you can do as a fan to a jersey that hasn't already been done? Have you ever been in a locker room after a game? The players are using them as rugs, rags and ropes. I wear my Spiders shirts all the time and they $3500 a piece.

95-96 SF Spiders

2124011420098934225S600x600Q85.jpg

Now some of the older stuff I keep in the closet basically because after 40 or 50 years the fabric is breaking down and is very susceptible to snagging

49-51 Detroit Hettches

2164238890098934225S600x600Q85.jpg

It's a personal issue that everyone has an opinion on.

Try and find one for less. Or just try and find one for sale. One of the rarer shirts in the hobby. In perspective... $6000 for a Ranger Gretzky? One of 60 he wore the final season? How rare are those?

Try and find one for less. Or just try and find one for sale. One of the rarer shirts in the hobby.

Yeah. Apparently very rare and quite pricey.

I ignored the initial question of "how expensive is too expensive?".

Condsidering replicas cost $115 + 55 to get lettered (average), we are looking at $170 for a replica. Authentics we'll say $200 + $65 for lettering ($265). I will say $300 is the most expensive I will go for a game worn to wear. If you are going to pay $265 for an autentic to wear, why wouldn't you wear a game used that has the same price?

But other than setting it on fire spilling a coke or dab of mustard ain't gonna do squat to it. The players do a lot worse to them. I saw a guy cleaning up puke with his and then tossing it in the basket. It looked pretty clean the next night. The trainers just chuck them in the washer. REAL wear doesn't wash out.

But other than setting it on fire spilling a coke or dab of mustard ain't gonna do squat to it. The players do a lot worse to them. I saw a guy cleaning up puke with his and then tossing it in the basket. It looked pretty clean the next night. The trainers just chuck them in the washer. REAL wear doesn't wash out.

Exactly. You can't clean out puck marks/board burns, etc and hockey jerseys are designed to take abuse. I usually wash my gamers before I wear them (if I know I'll wear it, I'll wash it). I wear my white gamers proudly (all of my gamers are white, with the exception of a navy which should be coming in very soon)! I won't eat ketchup with while wearing a jersey, but I'll eat chicken fingers and french fries and drink a soda while wearing a jersey. I'm 19...I should be able to get the food in my mouth without spilling on myself*. I usually don't let food fall :). I am worried about tearing it on the crappy seats at the Coliseum that have sharp nails sticking out of them!

*as long as I makes airplane and train noises I can do it.

Exactly. You can't clean out puck marks/board burns, etc and hockey jerseys are designed to take abuse. I usually wash my gamers before I wear them (if I know I'll wear it, I'll wash it). I wear my white gamers proudly (all of my gamers are white, with the exception of a navy which should be coming in very soon)! I won't eat ketchup with while wearing a jersey, but I'll eat chicken fingers and french fries and drink a soda while wearing a jersey. I'm 19...I should be able to get the food in my mouth without spilling on myself*. I usually don't let food fall :). I am worried about tearing it on the crappy seats at the Coliseum that have sharp nails sticking out of them!

*as long as I makes airplane and train noises I can do it.

What about some fool behind you who could spill beer all over it?

What gets beer stains out?

soap + water

So simple.....it just might work!

What about some fool behind you who could spill beer all over it?

What gets beer stains out?

soap + water

Beer doesn't stain. Ketchup might be a pain to get out, but it should be clean after 2-3 washes.