Tkachuk to Atlanta, Rivet to San Jose

LeafyMcLeaf

To Atlanta: Keith Tkachuk

To St. Louis: A First Round Pick in 2007, a second round pick in 2008, Glen Metropolit, A conditional first round pick of Tkachuk resigns.

NOTES: This is easily won by St. Louis. The Thrashers have bet the farm on this year, and aren't good enough. Hossa and Tkachuk are the first two people to disappear the second the playoffs start, and they won't get past the first round with these guys.

To San Jose: Craig Rivet, 2008 5th Round Pick

To Montreal: 2007 1st Round Pick, Josh Gorges

NOTES: Big win by Montreal. Rivet is a third or fourth defenseman, and they get a top pick, AND a prospect? I don't know what San Jose is thinking. They gave far too much for a guy like Rivet.

It's a seller's market - a lot of teams think it could be their year and they're willing to make gross over payments to secure whatever pieces they deem necessary to their potential success. Teams outside of the playoff picture who want to sell proven veterans can make a killing in young up and comers and future picks.

It's a seller's market - a lot of teams think it could be their year and they're willing to make gross over payments to secure whatever pieces they deem necessary to their potential success. Teams outside of the playoff picture who want to sell proven veterans can make a killing in young up and comers and future picks.

That sums it up there. PS: Nice avatar.

Thanks, I was going to do a ND Stafford to match yours but I thought it would be a little lame. I'm happy with the way it came out though - Stafford's stock keeps going up in my book. Following the 2 assist, SO winner, fight against Neil night he had another 2 assist game. Good stuff.

No, what St.Louis received is THIS:

F Glen Metropolit

2007 1st-round pick

2007 3rd-round pick

2008 2nd-round pick

2008 conditional 1st-rd. pick

Highway robbery if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't mortgage the future for Tkachunk, like the Thrashers did.

F Glen Metropolit

2007 1st-round pick

2007 3rd-round pick

2008 2nd-round pick

Highway robbery if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't mortgage the future for Tkachunk, like the Thrashers did.

That's exactly what I was saying to my buddy earlier when talking about the trade. Fatchuk isn't even worth Metropolit and 1st, in my opinion.

First they give away Coburn for Zhitnik and now this trade. Looks like ATL's motto is Stanley or Bust.

What blows my mind is this: why the hell didn't they make the Tkatchuk offer for Forsberg?! They could have sent Coburn, Metropolit and everything else in the Tkatchuk deal for Zhitnik and Forsberg. Can you imagine a playoff powerplay line of Kovalchuk - Forsberg - Hossa? They've sold the farm to try and increase their chances at the cup this year and I think they're still being looked at as long shots - they're prowess hasn't even improved. Tkatchuk and Zhitnik do not send shivers of fear down my spine if I am an opponent. Hossa and Kovalchuk remain the only truly dangerous aspects of that team.

F Glen Metropolit

2007 1st-round pick

2007 3rd-round pick

2008 2nd-round pick

No kidding- WAYYY too much to give up considering that Atl is a best a second round exit this year (sorry inconsistent goaltending and D has me thinking of an early round exit). Davidson is doing his best with what he's got there in the gateway city.

What blows my mind is this: why the hell didn't they make the Tkatchuk offer for Forsberg?! They could have sent Coburn, Metropolit and everything else in the Tkatchuk deal for Zhitnik and Forsberg. Can you imagine a playoff powerplay line of Kovalchuk - Forsberg - Hossa? They've sold the farm to try and increase their chances at the cup this year and I think they're still being looked at as long shots - they're prowess hasn't even improved. Tkatchuk and Zhitnik do not send shivers of fear down my spine if I am an opponent. Hossa and Kovalchuk remain the only truly dangerous aspects of that team.

That was a good idea. I wonder how much say Hartley had in this. I know he has a better head on his shoulders than to agree to make some of these trades. I haven't had any criticism of Waddell, but this leaves me scratching my head.

I honestly think that Atlanta is just looking to make the playoffs this year. Anything beyond that would be gravy for them. The franchise has been around for almost 10 years now without a playoff appearance, so the management is looking to finally get in and prove to their fans that they can compete. Besides, who knows? Maybe they get in as a 6 or 7 seed and upset a division winner. Hell, if they win the division, they can definitely go far.

My opinion? They overpaid big time. Especially for someone who has only 80 games playoff experience and has only gotten out of the first round twice. I guess that what happens when you're stuck on Winnipeg/Phoenix.

The Coyotes never made it out of the first round, I think the Jets last did it in 1988. Now the Dogs can't even get into the playoffs and I don't see it happening anytime soon. :angry:

Tkachuk was awesome in his first season in Phoenix, then there was a nasty holdout situation with Bobby Smith and the next year Jim Schoenfeld tried to make him a more disciplined player, but it made him softer and not the animal he was when they first moved down here. I will say he cost the team with stupid penalties and offsides as much as he helped them. Then they traded him for a package of players which all that remains is Jeff Taffe. That's a whole 'nother can of worms. <_<

The Coyotes never made it out of the first round, I think the Jets last did it in 1988.

1987 actually.

Um, yeah. That is depressing, 20 years since they won a playoff series, 20! I haven't thought of it that way, I try not to. :check: