The NHL @ 2.08.07

Mach_9

So... we haven't seen many posts about the league comings and goings lately. I'll see if I can spark a few conversations here.

**What does everyone think of Sid-the-Kid now? I still don't like him, but he's the real deal. I honestly don't believe he has the sheer talent that Ovechkin, or say Forsberg in his prime, have/had but there is no question in my mind now that unless he has an unfortunately short career he can reach the top 5 in NHL history. He's going to lead the league for years and he's going to be largely uncontested. Ovechkin will never keep up with him, not for lack of talent, but just the immense differences in their games.

**Everyone has had their eyes on Buffalo and Anaheim, and then Nashville slowly crept into the picture and took over first in the league for a bit. While all this was going on, no one seems to have noticed the Red Wings come from virtually nowhere to sit within 2 pts of the top spot in the NHL. Good for them. I've always liked Lidstrom, shed a tear when Yzerman retired (never liked Shanny though...) and now with Zetterberg stepping in as the team's obvious future Detroit is the team I'd put money on for the cup. Zetterberg is on one hell of a hot streak too... I've been having a blast watching him.

**Samsonov on waivers... what a fall from grace. It will be interesting to see how that ultimately pans out (he went unclaimed and I say if they assign him to Hamilton he defects to Russia and doesn't play in the NHL again) and what Montreal is going to do with that freed up cap-space now.

**Forsberg has finally found an insert that works and Bauer is manufacturing a skate with it for him now. He believe he's finally found the solution to his problems and has been playing fairly well of late. Will he sign an extension with Philly or will he go at the deadline? His UFA status allows him to come back to Philly, while taking a shot at the cup this spring, but I think his pride and hesitation to look like he's bailing on the last place Flyers will keep him from going anywhere. He would make one hell of a rental, especially with his skate issues resolved.

**The goal scoring race is pretty tight this year. Who do you think it goes to?

**Can the Av's do anything about Theodore? At this point he's just dead-weight, playing back up to Budaj (who has done quite well...). I say they waive him (no one will claim that contract) and then try to get someone to claim him off re-entry waivers at half price.

**The Sabres have Tim Conolly skating again, but should they really use their remaining $2.2m cap space on him? He's only been back on the ice/working out for about 3 weeks. To get into game shape will take long enough, but to get into competitive playoff condition? I don't think he can make an impact this season - I say that $2.2m should go towards a couple of quality rentals (with the per diem cap system they can afford nearly anyone with that much money remaining - I say they use it).

**So who ultimately makes the playoffs and who doesn't? Who has been a surprise this year and who has been a disappointment? Who is going to the SCF and who is going to win it all this year?

So... we haven't seen many posts about the league comings and goings lately. I'll see if I can spark a few conversations here.

I'll answer in purple.

**What does everyone think of Sid-the-Kid now? I still don't like him, but he's the real deal. I honestly don't believe he has the sheer talent that Ovechkin, or say Forsberg in his prime, have/had but there is no question in my mind now that unless he has an unfortunately short career he can reach the top 5 in NHL history. He's going to lead the league for years and he's going to be largely uncontested. Ovechkin will never keep up with him, not for lack of talent, but just the immense differences in their games.

Why don't you like him?

**Everyone has had their eyes on Buffalo and Anaheim, and then Nashville slowly crept into the picture and took over first in the league for a bit. While all this was going on, no one seems to have noticed the Red Wings come from virtually nowhere to sit within 2 pts of the top spot in the NHL. Good for them. I've always liked Lidstrom, shed a tear when Yzerman retired (never liked Shanny though...) and now with Zetterberg stepping in as the team's obvious future Detroit is the team I'd put money on for the cup. Zetterberg is on one hell of a hot streak too... I've been having a blast watching him.

Watching Zetterberg last night almost made me upchuck. I don't like him, only because of the winged wheel. He doesn't get nearly the exposure he should, however.

**Samsonov on waivers... what a fall from grace. It will be interesting to see how that ultimately pans out (he went unclaimed and I say if they assign him to Hamilton he defects to Russia and doesn't play in the NHL again) and what Montreal is going to do with that freed up cap-space now.

You'd think the new rules would benefit him. With each passing day, the word, "BUST" appears more prevalent.

**Forsberg has finally found an insert that works and Bauer is manufacturing a skate with it for him now. He believe he's finally found the solution to his problems and has been playing fairly well of late. Will he sign an extension with Philly or will he go at the deadline? His UFA status allows him to come back to Philly, while taking a shot at the cup this spring, but I think his pride and hesitation to look like he's bailing on the last place Flyers will keep him from going anywhere. He would make one hell of a rental, especially with his skate issues resolved.

I don't know how he feels about the Flyers, nor do I really care to follow the annual Foppa soap opera.

I haven't looked at the goal scoring race until you just mentioned it. I will play it really safe and say LeCavalier (current leader) will get the Rocket Richard Trophy.

**Can the Av's do anything about Theodore? At this point he's just dead-weight, playing back up to Budaj (who has done quite well...). I say they waive him (no one will claim that contract) and then try to get someone to claim him off re-entry waivers at half price.

It's amazing how that guy has dropped since he won the Hart AND Vezina Trophy five years ago. It goes beyond the broken heel he had. It has to. I don't think he'll be waived.

**The Sabres have Tim Conolly skating again, but should they really use their remaining $2.2m cap space on him? He's only been back on the ice/working out for about 3 weeks. To get into game shape will take long enough, but to get into competitive playoff condition? I don't think he can make an impact this season - I say that $2.2m should go towards a couple of quality rentals (with the per diem cap system they can afford nearly anyone with that much money remaining - I say they use it).

No.

**So who ultimately makes the playoffs and who doesn't? Who has been a surprise this year and who has been a disappointment? Who is going to the SCF and who is going to win it all this year?

Considering that I badly bombed all my playoff predictions last season, I'll take the fifth on these questions.

Done.

I'll add one thing, it is great to see Karlis Skrastins get attention for his iron-man streak. He's more than halfway to Doug Jarvis, but when you pass Tim Horton, you've accomplished something special. He was such a steady defenseman with the Predators and he never misses a game. I was upset when my Coyotes didn't even flinch at him during free agent time.

It is great to see Skrastins get some recognition. He's a great, underrated player.

I don't like Sidney for the same reasons I never liked several other super-star players. Something about him gets under my skin. I see and readily admit that he is a one of a kind talent, but I don't think he deserves as much credit as he's given. He's a mediocre defensive forward. He has a marginal physical impact on games. He's good leader for someone so young. Because of his lightning offensive abilities though, the tremendous Crosby bandwagon parades him as deserving of the Hart, Art Ross, Lady Byng and Selke in the same season. Everywhere I go to discuss hockey I'm told how Crosby is an excellent hitter who doesn't shy away from the physical game, how he is a tremendous defensive asset for his team and how his leadership is second only to guys like Messier and Yzerman. Let's slow down, shall we? The kid is the future of hockey, no doubt, but he doesn't play a style of hockey that I particularly like (doesn't mean I can't respect it) and his unjustifiably huge bandwagon and fan boy collection is such a turn off that I have a hard time enjoying watching him play. He scores on a backhand and it's a better backhand than anyone else who scores with one, just because he shot it. He intercepts a pass and he is a more adept defensive forward than Jere Lehtinen or Patrick Marleau... maybe it's just his following that has me so put off.

Zetterberg... he should included in discussions of the leagues elite, but for the time being he remains underrated. That will likely change as people are becoming more and more aware of him.

I personally would like to see Foppa leave Philly as Forsberg has forever been one of my favorite players and I have never, ever like Philly. I know that if he leaves, however, the intent would be to return as a UFA, so I've lost interest in the entire situation.

I think Ovechkin will get hot towards the end of the year and win the Richard trophy, but it could go to anyone. It'll be good for hockey is Sid gets the Art Ross and Ovie the Richard though.

I sincerely hope Conolly doesn't come back and that Regier has the balls/brains to make a move for the Sabres.

Theodore... I think some of it has to do with the propecia incident and his Paris Hilton scandal. I wish he'd return to his old form, and while I don't see him getting waived either, it's the only way I can really see Colorado succesfully moving him.

I don't but I have a gut feeling Detroit is going to take the cup this year. Buffalo just doesn't seem to have the intensity and toughness necessary to get it done and Detroit seems to be putting all the pieces together at the right time.

I like watching Crosby play, he has made some dazzling offensive moves. I think he's average at best on defense and with physical play, but Gretzky was the same way. Not that he's the next Gretzky, because he's not. When he came to town a few weeks ago, although, he was the best player, beating my team, I enjoyed watching him and I never like watching any player come here and do that. The league needs a young, marketable, talented face the game, he is it. He'll never be the complete player that say, Mark Messier, was, but Crosby is handling everything just fine. He's still young (born on 8/7/87...that is so cool) and can still improve any facet of his game. The biggest complaint that fans in the Western Conference have had this year is that they may not have the chance to see young #87 in person this year, thanks to the schedule. Ditto for Ovechkin. My first viewing choice when there are games on Center Ice has been to watch the Penguins, just to follow him.

Foppa is wasting time on a heinous team. He can really help a contender, but who has the cap room?

Theodore is great player to have in your goaltending stable, but he is an EXPENSIVE backup and he has issues. The Avs are never frugal, so I don't see him going anywhere.

I like watching Crosby play, he has made some dazzling offensive moves. I think he's average at best on defense and with physical play, but Gretzky was the same way. Not that he's the next Gretzky, because he's not. When he came to town a few weeks ago, although, he was the best player, beating my team, I enjoyed watching him and I never like watching any player come here and do that. The league needs a young, marketable, talented face the game, he is it. He'll never be the complete player that say, Mark Messier, was, but Crosby is handling everything just fine. He's still young (born on 8/7/87...that is so cool) and can still improve any facet of his game. The biggest complaint that fans in the Western Conference have had this year is that they may not have the chance to see young #87 in person this year, thanks to the schedule. Ditto for Ovechkin. My first viewing choice when there are games on Center Ice has been to watch the Penguins, just to follow him.

Foppa is wasting time on a heinous team. He can really help a contender, but who has the cap room?

Theodore is great player to have in your goaltending stable, but he is an EXPENSIVE backup and he has issues. The Avs are never frugal, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Foppa's remaining cap hit is roughly 1.8m. Teams like the Sabres with a full 2.2m or so devoted to someone like Conolly who probably can't come back and make an impact can afford him, but I'd bet my well being that Regier never comes close to making that kind of smart, fortifying deal.

Well... this thread didn't work out like I'd hoped it would (feel free to add to it by bringing up any interesting points about the season thus far that you'd like to discuss), but after tonight's showing against Detroit I have to say, Forsberg is, without a doubt, revitalized. He's cutting his edges hard in the corners, playing keep-away, and making things happen for the Flyers. Even when he's not directly having a hand in their goals, he's making all the difference. Good to see. I wonder where he goes at the deadline - several big name rumor mongers speculate that he won't be a Flyer any longer come Friday night. I hear Detroit, Nashville, San Jose, and Vancouver a lot, as well as Montreal (though not as much) and I have to say I'd much prefer Foppa in a Habs' jersey.

You really have to wonder just how long Forsberg can stay healthy...seems like the guy's been made of glass the last few years. If I were an interested team, I'd br real weary about what Philly wants for him...especially since he's hinted that he's going to resign with Philly after becoming a UFA at the end of the year. I'm not sure I'd want to give up a prospect and/or good draft picks for what will basically be a rent-a-player. It's a crapshoot really. He could turn the right team into a Cup contender or even favorite but he could also end up harming a team if he hurts that foot again.

You really have to wonder just how long Forsberg can stay healthy...seems like the guy's been made of glass the last few years. If I were an interested team, I'd br real weary about what Philly wants for him...especially since he's hinted that he's going to resign with Philly after becoming a UFA at the end of the year. I'm not sure I'd want to give up a prospect and/or good draft picks for what will basically be a rent-a-player. It's a crapshoot really. He could turn the right team into a Cup contender or even favorite but he could also end up harming a team if he hurts that foot again.

Since the all-star break Forsberg has been pure gold. He had a new skate made with an insert he feels is the right one for him and he's been a demon since - I doubt he will miss time again this season. As for him being a renal - it's true, but healthy, he's probably the best rental player in the world. His playoff experience, leadership, intensity and skill make him the total package, as most of us know.

He'd definitely be a missing piece to a Nashville, or Anaheim or maybe even San Jose. I've heard rumors that he could go out to Vancouver too. Outside of the Rangers(please God no) and MAYBE Atlanta, I haven't heard any rumors for the East teams.

I don't really like him, mostly because he is lippy and well as one guy I know put it "Crosby is a little woman." His talent is pretty amazing. However I am more in awe of J.Staal and Malkin.

did you see those goals tonight wow they were amazing. I never really thought that Detroit would not be in playoff contention or that they would be doing well...

I don't know what is going to happen to Samsonov but he seemed like he was really good when he was playing for Edmonton. Now not so much. There also needs to be something that happens to the Habs to get them back in to gear, before Christmas Saku was a man on a mission now people are questioning his leadership. Talk about a 180.

I don't know if he will get traded at/before the deadline, there has been rumors that he might go to the Canucks but I don't think that will happen.

out of the leaders I hope that Vinny takes it.

No comment, what I typed...just sounds mean.

Sabers should probably pic someone up but who? I do not know. That is the fun of the deadline.

It will be a dog fight. But Pens and the Canucks? if not the Canucks then Detriot or Flames....

Now for my Question: What will happen to Todd Bertuzzi? Will he come back? Will he get traded?

Now for my Question: What will happen to Todd Bertuzzi? Will he come back? Will he get traded?

I think he's definitely coming back, but all indications are that he is on the trading block. He's expected to return and join a new team for a playoff run though, so we'll see how he performs when he does come back.

Out for the season with disappointment Bertuzzi for Vezina/Hart candidate Luongo and 3rd/4th D-man Krajicek. Highway robbery for Vancouver.

Eh...I've always thought Bertuzzi was overrated. He had that one great year in Vancouver but that's about it. Not much in the playoffs either...and a cancer in the locker room I've heard. I don't know if he'd be worth the price Florida would ask.

Eh...I've always thought Bertuzzi was overrated. He had that one great year in Vancouver but that's about it. Not much in the playoffs either...and a cancer in the locker room I've heard. I don't know if he'd be worth the price Florida would ask.

I actually hear the asking price is surprisingly low. There's a rumor about Biron to FLA for Bertuzzi and Belfour. I don't know how I feel about that - Bertuzzi provides grit and intensity to a Sabres team that could use it for their playoff run while Belfour provides a solid, experienced backup for Ryan Miller - both good things to acquire if they're thinking about the cup, BUT both are horrible guys to have in the locker room and might disrupt the chemistry that seems to be very important for the Sabres. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Zherdev (who has fallen severely out of favor with CBJ) for Bertuzzi.

I think you're better off sticking with Biron to be honest. He's young enough to play a lot if he needs to replace Miller and is still experienced enough to start in the playoffs. Bertuzzi and Belfour are both thugs...Bertuzzi especially.

I think you're better off sticking with Biron to be honest. He's young enough to play a lot if he needs to replace Miller and is still experienced enough to start in the playoffs. Bertuzzi and Belfour are both thugs...Bertuzzi especially.

I'm not in favor of it - it's just something I hear, that would indicate the Bertuzzi price tag is low - I guess he's being viewed as a bust.

Wow not much love for Bertuzzi, I think that he will comeback and play well provided he is in a non hockey market ( southern us) he will probabaly get traded. I don't think he can handle the pressure of being the talk of the town. Bertuzzi has had one great season and then a couple that are good. Last year I think he played pretty well considering that he had back problems thoughout and managed to have to hat tricks and play some fairly good hockey on some nights. From what I have heard about him being a cancer in the lockerroom is most likely blown way out of proportion.

Oh yeah I know what you meant. I was just generalizing. He was made to be such a big deal as an Islander and then when he went to Vancouver he was supposed to bring them the Cup. He didn't end up going to the playoffs until four years in. I don't know...I just don't see what it is.

I'll answer in BOLD

I like Sidney, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see him live a couple of weeks ago in Phoenix, but from what I've seen of him on TV, I've been impressed. I'm still an Ovechkin fan, just for seeing him score that goal on Phoenix last season.

Nashville has gotten scarier with Forsberg and Vishnevsky. The Red Wings will probably make a move and I'm convinced the Ducks may need to. I'll know more after I see them play San Jose in Anaheim in a couple of weeks. Tonight they aren't handling the Coyotes very well.

Any news on the Samsonov thing? I'm waiting to see where he goes too.

Ugh, see my earlier response...Foppa in Nashville... He'll always be an Av to me.

I need to check whose in the lead there, Lecavalier is scoring like crazy lately.

I was against them getting him and I can't wait to see his contract up. I liked Aebischer wayyy better.

Probably won't make an impact this year. Hard to say on him, they need to look long and hard at him this offseason.

Nashville-Buffalo in the finals. 7 games, not sure who'll take it. The Avs miss the playoffs for the first time as the Colorado Avalanche and the rest of the battles go to the wire.

I'm with you - Forsberg will always be an Av (and my all-time favorite), but I'll cheer for him where-ever he is. I became a Nashville fan tonight. When Foppa's contract is up in the summer, we'll see where he goes - if he signs in Nashville, I'll stick with them until he's gone or retires. If he goes elsewhere, so will I.

Speaking of Colorado... Sakic scored his 600th goal tonight in a 5 point evening. Serious comeback victory over Calgary.

argh that's going to kill me in the frozen pond hockey pool. Mach you should do it next year it's free with good prizes (this year: 1st Prize Autographed Johnny Bower NHL Alumni jersey, 2nd A ton of HNIC merchandise, 3rd autographed Joe Thornton 8x10). I'm in 6th right now, the object of the game is to pick who you think will be the top 15 point getters at the end of the season. Entry is usually due at the end of October (that way you can get a feel for who is going to do well). Here is a link: LINK

He only played one year in that jersey - he'll always be an Av instead, in my mind :stickhndl:

Meanwhile, I will be sure to check that pool out LS, thanks for the heads up and good luck this year. As for Forsberg... I'm still excited, I was very upset at the thought of not seeing him on a playoff team for the first time ever, but now that worry is long gone.

Speaking of Colorado... Sakic scored his 600th goal tonight in a 5 point evening. Serious comeback victory over Calgary.

Great news! I really hope the Avs can pull out a playoff spot, but I don't think it'll happen this year. With that being said, I'm looking forward to seeing them in Phoenix on March 17th and 29th.