Others' opinions on CAPS vs. PENS

lethalpuffin

So I'm a Caps fan and here its nothing but caps vs. pens. theres constant hatred and debate on whose a better team. I don't follow much of the rest of the league other than playoffs, so i'm sort of in a bubble. So what does everyone else think that aren't a caps or pens fan?

Do you like one team better than another?

Do you like the rivalry or do you even care about it?

How about the true fans...and the bandwagoners?

Ovi vs. Crybaby? laugh.gif

Hate them both, especially now that Hunter coaches the Caps.

Its over-hyped. I am tired of it being shoved down my throat.

Both are fakes/bandwagoners. Hockey existed before the lockout. Ask how many Caps fans know who Brendan Witt or Jeff Halpern or Peter Bondra is, ask current Pens about Aleksey Morozov or Dairus Kasparaitis or Tom Barrasso

Prefer Ovi to Crosby

As a Hawks fan and more of a Western Conference fan I am indifferent as to the rivalry but am stuck with my own set of bandwagon fans so I feel your pain.

I do have a special loathing for the Pens because we lost to them in 91/92 and a few guys I play hockey with feel the need to give me every update on Crosby unsolicited.

What burns my biscuits is that Ovi and Crosby are not the only pinnacle players out there but if either one gets a fart caught crosswise the NHL act like its the end of the world and talks about it constantly.

I'm also bothered that both teams in Pennsylvania will have played in 2 Winter Classic games before they have run through all of the other rivalry's in the league.

If I had my choice of either Ovi or Crosby to build a team around I'd ask for an option C.

Ovi - from what I see - doesn't seem to be a team player - not saying it's true it just seems to be what gets reported in the Midwest.

Crosby IMO is a crybaby and only succeeds because he is surrounded by a decent team that does pretty well even when he's not there.

Sure, I think both players are good but stop cramming them down everybody's throat.

What ever happened to Hockey being a blue collar TEAM sport for the working class hero's....

Rant over.. sorry.

The NHL will eventually cannibalize itself in to a 16 team league. Too much pandering to the large markets will kill the small even if they manage to be successful. A yotes-panthers final is exciting to see happen but the league would die if the happened more than once a decade.

The capitals got ovi because they were s***ty, but luckily for most of their fans they weren't around through the bad times.

The pens ended up with Crosby in a lottery but people in Pittsburgh act like he was born there or something. Freaking Atlanta could have been 87's home.

In any sense its funny to really prop up many if not all of the current players in the league as being "our guy" or "one of us". None of them care what town they are in as long as the check clears. The day that TGO was traded to the Kings was when this whole thing of playing for a team and really being part of a community died. There are ways to endear yourself to a fan base without having to make any real commitment and these guys are great at it.

Over all its a league defined by tradition and history the more fans the league has that do not have a grasp on that the quicker those things will be lost.

Girl in Boston bar- "If you aren't from Pittsburgh or DC you don't know anything about hockey."

My buddy- "You know you're in an Original 6 city right?"

Girl- "I don't know what that is."

Bob, that statement wasn't directed at you but more of a general point. It's true though; you NEVER hear about Toews in the national hockey media...and last time I checked, he captained his team to a Stanley Cup(like Crosby), was 22 years old at the time(like Crosby) and even has something called a CONN SMYTHE TROPHY with his name on it too. Not to mention he's an early candidate for the Hart Trophy this year as well. But yes; CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY. Never mind the fact that he might not play another game in the league after an albeit unfortunate but perfectly legal hit. But OHHHHH THE NHL HAS TO CRACK DOWN ON HEAD SHOTS BLAH BLAH BLAH. Meanwhile, you have goons like Matt Cooke and Andy Sutton running around and intentionally INJURING other players but nobody ever talks about getting them out of the game. One of their victims, by the way, a Mr. Marc Savard, will never play in the league again. But, how often do you hear about that? Remember when Savard was among the league-leaders in points and assists? No, of course not because nobody talks about him. But, God forbid Ovechkin celebrates a goal too much because then it's all over the place about him being bad for the sport. Matt Cooke wears an A on his chest(or at least did last year during the events). How the hell is THAT not bad for the sport???

I've got news for you too. The day that these folks get their wish and finally remove fighting from the game altogether, is the day when you see many MANY more career-ending head shots and the like. Once fighting is gone, there are no repercussions for any actions taken on the ice. Combine that with the obvious lack of respect that this league is plagued with now and it spells bad news for a lot of the talent; be it current or future.

Matt Cooke wears an A on his chest(or at least did last year during the events). How the hell is THAT not bad for the sport

Completely agree with everything you posted.

In regards to Matt Cooke wearing the A, that pinched a nerve with a lot of the Isles fans in regards to last year's Pens-Isles brawl. Mario Lemieux was talking s*** about the Isles and bitching how he didnt want to be an owner if the NHL allows the Isles actions. But he failed to realize the dirtiest player in the game is an alternate captain on his team :rolleyes:

Personally I'm sick as hell of hearing about Crosby all the time. I feel bad that his career may be over at such a young age. He was a great player, but so are many, many other players in the league. I wouldn't mind having Malkin on my team though. I don't know what's happened to Ovechkin. It's like he's totally lost interest the last two years. I think the rivalry is totally overblown and pushed too much by the NHL. I would rather see Washington win than Pittsburg.

Hate them both, especially now that Hunter coaches the Caps.

Its over-hyped. I am tired of it being shoved down my throat.

Both are fakes/bandwagoners. Hockey existed before the lockout. Ask how many Caps fans know who Brendan Witt or Jeff Halpern or Peter Bondra is, ask current Pens about Aleksey Morozov or Dairus Kasparaitis or Tom Barrasso

Prefer Ovi to Crosby

Let me add to that list of pre-Crosby Penguins to prove that I'm a REAL fan. :D

Noah Welch, Kris Beech, Johan Hedberg, J.S. Aubin, Ric Jackman, Kyle vanden Bussche, Shane Endicott, ###### Tarnstrom, John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Ziggy Palffy, Sebastian Caron, Garth Snow, Michal Sivek, Hans Johnsson, Tomas Surovy... and the list goes on and on.

:P

Pre-Crosby Penguins are my game because that is when I used to go to Penguins games at the Mellon Arena, from 2000 to 2006.

Let me add to that list of pre-Crosby Penguins to prove that I'm a REAL fan. :D

Noah Welch, Kris Beech, Johan Hedberg, J.S. Aubin, Ric Jackman, Kyle vanden Bussche, Shane Endicott, ###### Tarnstrom, John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Ziggy Palffy, Sebastian Caron, Garth Snow, Michal Sivek, Hans Johnsson, Tomas Surovy... and the list goes on and on.

:P

Pre-Crosby Penguins are my game because that is when I used to go to Penguins games at the Mellon Arena, from 2000 to 2006.

I liked the Civic Arena better :P You didn't actually LIKE Garth Snow did you?

To add a few: Jan Hrdina, Krzysztof Oliwa, Steve McKenna, Peter Skudra, Chris Tamer, Ian Moran, Andrew Ference, the second coming of Kevin Stevens....

I liked the Civic Arena better :P You didn't actually LIKE Garth Snow did you?

To add a few: Jan Hrdina, Krzysztof Oliwa, Steve McKenna, Peter Skudra, Chris Tamer, Ian Moran, Andrew Ference, the second coming of Kevin Stevens....

Josef Melichar, Rob Scuderi, Matt Murley, Ross Lupchak, Martin Straka, Matthew Barnaby, Rico Fata, Andre Roy, Andy Chiodo, Steve Poapst... Man, I have an excellent memory. :D And for the record, these are all WITHOUT looking. :P

I only actually clearly remember one great game with Snow in net, and that was Mario's comeback on December 28, 2000, where Snow shut out the Leafs 5-0. I mostly remember his years with the Flyers and Islanders.

MIKE GREEN YOU BUM!!!! ILL SHOW YOU GROIN INJURY!! JERK!! :thumbsup:

what a waste of a draft pick. Sorry I had to vent.

oh ya and The pens are doing just fine without Crosby anyways . Ya blah blah he's a great player and addition to any team blah blah but come on now. Look how well they are doing without him.

That is all.

Yes. It was great coaching to finish worst-overall for all those years and stockpiling #1 draft picks. Great coaching!

So you're telling me you wouldn't want him. That's a bold-faced lie. The Isles have tried that strategy and still have nothing to show for it.

All other things aside, I'm sick of hearing about Crosby every 10 seconds too. Malkin deserves some spotlight, Staal is a huge part of the team. And the supporting guys this year are as good as ever. If they ever get near healthy they'll be a force.

And another thing, all of this anti-Cooke banter and then promoting Ovechkin? He's almost as dirty. Ask Brian Campbell or Sergei Gonchar.

Has anyone honestly heard that much Caps vs. Pens talk this season? Two games this season, and all they talked much about was the Locomotiv tribute.

They talk about Crosby because of the kind of season he was having before he got hurt in January. It was a pretty impressive run, though it seems like a million years ago. I wish they'd just drop it until there's actual news to report, but that's the media.

People need to find something else to complain about.

Bob, that statement wasn't directed at you but more of a general point. It's true though; you NEVER hear about Toews in the national hockey media...and last time I checked, he captained his team to a Stanley Cup(like Crosby), was 22 years old at the time(like Crosby) and even has something called a CONN SMYTHE TROPHY with his name on it too. Not to mention he's an early candidate for the Hart Trophy this year as well. But yes; CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY. Never mind the fact that he might not play another game in the league after an albeit unfortunate but perfectly legal hit. But OHHHHH THE NHL HAS TO CRACK DOWN ON HEAD SHOTS BLAH BLAH BLAH. Meanwhile, you have goons like Matt Cooke and Andy Sutton running around and intentionally INJURING other players but nobody ever talks about getting them out of the game. One of their victims, by the way, a Mr. Marc Savard, will never play in the league again. But, how often do you hear about that? Remember when Savard was among the league-leaders in points and assists? No, of course not because nobody talks about him. But, God forbid Ovechkin celebrates a goal too much because then it's all over the place about him being bad for the sport. Matt Cooke wears an A on his chest(or at least did last year during the events). How the hell is THAT not bad for the sport???

I've got news for you too. The day that these folks get their wish and finally remove fighting from the game altogether, is the day when you see many MANY more career-ending head shots and the like. Once fighting is gone, there are no repercussions for any actions taken on the ice. Combine that with the obvious lack of respect that this league is plagued with now and it spells bad news for a lot of the talent; be it current or future.

Matt Cooke is actually a hockey player, contrary to what a lot of "fans" believe or know about him. I'm not defending his actions or cheap hits, which really are unnecessary and uncalled for. But Cooke is a guy who is instrumental on the Penguins PK. He can also score goals and he puts up a few points. He's NOT your typical enforcer who has 1 goal and 4 assists with 2000 PMs per season. He had 12 goals and 18 assists for 30 POINTS last season? There are regulars who don't even hit that in a season!!! So how can you tell be based on those stats that he doesn't have skill when it comes to scoring? You really can't.

And honestly, it looks like Cooke has learned his lesson from his hits that garnered suspension. He's kept his act pretty clean this year (to this point). But he is a dirty player and is known for his past. But if you mention Matt Cooke as the "dirtiest" player in the league, you also have to mention Andy Sutton (who is much LESS of a complete hockey player than Cooke) and Chris Neil (who has been gooning for as long as he's been in the league) - and how about his elbow to the face on Chris Drury that started the whole Sabres/Senators brawl? THAT was horrendous. :noway:

Matt Cooke is actually a hockey player, contrary to what a lot of "fans" believe or know about him. I'm not defending his actions or cheap hits, which really are unnecessary and uncalled for. But Cooke is a guy who is instrumental on the Penguins PK. He can also score goals and he puts up a few points. He's NOT your typical enforcer who has 1 goal and 4 assists with 2000 PMs per season. He had 12 goals and 18 assists for 30 POINTS last season? There are regulars who don't even hit that in a season!!! So how can you tell be based on those stats that he doesn't have skill when it comes to scoring? You really can't.

And honestly, it looks like Cooke has learned his lesson from his hits that garnered suspension. He's kept his act pretty clean this year (to this point). But he is a dirty player and is known for his past. But if you mention Matt Cooke as the "dirtiest" player in the league, you also have to mention Andy Sutton (who is much LESS of a complete hockey player than Cooke) and Chris Neil (who has been gooning for as long as he's been in the league) - and how about his elbow to the face on Chris Drury that started the whole Sabres/Senators brawl? THAT was horrendous. :noway:

Yeah calling out Lemieux is such utter BS. Cooke's actions have been terrible. Indefensible, really. But rather than just cutting him and making him someone else's problem, the Pens said "You have a chance to clean up your act and be a legitimate hockey player. But if you don't change the way you play, you're out." I mean, I realize a lot of fan hate him and all that, but what are you gonna do, execute him? Mandate that he be kicked out of the NHL? Seems like a real world solution to me.

I missed most of the thread, but I think it's a dumb rivalry, falsely created because both teams sucked a lot at the same time, drafted marketable superstars and are relatively close enough to pretend they hate each other. Let's be real though, there is no history, no relevance in terms of Pittsburgh vs. DC, and fan bases who are too new to realize this...

Please note, this is not an affront at any long time Pens/Caps fans who stuck with their teams through some dark years, just a generalization of how most perceive the newer and larger portion of each fanbase.

Yeah calling out Lemieux is such utter BS. Cooke's actions have been terrible. Indefensible, really. But rather than just cutting him and making him someone else's problem, the Pens said "You have a chance to clean up your act and be a legitimate hockey player. But if you don't change the way you play, you're out." I mean, I realize a lot of fan hate him and all that, but what are you gonna do, execute him? Mandate that he be kicked out of the NHL? Seems like a real world solution to me.

I don't agree with Lemieux calling out the Islanders like that. What transpired in that game should have NEVER happened in the first place. IMO let the league officials handle it. No way either organization needs to speak out and bash the other.