Storing Your Collection

mharolde

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thread -- I really like some of the discussion on topics that affect us all.

As a subset of storage ideas, how are people "displaying" part or all of their collections? Anyone doing anything cool beyond framed jerseys, hanging them on hangers pinned to a wall, etc?

Whether we have 1 jersey in our collection or dozens of them, there is an aesthetic element to them where we want to look at them, show them off, etc, so it would seem cooler to let them be seen rather than just keeping them in closets, boxes or garment bags.

Someone recently posted a link to the guy who had some pretty incredible glass cases built into the walls of his mancave and likely cost some big bucks to do, but is anyone doing anything unique? I always get intrigued by the way the NHL store in NYC puts full uniforms on mannequins, but not sure if that would translate to a house as opposed to a retail store like them.

BTW, BobbyP6565 -- amazing collection you have man. It looks like MEI Gray's warehouse! How many shirts do you have in there? :thumbsup:

I actually have a 2003 Devils jersey with the Stanley Cup patch signed by the whole team, and I haven't found a good way to display it in my office yet. I had a HUGE shadowbox frame that just looked ridiculous, then I folded it so just the signed crest showed in a 15" x 15" shadowbox frame. I'd love to get it done professionally but that's so expensive. I am looking at a frame that's only 1 1/2 inches thick now, thinking I may try that one next.

I have that also to cover my jerseys and my guitars and amps. I have a detailed list of what I own with serial numbers for the guitars and amps.

In my case, I have a 'personal articles' policy on my homeowners that covers my jerseys, as well as all my gameworn/game-used stuff - I also have spreadsheets detailing everything, with values, etc. and tons of pics for back-up -

Awesome thread -- I really like some of the discussion on topics that affect us all.

BTW, BobbyP6565 -- amazing collection you have man. It looks like MEI Gray's warehouse! How many shirts do you have in there? :thumbsup:

Thanks - I've been collecting for a long time - here's the current count -

NHL -

136 gameworn hockey jerseys

320 authentic or authentically-lettered replica NHL jerseys including at least two for every team in existence since the late 80's & at least one of every 3rd jersey going back to the inception of the program in 1995.

456 total NHL, 85% of which are fighters/enforcers/goons

Plus -

1 gameworn football jersey - Nic Clemons Redskins

172 authentic NFL jerseys, including at least one per team

53 authentic & authentically-lettered replica baseball jerseys

8 authentic basketball jerseys

2 authentic soccer jerseys

692 grand total jerseys in the closet

I don't display any of my jerseys - helps keep them dust-free, plus my basement is full of sticks, gloves, helmets and auto'd pics of most of the goons in the closet (plus many for which I do not yet have a gameworn jersey) - also most of one wall is football and hockey McFarlanes going back to their first set in the late 90's -

006_zpsfe6700d3.jpg

007_zps82f13991.jpg

001_zpsc021919c.jpg

Wow, can't believe you have all those McFarlanes. I thought I had a lot, it's nothing compared to yours! And all those sticks, crazy stuff!

I thought home insurance would cover your jerseys, just gotta let them know of what you have so they have a record of it.

• 4 months later...

Is it true that hanging the jerseys individually in large plastic bags is a bad idea ?

I don´t have them like that, but today i saw some yellow spots on unworn jerseys !

I also have alot of baseball jerseys, just notiched the mesh under the arms of those unworn Majestic coolbase jerseys have yellowed, no smole or pets !............ :wacko:

Mine have their own dedicated walk-in closet - gamers as well as authentics/replicas. No issues with yellowing -

010_zps2584b0ae.jpg

006_zps95952134.jpg

009_zps3cd79e49.jpg

Every time I see that I am in awe.

Not at your jerseys, at your closet space. You must be single or have an awesome wife.

Married 19 years - her jewelry case is quite full - she wants for little, plus she has her hobbies as well.

Its all a negotiation - I got this walk-in and the mancave/basement when we had our house built - she got the rest of the house to do with as she pleases..........

You should have your own section in the HHOF here in Toronto to display your collection.

• 3 weeks later...

So my collection is still rather small, (only 4 so far), but I have quickly found I'm not quite sure how to "protect" or "store" a jersey especially if I'm adding more and more soon.

I mean I'm not collecting to put into shadowboxes or frames, (unless they're signed etc), I wear my authentics. But when not worn do you guys just place them like regular clothing on a hanger in the closet? Or do you put a plastic cover, (like from a cleaners), over it to protect from dust and the like?

Thanks for any feedback.

I myself have my most frequently worn jerseys on display on my walls covered by the cleaner plastic ponchos-- as far as the more collectible or unused jerseys i have most of those in my closet hung in garment/suit bags

I haven't run into any issues with either method but i am concerned about possible yellowing or other negative effects from the plastic, but i'm not sure of the likelihood of that

Mine are kept in their own dedicated walk-in closet I had put in specifically for them when we had our house built. Fourteen years of being in there, no dust, no yellowing - authentics and authentically-lettered replicas down one side, double-hung, and gamers down the other on face-outs, plus a few gamers displayed from hooks cascading from the top section of the authentics/replicas (removed when first pic was taken) -

010_zps2584b0ae.jpg

006_zps95952134.jpg

009_zps3cd79e49.jpg

012_zps6eda8249.jpg

Mine are just hung on the one side of my walk in closet. Nothing fancy. One day when the wife fills her walk in and starts encroaching on mine then they will have to move somewhere else.

Once I finish my basement I will be buying a garmet rack and will put them on that in my man cave.

Dear God that is an impressive collection. Good to know about the no dust/no yellowing.