• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Picked up a black 1996-99 Nike Flyers jersey recently.  Thinking of making a Coffey out of it but I'm having a difficult time finding a good shot of the back of him as he was only with the team for one season where they wore the black Nikes.  I've gone through Getty images and all I can find is a frontal shots.  Any other avenues to search?

apr-1998-defenseman-paul-coffey-of-the-p

Whenever I can't find a photo of a gamer I want, I look for same year gamer pics of other players who have numbers or letters in common with the player I want.  I also look through video footage, which may not always be clear, but often is good enough to confirm what I'm looking for.  I took a quick look, and I'm almost completely sure that Coffey's font is consistent with Ruberti's pre-lockout black jersey font, the one with the rectangular holes in the B's and R's, as well as the longer centerposts in the E's and F's.  Will try to post pics as soon as I can.

The video stills aren't clear, but I think they back up what I said earlier.  The last 2 pics  are of 97/98 gamers.  (I lifted the LeClair from robta77's website- I'm sure he won't mind if his photo helps out a fellow Flyers fan!)

IMG_7691_zpsjmfi0zzy.png

IMG_7689_zpssxqbva8g.png

IMG_7692_zpsqbmr9zs2.jpg

IMG_7693_zpsimvsg3yv.jpg

Edited by LAK74

Sweet!  Thanks @LAK74!  That'll do.  I'm finding that this black font is tricky.  I was actually thinking of doing a Brindamour, but honestly, it's a really long name and on a size 48 it looks kind of odd. 

After re-reading Johnny's Flyers font thread, it looks like EPS should be able to handle these pre-lockout black jerseys.  They even have the Flo-knit nameplate material.  And, their spring sale is on.  Looks like I'm winning all around here!  I was gonna do my typical Ruberti's run, but it's getting difficult to get things done there, and they can't seem to get the black jerseys correct.

EPS did a Nike Coffey Flyers for me, although it was the white one.  The 7's turned out really nice, and they should be the same for the black jersey font.  The only question mark would be the letter font, where the orange layer seemed to vary in thickness between sets.  The 97/98's seemed to have a thin orange layer on the letters, so if EPS can do them like they did on the Timonen nameplate in Johnny's post, you should be OK.

32 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

EPS did a Nike Coffey Flyers for me, although it was the white one.  The 7's turned out really nice, and they should be the same for the black jersey font.  The only question mark would be the letter font, where the orange layer seemed to vary in thickness between sets.  The 97/98's seemed to have a thin orange layer on the letters, so if EPS can do them like they did on the Timonen nameplate in Johnny's post, you should be OK.

Hmm. I'm surprised that they were able to get the font right on the white Flyers.  As from Johnny's thread, it seemed like they couldn't get that old font 100% right?  Or, maybe I misread?  I have an orange 1996-97 Nike that I was gonna have Ruberti's do, but if EPS can do the correct font, I might just have them do that one, too.

For reference:

3422530_orig.jpg

Johnny insisted that the Ruberti's and EPS white fonts were different, but I honestly can't see anything significantly different, except that maybe the Ruberti's B's and R's are microscopically wider than the EPS ones, but I'm not even sure about that.  Coffey obviously didn't have any B's or R's in his name, so I just sent it to EPS, and it looked fine to me.  Got a cheaper, neater cutting/stitching job, plus a flo-knit nameplate, so I was certainly happy about that.

EDIT:  Found a picture of the EPS lettering.  If you see anything weird about it, let me know what you think.

IMG_7696_zpszuj3v5xk.jpg

Edited by LAK74

That looks absolutely spot-on to me.  That's all the proof I need to get my orange jersey done there, too.  It'll be a Renberg. 

The black jersey font is so problematic with the B's, E's and R's that choosing Coffey was a big motivator, truthfully.  Just don't feel like dealing with the inconsistencies.  Thanks again, man.

Any time, man.

Although, inside a law office somewhere, Johnny's probably going "NO, DON'T DO IT!!!"  Lol.  Miss that guy, though.

28 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Any time, man.

Although, inside a law office somewhere, Johnny's probably going "NO, DON'T DO IT!!!"  Lol.  Miss that guy, though.

I think if he knew what a sh*t show it's turned into over there, he'd understand ;)

When did Timonen start wearing the A for the Predators? I need to know if I should request it for my Koho alt. It looks like he didn't start wearing it until the 05-06 season but I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, TheKevinShow said:

When did Timonen start wearing the A for the Predators? I need to know if I should request it for my Koho alt. It looks like he didn't start wearing it until the 05-06 season but I'm not sure.

"He has worn the "A" for Nashville since 2001-02"

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/predators-name-captains-for-2006-07/c-438976

• 2 weeks later...

1999-00 New Jersey Devils Pro Player. 

Was stripped and the back numbers left an outline; it doesn't seem to be glue that I can feel, but the area where the numbers were is lighter than the rest of the jersey. I am going to try to clean this up. If I can, it will probably be either a Ken Daneyko or a Colin White. 

In the event it does not, I need a double digit number with no 1's to assure maximum coverage. I will only put a player I don't already have.

Brodeur, Elias, Niedermayer and Rafalski are out because I already have them. 

The list of players that are in consideration are:

Arnott #25 (not my favorite, but that Cup winning goal!)

Gomez #23 (this jersey was previously a #23)

Lemieux #22

Mogilny #89 (not a fan of getting a one-season wonder on this jersey)

Odelein #24

Oliwa # 29

What says IJ on this issue?

Leave out the scrubs (Odelein, Oliwa). 

Arguments for remaining players in order of best options to worst: 

- Lemieux - Who doesn't love a pest?

- Mogilny's career is criminally underrated. Watching him play was always a treat. 

- Gomez was a great devil

- Arnott. Cup clincher is iconic. 

5 minutes ago, Zeshy25 said:

- Arnott. Cup clincher is iconic. 

And, its the same year jersey and even the right color. Just watched it like 5 times in a row. That may have to happen. 

1 minute ago, Zeshy25 said:

Arnott wouldn't be a bad choice but, I am curious now as to why you don't have a Lemieux.

Just happens to be that way. Thinking of doing a 95 Cup Finals Lemieux now. 

I'm going to be packing up my Stars authentics soon to ship off to Blake's. I'm not sure who I should put on them. I have a 2000-04 white, a 2005-06 Mooterus and a 2007-08 1.0 black. Modano would be a good choice for any of them but I'd like to mix it up and ideally get a different player on each one.