• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody, you send it to me.

in all seriousness you could go with the captain at the time Dougie G, or the best player I've ever seen in a Leafs jersey Mats or my favourite Leaf of all time Wendel or if goalies are your thing you could go with the Cat like I have on mine.  Failing that you can go off the board and do Domi, or Muller, or Ellett or Schneider etc

Well I have narrowed it down to either Doug or Wendel. Sundin I have dismissed as I don't like 13. I have also ruled Domi out as I have a 28 3rd alternate and it looks fab (might be you I got it from). 

If it makes things worse I got it for less than that price too.

Yeah maybe, I don't remember 3/4 of the stuff I've sold but I do remember having a Dougie heritage that I sold, wish I'd have held onto it.

nothing wrong with scoring a deal.

TBTC's are almost nonexistent now.  I've maybe seen two for sale in the past year.  That's it.

I bought a Reebok 1.0 in size 46 for my wife.  Just got it in.  I am not sure which years the Flyers wore their black 1.0s, though.  Was it just 2007-08?  Or, did they wear them longer?  The born on tag shows 10/2009, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were wearing them on the ice at that time.  Trying to find a valid year range so I can decide who to put on it.  I was thinking Briere, since 07 was his first year as a Flyer, and he was pretty awesome that year, but I'm a little nervous of how the back numbers will look on a 46.  Will they even fit?  Could do Richards since 18 is a little narrower than 48.  And, if they wore them past 08, I could even put a "C" on it.

WWIJD?

s-l1600.jpg

My sister had me get her a 2.0 after we went to a game and she saw how terrible everything including her replica looked in comparison. Had JB do the customization to save time, and because she didn't really care either. He just put slightly scaled down numbers so it looked more proportional. They're about 10.75 inches and you can't really even tell.

So I guess my point is that you should be able to get whatever number you want and have it look good as long as you're willing to accept them scaling it down a bit, which I was in that case.

Edited by JoeM7392

The Flyers used the 1.0 black jersey in 2007-08 only.  Reebok kept making retail 1.0's in this style beyond that season however, even though by then the Flyers were only wearing 2.0's on-ice.

This is a trivial point, but your jersey was manufactured as a retail third jersey, as I think the code on the paper tag contains a "T" at the end.  (Of course there isn't any difference between it and the retail home jersey from 2007-09.)

I had the same concerns as you with my black 1.0, so I just went with Richards with an "A" for 2007-08.

14 minutes ago, JoeM7392 said:

My sister had me get her a 2.0 after we went to a game and she saw how terrible everything including her replica looked in comparison. Had JB do the customization to save time, and because she didn't really care either. He just put slightly scaled down numbers so it looked more proportional. They're about 10.75 inches and you can't really even tell.

So I guess my point is that you should be able to get whatever number you want and have it look good as long as you're willing to accept them scaling it down a bit, which I was in that case.

I'll be taking it to Ruberti's and I don't even know if they can scale the numbers, honestly. I'm kind of picky on customization (even if it's not for me) so I'd much rather have the full-size numbers. But, I guess if they don't fit right then it would be a whole other issue.

6 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

The Flyers used the 1.0 black jersey in 2007-08 only.  Reebok kept making retail 1.0's in this style beyond that season however, even though by then the Flyers were only wearing 2.0's on-ice.

This is a trivial point, but your jersey was manufactured as a retail third jersey, as I think the code on the paper tag contains a "T" at the end.  (Of course there isn't any difference between it and the retail home jersey from 2007-09.)

I had the same concerns as you with my black 1.0, so I just went with Richards with an "A" for 2007-08.

Yup, "M7187111T2".  Since the jersey is exactly the same apart from the year it was made, I am ok with it being made into a 2007-09 home.  I had a feeling this was the case (with the team switching in 2008-09 but Reebok continuing to make the retails beyond that timeframe) so I am really glad I asked.  Would you happen to have a pic of that Richards?  How did it turn out?  I am thinking of going this route.

Another issue you may have with a 46 is that the full-sized nameplate may have to be moved down really low so that the upper corners of it do not overlap onto the white shoulder panels.  Mine is a size 50, and you can see that the nameplate is a little low and still comes pretty close to touching the white/orange borders.  It may be much worse with a 46.

image_zps1puasaom.jpeg

Ugh, I see what you mean.  It looks fine on that 50, but a 46 is even narrower at the top.  Think I might just go with Briere and hope for the best.

I hate to add to your troubles, but I just remembered another issue I had regarding how Ruberti's did the lettering for this jersey.  For some reason, for the black jersey they always cut the back numbers a little too large, around 3/8" too big.  I think the white layer is correct, but the orange layer is too big, which not only makes the overall size too large, but the amount of orange showing on the borders is excessive, and it also makes the holes in the 8 look too small.  I've seen many people's black jerseys come back from Ruberti's looking like this, so I know it wasn't just a mistake on mine.  This is how my jersey looked the first time I got it back:

image_zpshysqh6ok.jpeg

I later had the back numbers redone so they now look like they do in the first
picture I posted.  I remember having a nice chat with robta77 about this, as he was nice enough to give me detailed measurements of his gamers from that era.

I remember that Don had a hard time trying to figure out what to do about this, because they supposedly still cut these older kits by hand.  I ended up asking him to use the template they used for the white Edges (which is actually correct in size), but using the correct color twills for the black jersey, and they came out just fine.
Edited by LAK74

I'd get someone who could scale down the numbers. The problem is created by the fact that the jersey itself is scaled down, it only makes sense to scale down the customization to make it look correct. It might not be "on-ice" correct, but nobody wears a 46 on ice anyway. 

I agree, but it may be very difficult to get the font to look right if you use a different letterer.  Even EPS' version of the letters is noticeably different.

6 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I agree, but it may be very difficult to get the font to look right if you use a different letterer.  Even EPS' version of the letters is noticeably different.

I'd start by asking the official customizer if they can scale it down. I had EPS do two youth jerseys for my daughter, which required the customization to be scaled way down obviously, and they look amazing, exactly accurate in shape, just smaller size. 

I am confident someone who accurately does Flyers jerseys must be able to shrink it, its just a matter of figuring out who that is

Short of that, think short names and possibly single digits. 

Yeah, I had noticed in the past that Ruberti's outlines are a little wide.  Kind of odd since they were the ones that did these jerseys originally.  Not sure what changed.  I am going to ask them what their opinion is (for scaling down, etc).  I could also go with Gagne (12). Short name, slimmer numbers than 48, no odd-looking 8 holes.  Although he was side-lined with concussions for over half that season.  There's always Carter (17).

Decisions...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TheKevinShow said:

Any thoughts on who to put on a 96-98 Blues? Brett Hull would be an easy choice, but I kind of want to save him for when I pick up a 97-99 Stars alt.

How about a young (but very productive in 97-98) Pavol Demitra?