Starter Authentic Sizes?

DropkickMurphy8

Didn't really wanna start a new thread but I couldn't figure out where else to ask so - As far as Starter authentic sizes go, did they ever make 50's? Or was it 48-R and then 52-R?

Not that I have ever seen. 46, 48, 52, 54, and 56 are the sizes that I have come across in Starter authentics in regular cut. 54 is kind of rare, but I have at least one Kings in that size. When the closeouts hit Value City in 2000, I never saw size 50, nor do I remember that being offered by any of the retailers at that time.

Not that I have ever seen. 46, 48, 52, 54, and 56 are the sizes that I have come across in Starter authentics in regular cut. 54 is kind of rare, but I have at least one Kings in that size. When the closeouts hit Value City in 2000, I never saw size 50, nor do I remember that being offered by any of the retailers at that time.

That's what I figured. Most of the 48's are cut too small for me, but the 52's are cut big. Therein lies a dilemma if I ever want an authentic Liberty, or run across one I can afford.

That's what I figured. Most of the 48's are cut too small for me, but the 52's are cut big. Therein lies a dilemma if I ever want an authentic Liberty, or run across one I can afford.

I have a blue Liberty in 52 and it is huge, bigger than pretty much all other 52 Starters that I have.

• 4 weeks later...

What doesn't help at all in the whole Starter jersey history is that the tagged sizes and the actual sizes of the jerseys were all over the place.

You mean a size 52-R could be a an actual size 56? And a size 46-R could be a size 54? Do you have any sources other than yourself regarding this issue? How many jerseys have you had this problem with? And how did you discover it?

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Edited by Lesky

You mean a size 52-R could be a an actual size 56? And a size 46-R could be a size 54? Do you have any sources other than yourself regarding this issue? How many jerseys have you had this problem with? And how did you discover it?

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Talk to Akteon. He has some pretty interesting pictures and measurements. Seen my fair share of jerseys with this issue, although it's not necessarily the norm. I discovered it over the years of collecting jerseys.

I have 4 starter jerseys myself.

1 size 46-r. 1 size 48-R and 2 54-R. And they all seem to be correct - the jerseys with larger sizes are larger. But one could argue the difference on some of them are very Small. So that could perhaps be an error anyway.

Is it all Starter jerseys that are supposed to have this problem or only certain years or teams?

Edited by Lesky

yea sizing in starter is a hassle. It isnt just with their authentics its with their replicas too. I got a replica thats a medium but its cut like an XL. When looking for starters its good to ask for the cut of the jersey as they varied heavily.

yea sizing in starter is a hassle. It isnt just with their authentics its with their replicas too. I got a replica thats a medium but its cut like an XL. When looking for starters its good to ask for the cut of the jersey as they varied heavily.

When you say asking for the cut - do you mean to ask if there is an error - that the jerseys is bigger or smaller than it should be? Or do you mean certain years were different cuts by standard?

Hard to tell what's an error and what was meant to be normal I would guess, since there seems to be no standard.

So basicly this means one should ask for measurements of every Starter jersey if one wants to be sure of what one are buying?

When you say asking for the cut - do you mean to ask if there is an error - that the jerseys is bigger or smaller than it should be? Or do you mean certain years were different cuts by standard?

I mean is if you see a starter jersey in your size i would ask about the length and width of the jersey to make sure its your cut or close to it.

Well I guess I'll have to see what happens with this jersey I have coming in, and if it's no good I'll just have to sell it. I hope it fits though, because I'd really like to keep it.

I was actually going to make a list of authentic starter jersey measurements - but after hearing this that would serve no purpose at all I guess?

I have quite a few Starter authentic jerseys (between 20-25) and *most* of them seem to be true to size.

I personally haven't seen any sizing issues with the Starter knit jerseys, though I only have two (Panthers and Kings).

All of the sizing issues I've seen were with Starter mesh jerseys, but still somewhat rare - just going by memory I can only think of 4 that were radically mis-sized: the 60-R Avs, two 52-R Rangers Navy Alts, and a 58-G Rangers Blue (95-96 style). Granted, I didn't measure all of them, just the ones that were noticeably larger or smaller than I expected.

If I ever get around to photographing and re-organizing my entire collection (which I've been planning to do for a couple years) I'll see about getting some good measurements.

I actually have a large Starter replica that's a bit tight, and I've lost weight. I have two other larges (CCM and Koho) and both fit. The Koho is one of my Liberty jerseys, and it fits but it could always fit better. The CCM is the royal blue from the 90's and that has a little more room in it. I expected the Starter to fit when I got it. It's not unwearable, but I need to lose a few more pounds before it's comfortable.

I have quite a few Starter authentic jerseys (between 20-25) and *most* of them seem to be true to size.

I personally haven't seen any sizing issues with the Starter knit jerseys, though I only have two (Panthers and Kings).

All of the sizing issues I've seen were with Starter mesh jerseys, but still somewhat rare - just going by memory I can only think of 4 that were radically mis-sized: the 60-R Avs, two 52-R Rangers Navy Alts, and a 58-G Rangers Blue (95-96 style). Granted, I didn't measure all of them, just the ones that were noticeably larger or smaller than I expected.

If I ever get around to photographing and re-organizing my entire collection (which I've been planning to do for a couple years) I'll see about getting some good measurements.

I have 23 Starter authentics, 21 air-knit (2-56, 2-54, 17-52), and 2 mesh (1-48, 1-52). The air-knits seem to run slightly smaller than CCM and Nike from that era. Do I notice a lot of difference in fit between same sized jerseys, perhaps. Remember, Starter made jerseys in at least 3 factories in El Salvador, Haiti, and the USA. So, an El Salvador Coyotes 52 jersey may be slightly different than a USA one. A 52 is (generally) a 52, as are the other sizes. But it's the mesh where there are a lot of differences. The 52 Rangers is huge, whereas the 48 Avalanche is small, especially the sleeves. I always found that interesting. To try to generalize sizes on jerseys is almost impossible. It will always be an inexact science.

The 52 Rangers is huge, whereas the 48 Avalanche is small, especially the sleeves.

That makes me worried. I have a 48 Rangers that fits good, and I'm getting a 48 Avs, and now I'm worried it's gonna be small...

Since I'm currently snowed in, I pulled out my Starter Avs. It's a road, Wisconsin-made 48-R. In retrospect, it fits better than I remembered. From collar to end of sleeve is approx. 31". At the body, measured at the fight strap level is approx. 27" seam to seam. And overall length, measured from the top of the collar in the back to the bottom hem is just over 32" long. Will El Salvador jerseys be different? I don't know. Could there be variances between other USA-made jerseys of the same size? Possibly. I still think that the sleeves on this seem shorter than most other jerseys. I hope that this helps, CJ. Compare this to your NYR jersey.

Edit: My 52-R El Salvador NYR Liberty measures 34" collar to sleeve, a massive difference. At the body, 28" seam to seam, about the right difference between a 52 and 48. And the length is 34 & 3/4". These are the only two Starter mesh I have. Different sizes, different teams, different manufacturing facilities. One seems a little small for it's size, the other seems a little big for it's size. But not really anything to be alarmed about, except for those Avs sleeves.

Edited by rabinsurance