Understanding set numbers

wooten

I recently bought a game jersey with an oddity. The set number from the team is set 1, but it's from a yer that the player didn't play f the team. He wuld have been a rookie for them the next year. It is the right rookie number and the right jersey for the year, but it's weird that the set year is off. This is a scrub player more or less, so I don't see any reason to fake it. It's also a third jersey, so it would be unlikely it was from preseason or some such.

Do teams ever use jerseys from one year to the next? Would they ever make a jersey for someone before they we're even assigned to the team? What are your thoughts on this stuff? What are plausible explanations?

Is there any wear on the jersey? Could be that the team prepared it expecting a call up, then used it the next year without taking the set tag off? Or its just a jersey they prepared, and then never actually used?

It's most likely an issued jersey. The teams are always prepared for anyone on the roster to make the team and therefore they'll always have jerseys available to them. It was most likely never used by anyone else if there's no name replacement. The days of recycling jerseys in the NHL are long over unfortunately. Nowadays, jerseys are much easier to come by and players always have multiple sets. The only instances where a jersey may be reused are when trades are involved and there's very little time to have a new one made up for the player.

It's most likely an issued jersey. The teams are always prepared for anyone on the roster to make the team and therefore they'll always have jerseys available to them. It was most likely never used by anyone else if there's no name replacement. The days of recycling jerseys in the NHL are long over unfortunately. Nowadays, jerseys are much easier to come by and players always have multiple sets. The only instances where a jersey may be reused are when trades are involved and there's very little time to have a new one made up for the player.

I talked some with the person I bought it from and the story from the equipment manager was that the player was set for a call up, so they had the jersey ready. As it was, the player didn't play that year and made his debut for the team the next year. I've confirmed all of this through player databases and what not as well as my memory. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less interesting, but it's mine now, so I guess I'll live with it :^) It is one of my favorites and it's neat to have the RBK 6100 version.

Here's the jersey:

2006-07 Murray

Regarding reusing jerseys, I have seen some strange set stamps with CBJ jerseys. One has two different years in it, one at the hem and one at the collar. Another has a set stamp from one year, but a removed patch...but the patch would've only been worn the year before.

Strange that it has the RBK neck tag on a team-issued jersey.

Glad someone commented on this. I've seen this on 3 different ones from this period with the same thing. Origin, names of contacts match up. These are also scrubs...is it possible the team just did them this way, or is that unheard of for 2006-07 jerseys?

!CENpT3QBGk~$(KGrHqYOKioE0sKbl8P+BNRL)OPPLQ~~_12.JPG

I've seen it before too. I think...THINK it could be as a result of a late call-up. The team doesn't have a normally game-issued jersey readily available so they grab one from the pro shop blank and have it customized quickly so the guy has a jersey to play in. That makes sense, doesn't it?

I've seen it before too. I think...THINK it could be as a result of a late call-up. The team doesn't have a normally game-issued jersey readily available so they grab one from the pro shop blank and have it customized quickly so the guy has a jersey to play in. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Yeah, but this is the NHL we are talking about here, they never do what makes sense.

It would be hilarious if a player is forced to play wearing a Premier jersey with the jock tag.

Okay, here's the whole story.

The CBJ equipment guys make up entire sets of game jerseys at the beginning of the season, and all of them except the most prominent roster players are designated as Set 1. They're used all through the preseason, then, as players get sent down, returned to their junior teams, go back overseas, or are released, they get stashed away in the dark corners of the equipment room. The late cuts who are likely to be re-called at some point may have their jerseys closer at hand and be brought on road trips in the event of a call-up in the middle of a road swing. The prominent roster players have a second set ready to go at the beginning of the season, and it's tagged as Set 2.

Columbus does recycle jerseys, jersey parts, and other oddities.

What I call CBJ Airknit 2.1 (airknit jersey, second slate of secondary logos, RBK tagging) featured an entire set of preseason jerseys that are tagged either 2005-06 or 2006-07 Set 1 for pretty much everyone in the system. Somewhere out there are #71 Steve Mason, #32 Derick Brassard, #42 and #69 Derek Dorsett, #64 Jared Boll, and #33 Gilbert Brule. There's also #70 Kris Russell, but I know where both of those are (in my closet).

This usually happens with late acquisitions rather than late call-ups, although each team is different.

Glad someone commented on this. I've seen this on 3 different ones from this period with the same thing. Origin, names of contacts match up. These are also scrubs...is it possible the team just did them this way, or is that unheard of for 2006-07 jerseys?

There are some jerseys from 2005-06 and 2006-07 that have the Koho or CCM neck tagging on the inside and a sewn RBK patch on the outside. I distinctly remember a Marc Denis that had this. And there are some that have internal RBK tagging, most of which, as you said, were from the lower-level players.

I'm not sure the exact reason for it.

Yeah, but this is the NHL we are talking about here, they never do what makes sense.

It would be hilarious if a player is forced to play wearing a Premier jersey with the jock tag.

Here's a shot of the tag, and set stamp.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Other than the tag oddity, everything is right about the history and names of where it came from here in Columbus. Now that I have it in hand, I can add that this definitely was not worn. For all I know, it was worn only for team pictures or something. If my memory is right, he was expected to be back and forth that year, but ended up staying at the AHL the entire year, only to debut the next year. Those would've been Edge jerseys, so he never wore this jersey unless it was for a team photo or something similar. I wish I had another team issued or game worn from this year so I could compare it.

I talked some with the person I bought it from and the story from the equipment manager was that the player was set for a call up, so they had the jersey ready. As it was, the player didn't play that year and made his debut for the team the next year. I've confirmed all of this through player databases and what not as well as my memory. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less interesting, but it's mine now, so I guess I'll live with it :^) It is one of my favorites and it's neat to have the RBK 6100 version.

Here's the jersey:

2006-07 Murray

Regarding reusing jerseys, I have seen some strange set stamps with CBJ jerseys. One has two different years in it, one at the hem and one at the collar. Another has a set stamp from one year, but a removed patch...but the patch would've only been worn the year before.

So your the one that beat me out for this jersey! lol This is 1857 Howitzer from HF. :D

So your the one that beat me out for this jersey! lol This is 1857 Howitzer from HF. :D

Haha...yep. Still sort of surprised it went this high, but i really went after it because I like Murray and I believe this is probably the best CBJ jersey in their short history. There was an unnamed #19 that ended the next day, but i don't think it had a set stamp. Did you get that one?

Haha...yep. Still sort of surprised it went this high, but i really went after it because I like Murray and I believe this is probably the best CBJ jersey in their short history. There was an unnamed #19 that ended the next day, but i don't think it had a set stamp. Did you get that one?

No I did not bid on that one. I was mostly biding on it because it was the RBK version. You got a cool jersey with a little bit of a mystery with it.