What do you look for in a jersey?

jukierules

When you guys are looking for a jersey, what are you guys looking for? Particular color, player, team, era? Does you collection have a theme, or do you just see something you like and buy it? Do you have any funny collecting habits?

Me, I'm not a fan of white jerseys. The only white jersey I consider buying is a Flames jersey. For some reason, I just don't like white. For me it's more visually exciting to have bright colors, they really pop to me. I think that's why I tend to like older jerseys too, they have brighter, bolder colors especially through the 90's before teams seemed to shift towards darker, more muted colors.

I also seem to gravitate towards what I deem more "intricate" designs. A couple of my favorites are the old Sens alt with the gold laurel leaf stripes and the Kelowna Rockets Alternate with "Kelowna" in big bright letters diagonally across the chest.

I like player jerseys who share a name with me too. I'm a Curtis Joseph fan. Plus it's kind of cool to wear your name on the back of a jersey. Perhaps my best example of this is my Kelowna jersey witch was worn by a player named Colin Joe who wore #7. Perfect because my name and favorite number are on it!!

What I look for is, older jerseys, uncommon jerseys (worn for one year, or to commemorate something), third jerseys, Toronto Maple Leafs, Felix Potvin, Darius Kasparaitis.

Mainly the team, I'm an Avalanche fan and I want some good Jerseys of theirs, if I can get hold of jerseys worn during great times then thats a plus, I'd say that I am on the look out for 96/01 Authentics more than most.

Aside from the Avs my favourite colour combination is Blue and White so I rather like the Leafs jerseys, so I have a look around for them now and again. I like orange too so the Flyers jerseys are pretty cool.

Oh how I was that was true, I'd have a dozen closets full of jerseys. As far as white jerseys go, I'm with you. I'm not necessarily a fan of them, but two of the jerseys I bid on last week on eBay were relisted yesterday and they're both white, brand new. This time they were listed as buy it now with prices higher than what they're worth for replicas. I'm still (and probably always will be) looking for a replica white Rangers Liberty jersey.

There's some things I'd only buy in white though - Yankees jerseys have to be white, when the Giants won the Super Bowl, they were wearing white so my Super Bowl jersey is white. Same with the Saints, and I'll probably buy a white '94 Rangers jersey eventually.

do you just see something you like and buy it?

I'm more of a Wings fan than a general hockey/NHL fan, so my collection is exclusively Red Wings. I started collecting because I thought that the new Edge jerseys were horrid, and I wanted to pick up the older styles before they were too hard to get a hold of. As you can see from a lot of people on these boards, the casual jersey collecting turns addicting very quickly!

Well, first and foremost, she has to be cute. And she has to like hockey too. Hair color doesn't really matter but I do prefer brunettes. Age doesn't matter either but I WOULD like her to be older than 25.

Oh crap...you said jersey, didn't you??

LOL! Funniest thing I've heard so far today.....well, maybe except for the Yankees signing Bartolo Colon, but this is a hockey board

Well, first and foremost, she has to be cute. And she has to like hockey too. Hair color doesn't really matter but I do prefer brunettes. Age doesn't matter either but I WOULD like her to be older than 25.

I'm with WingedWheelers here, only interested in my team, well, what was my team, lol. And only customize with retired players, ok I know they're all retired now (except Foote, and Mr.Favre Forsberg, only 2 active Nords).... but that's my rule in any sport, same as my Raider jerseys, only collect retired players. Will never catch me wearing a current player jersey. I have nothing against it, just I like the old school veterans or hall of famers. And I also get players of who aren't the most popular, but those are my fav players, like my Tony Twist jersey, lol. "If" I were to collect other teams, would probably do the older teams like Whalers, Jets, Seals, Rockies, Barons.... ya I like classic old hockey!! I'm a Jays fan in MLB but not a big fan of baseball jerseys. Only other sport I will wear is Netherlands soccer jersey/shirt more like, lol.

But, that's just me, I still enjoy checking out all the threads, see what new jerseys people have purchased etc... some jerseys I like, some I don't... I really hate how teams change often, I like the original uniforms and teams that stick to it, nothing special about a Leafs jersey (my most hated team) or the Habs (my other most hated) but gotta love how they stick to the basic jersey, not much different than back in the original 6, same goes with the Bruins, Rangers, Hawks..... none of this fancy stuff, just basic legendary uniforms! Same with NFL... teams like the Raiders (of course :) and Steelers, Browns, Packers, Cowboys.... keep it original!!! Look at Oakland, just a simple black Jersey, no stripes or logos, and it just tells you it's a classic. Or the Cleveland Browns and no logo on their helmet, or Steelers with one side of their helmet only.... thats the kinda stuff I like!

I've essentially moved away from retail authentics and started focusing on collecting Rangers gameworn, other teams with connections to the Rangers gameworn, Finnish club team gameworns (I bought an HIFK game worn this past summer and am hooked), and lower level international game worns (thanks to mr. IIHFjerseycollector here).

No, you're right he said what you look for IN a jersey, What you describe would definately look good in a jersey. :thumbsup:

I have a few themes in my collection. Really ugly jerseys, Lemieux and Gretzky jerseys, but mostly I like jerseys that tell or have a story behind them. One main way a jersey can stand out in that way is to have a patch on it, which ties it to a particular event or season.

My criteria for a jersey is that just it has to be of a player the played for the Rangers organization at some point in their career.

For me having a theme has helped me from going crazy and buying everything I see, but it does limit me some on players I loved, but never played for the Rangers.

Aside from the Rangers connection, I have learned from those before me, if you can patch it. I will get a jersey of a less popular player if there's a patch I can put on it. I also think it's fun to get a popular player, but customize it with his rookie number etc.

You mean like your #46 Dan Girardi jersey? ;)....I kind of like buying things I never see, I do own a blue Gaborik jersey and a Callahan heritage, but my Liberty jersey is a Lindros and I'd consider getting a Boyle or an Anisimov. What I really want is a Zuccarello(SP?) jersey. I'd even have a blank turned into a Naslund one day, but I'd never buy things everyone and their mother has. For instance, I've been to two hockey games in my life, both this season, and all I've seen from the current team is Avery and Lundqvist jerseys. I wouldn't buy either of those unless it was something unique. For instance, if I found a blank RBK-made Liberty jersey, I'd turn it into a Lundqvist. Maybe even a Jagr.

My criteria for a jersey is that just it has to be of a player the played for the Rangers organization at some point in their career.

For me having a theme has helped me from going crazy and buying everything I see, but it does limit me some on players I loved, but never played for the Rangers.

Aside from the Rangers connection, I have learned from those before me, if you can patch it. I will get a jersey of a less popular player if there's a patch I can put on it. I also think it's fun to get a popular player, but customize it with his rookie number etc.

I am the same way. I do have a few non ranger jerseys but they have been players that were rangers (I.E. Penguins Jagr and Red Wings Shanahan for instance) and i generally keep it Ranger oriented. I did get a new addition recently that broke the mold of this theme but there's an exception for every rule. I do want to find another blank liberty jersey and do it with Callahan when he wore 43.

Edited by OR68

I just buy what is decently priced. I have few customized CCM 550s, but most of my jerseys are 550 blanks I found on eBay new with tags or from HockeyGiant. I recently just started to collect authentics (within the last two years) and I keep them blank. If I can spend $75 to get it customized, I'd rather buy another blank jersey. The only jerseys that I get customized are Isles.

Next year I am going to buy at least 6 customized Isles jerseys (40th anniversary patch on home and away jerseys, alternate jersey, ASG jersey, SCF home/away jerseys), so I really should start saving up lol. :thumbsup:

No lol. I was a huge hockey nut for most of my life up until the 04-05 lockout, and then I didn't bother watching until a couple seasons ago. I kept playing the video games but never watched an actual game until my friend got into hockey. It's funny, I kept telling him how he should at least watch a hockey game or buy the video game, and his answer was always "hockey's gay, hockey's not a sport". Long story short, this girl he used to be friends with was a Rangers season ticket holder and took him to a game when she had an extra ticket - That was 3 seasons ago and he's been hooked ever since. Now he's got an 11-pack and he had an extra ticket to the Philly game so I went. Before that he got a pair of tickets comp'd to him in section 66 for the Coyotes game, that was my first hockey game. Great seats and we won in a shootout!

Hockey tickets are entirely too expensive. For what I'd pay for 11 Rangers games, I could go to 30-40 Yankees games.

Did you just get in to hockey?

For NHL game worns it has to be a Russian player. I also have a bunch of Soviet/Russian team game used jerseys. For authentics I like to get thirds and older styles that most people think of as ugly. I love colourful jerseys. I think the NHL should ban all jerseys that use black as the primary colour and get some more colour back in the league. Let teams use colours other than white for their road jerseys, like the old yellow/gold Kings jerseys. As long as one team has a dark colour and the other a lighter one there shouldn't be a problem. When I get my authentics numbered I try to find a Russian player that played on the team when the jersey was worn. I also love jerseys that I can put an appropriate patch on.

Edited by Krendelev

I'm with WingedWheelers here, only interested in my team, well, what was my team, lol. And only customize with retired players, ok I know they're all retired now (except Foote, and Mr.Favre Forsberg, only 2 active Nords).... but that's my rule in any sport, same as my Raider jerseys, only collect retired players. Will never catch me wearing a current player jersey. I have nothing against it, just I like the old school veterans or hall of famers. And I also get players of who aren't the most popular, but those are my fav players, like my Tony Twist jersey, lol. "If" I were to collect other teams, would probably do the older teams like Whalers, Jets, Seals, Rockies, Barons.... ya I like classic old hockey!! I'm a Jays fan in MLB but not a big fan of baseball jerseys. Only other sport I will wear is Netherlands soccer jersey/shirt more like, lol.

But, that's just me, I still enjoy checking out all the threads, see what new jerseys people have purchased etc... some jerseys I like, some I don't... I really hate how teams change often, I like the original uniforms and teams that stick to it, nothing special about a Leafs jersey (my most hated team) or the Habs (my other most hated) but gotta love how they stick to the basic jersey, not much different than back in the original 6, same goes with the Bruins, Rangers, Hawks..... none of this fancy stuff, just basic legendary uniforms! Same with NFL... teams like the Raiders (of course :) and Steelers, Browns, Packers, Cowboys.... keep it original!!! Look at Oakland, just a simple black Jersey, no stripes or logos, and it just tells you it's a classic. Or the Cleveland Browns and no logo on their helmet, or Steelers with one side of their helmet only.... thats the kinda stuff I like!

I had been collecting only retired players, but broke that rule twice. I have a Datsyuk all star & Koho replica, and a Lidstrom Edge 2.0. The rest are the classics like Yzerman, Probert, Shanahan, etc.

I agree that teams change logos way too often. I also think that most teams put in, how do I say this, too much "thought" into their jersey logos. They try to come up with these fancy logos, when a simple easily recognized one would be far superior. This is what makes the Original 6 logos superior, in my opinion, to most other teams. Its simple, timeless, classic, and instantly recognizable.

my first thought to this post title was.... Ashley Judd. (for those who know the UK posters)

Second, I went to Yanks game last summer and we got upper deck behind homeplate for $25, way cheaper than I expected.

As for jerseys, my criteria is team first or a rare/unique jersey, then size: I like my jerseys big so 54 and above are great

for me plus goalie cuts so I can get as authentic as possible when customizing goalies. Correct customization: brand, player, years should

all match up - I'm in the purist camp and would never put a player on style or brand they didn't wear.

I loves me some Ultrafil, any chance to get a good deal on one I'll take.