CCM 550

carsoni4

I've recently been getting back into jersey collecting after a prolonged absence. Since my comeback, I have only been purchasing Edge authentic jerseys, as those ###### screen-printed shoulder patches on the Premiers are the work of the devil. However, collecting these authentic jerseys is a rich-man's game, and I need to watch what I spend. I still crave more jerseys however, and as a result, I'm thinking of picking up some CCM 550 replicas to whet my insatiable jersey appetite.

Am I setting myself up for crushing disappointment? Will these 550s look pathetic next to my Edge authentics? I've heard good things about the 550s, but wanted to throw it out to hear the opinions of fellow collectors. Should I just suck it up and not buy jerseys for a while, until I can afford my next authentic? Or is a 550 a solid addition to my jersey collection?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

550 is a very nice jersey. In my opinion, it is the highest quality jersey. You may want to look into going for the authentic 6100s as well. You can find good deals on eBay.

I think the 550's are nice to have in your collection. Just keep in mind that you can usually get the authentic 6100 style for $50 to $75. I have seen them go for $25 in some instances. With the 6100's you are getting a superior product when compared to the 550's. In my opinion the 6100's are even superior in quality to Edge 1.0's and 2.0's.

The only problem is Blackhawks 6100 jerseys (the ones I'm looking for) are proving ###### near impossible to find. 550s on the other hand, I could purchase by the boat-full. I know I can't expect beautiful chain-stitched crests on the 550s, but how does the jersey material itself feel? Cheap and paper-thin like the premiers?

No, they are not made from the same material. The RBK's are made of a softer 175g/m2 polyester pique. Which is what makes it feel thin and kind of like a stretchy polo shirt IMO. The CCMs are made from the 550 Airknit, have a stiffer feel, and have double shoulders. The 550's are good quality, but are cut like a playable sweater as opposed to the prems that have a slightly more tapered look. I would say grab one off ebay and have a look for yourself. If you don't like it just relist or craigs list it. If you find your standards are higher than the 550 you are back to were you started.

I can send you some close up shots of my 550's if you'd like.

Good Luck

The only problem is Blackhawks 6100 jerseys (the ones I'm looking for) are proving ###### near impossible to find. 550s on the other hand, I could purchase by the boat-full. I know I can't expect beautiful chain-stitched crests on the 550s, but how does the jersey material itself feel? Cheap and paper-thin like the premiers?

This is a picture of my 550 replica:

408.jpg

Sweet, thanks for the pic man! Do you have any other shots of the sweater -- like of the shoulder patches or the collar? No worries either way -- thanks for your help!

No problem! If you want better pictures let me know. It isn't chain stitching but it is still very nice. :thumbsup:

409.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

I don't own any 550 replica jerseys, but from what I understand they are the HIGHEST quality replica of any of the 4 major professional sports jerseys - NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL. So that right there says something, even if it's just a replica. Alot of what the other guys above have said is true, you can find 550s on ebay dirt cheap, around $20-$30. But you can also find decent deals on 6100s.

For the price, someday I look to add some 550s to my collection. If I can get them at $20 each, and say I want 3, that's $60 for the jerseys and add about another $60 each for customization and you're looking at around the retail price of an EDGE authentic - $240 - without customization. Throw some patches on the replicas and that might bring them up to closer to $270 or so. So IMO I'd rather take 3 customized 550s with patches than a blank EDGE at retail price. Hope this helps those out that feel a little hesitant about replicas, but this is just my two cents on the topic. B)

However, the EDGE premier replicas are junk IMO and I would NEVER go close to one. The shoulder patches are screen printed and I think the size tag in the lower right corner is UGLY! One could reasonably take it off, but it might require some fine detailed work. Plus, to the best of my knowledge it's not as easy to find good deals on EDGE premiers on ebay. This might have to do with all the fake EDGEs on there. Someone please correct me if it is possible to find decently priced premiers on the bay because I just can't seem to.

I own (4) 550 jerseys, yes all Nords... love them.

If I had to say anything negative would be that the crest is glued/pressed on.

But not that big a deal, it won't wear off or anything....

Alot better than the CCM ones I had back in the 80's with the screened printed

logos that easily wore off....

If you want, you can sew over the crest so that it is glued and sewn!

That's what I had done with my Red Wings winter classic jersey. I wanted to get the replica over the authentic because it was cheaper, and made of air-knit as opposed to the Edge material which snags way too easily. Even in the store, when I look at the Edge jerseys on the rack, a lot of them already have snags just from having people try them on. Anyway, the "D" logo is just glued on twill, so I had the shop sew it down when I had it customized. Looks great, and the logo looks just like what's on the authentic.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently been getting back into jersey collecting after a prolonged absence. Since my comeback, I have only been purchasing Edge authentic jerseys, as those ###### screen-printed shoulder patches on the Premiers are the work of the devil. However, collecting these authentic jerseys is a rich-man's game, and I need to watch what I spend. I still crave more jerseys however, and as a result, I'm thinking of picking up some CCM 550 replicas to whet my insatiable jersey appetite.

Am I setting myself up for crushing disappointment? Will these 550s look pathetic next to my Edge authentics? I've heard good things about the 550s, but wanted to throw it out to hear the opinions of fellow collectors. Should I just suck it up and not buy jerseys for a while, until I can afford my next authentic? Or is a 550 a solid addition to my jersey collection?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think my question applies to the OP.

By the way first post, purchased an all star jersey here and thought I would join up and say hello.

I have also gotten back into jersey collecting. I picked up a couple 550's on ebay for cheap and am having them customized, stitched of course.

I also have a couple of RBK premiers and to throw my two cents in I like the CCM jerseys much better. Both in fit and feel.

Those lame shoulder patches really kill it for me on the premier. Thankfully my Kings 3rd jersey doesn't have shoulder patches.

Now my question is I have seen CCM 550's made in Canada and also made in Indonesia.

Does anybody know if there is a difference in these jerseys other than where they are made?

Materials? Quality? Did they move the replicas overseas when Reebok took over?

The couple of 550's I purchased are made in Indonesia and I am wondering if the Canadian made are better.

Any info would be much appreciated.