question on shipping jerseys from US to Canada

WingedWheelers

I sold a jersey via ebay on 12/16, and shipped it same day. I sent it via USPS, and they don't offer tracking for international shipments. I just received an e-mail from the buyer saying that he hasn't received the jersey yet. All I have right now as proof is the customs slip. When I punch the customs number into USPS.com's tracking page, it tracks the package right up to where it leaves the US. After this I got nothin'

Now, for all you expert international shippers:

a ) How long could a shipment to Canada (going to Vancouver to be specific) from the US (Detroit) take? I'm thinking the package might have been held up in customs for some reason?

b ) Is there any way to further track the package on the Canadian side (Canada Post, etc), using just the custom's form number?

Thanks in advance!!!

Go to www.canadapost.ca and enter the tracking number you will be able to track it from there once it has crossed the border...If you dont have a tracking number you are out of luck

I sold a jersey via ebay on 12/16, and shipped it same day. I sent it via USPS, and they don't offer tracking for international shipments. I just received an e-mail from the buyer saying that he hasn't received the jersey yet. All I have right now as proof is the customs slip. When I punch the customs number into USPS.com's tracking page, it tracks the package right up to where it leaves the US. After this I got nothin'

a ) How long could a shipment to Canada (going to Vancouver to be specific) from the US (Detroit) take? I'm thinking the package might have been held up in customs for some reason?

b ) Is there any way to further track the package on the Canadian side (Canada Post, etc), using just the custom's form number?

Thanks in advance!!!

The timing is about right - usually 2-3 weeks to get to Canada if just standard shipping. I think with the time of year you could add a bit more time. As for your comment about no tracking to Canada - of course they do, just costs more $$$.

The timing is about right - usually 2-3 weeks to get to Canada if just standard shipping. I think with the time of year you could add a bit more time. As for your comment about no tracking to Canada - of course they do, just costs more $$$.

Yeah, it costs almost twice as much, most people don't want to pay it. I guess I'll live and learn if it got lost somehow. I'm thinking its just taking its sweet time and will hopefully arrive this week.

At least I do have proof that it was shipped due to the customs tag.

If you want a tracking number to cross the border, you'll have to go Priority Int'l, which runs about $20-29 per package. It's expensive but can be worth it when you have weiners complaining about where their stuff is. That's why when I sell to Canada via eBay, it's $25 for shipping regardless. I don't care what they say; it's shipping priority. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Don't worry about it brother. I bet its still in the mail or he's a liar.

Being on the receiving end of this situation before, The fact the buyer did not pay for tracked shipping to Canada and you can prove you shipped it, he will has no recourse at all. The balls is now in his court.

If he files a complaint on E-bay, you can prove you shipped it and it left the USA into Canadians hands and out of yours!

Trust me man, You name it. Its happened to me on E-Bay. Sellers not shipping. Sellers shipping to the wrong addresses. Sellers forcing me to Bid threw proxy :).

If you want a tracking number to cross the border, you'll have to go Priority Int'l, which runs about $20-29 per package. It's expensive but can be worth it when you have weiners complaining about where their stuff is. That's why when I sell to Canada via eBay, it's $25 for shipping regardless. I don't care what they say; it's shipping priority. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

A Wise decision.

I've never had Canada post lose anything EVER! I mean that. EVER! but if it did ever happen and I didn't pay for tracking, well then I can only blame myself, and the leafs!

The guy is being nice about it at least. To tell you truth, if I were in his shoes I probably would have sent the same email if I hadn't received anything in 3 weeks. I sent him the customs form number that shows that it was shipped, and we're going to wait it out a bit more to see if it arrives. I'm guessing there was probably a delay due to Christmas.

That's good advice on the $25 for shipping to Canada. In my auctions, I offered first class and priority int'l, but so far all my Canadian buyers have opted for the cheaper shipping option. First time one has taken this long to get to the destination.

Don't worry about it brother. I bet its still in the mail or he's a liar.

Being on the receiving end of this situation before, The fact the buyer did not pay for tracked shipping to Canada and you can prove you shipped it, he will has no recourse at all. The balls is now in his court.

If he files a complaint on E-bay, you can prove you shipped it and it left the USA into Canadians hands and out of yours!

Trust me man, You name it. Its happened to me on E-Bay. Sellers not shipping. Sellers shipping to the wrong addresses. Sellers forcing me to Bid threw proxy :).

You are incorrect my friend...if he files with Paypal and you don't have tracking you lose. Hopefully it's just taking longer because of the time of year.

This is 100% spot-on. I won't ship to Canada any other way.

You are incorrect my friend...if he files with Paypal and you don't have tracking you lose. Hopefully it's just taking longer because of the time of year.

he has tracking to the boarder I thought.

I don't see how it couldn't make it if they know it hit the boarder.

WingedWheelers I think you should be alright here, I don't think the buyer will try to hose you by claiming he "didn't receive it" when he really did. If in fact he does that, you could threaten him with trying to commit mail fraud, which is a pretty serious crime. You have the customs slip and like the other guys said, the US tracking number works with the Canada Post website, so you should be alright. I have only shipped to Canada once, and the package got there in a reasonable amount of time. Not quick like USPS does, but it still got there. From what I understand Canada Post is a little slower than USPS. But I wouldn't be concerned if I was you. :) Let us know when he receives it. :thumbsup:

Brilliant! makes a good point about shipping from USA to Canada. You might as well charge winning bidders from there $25 since that is the fastest method with a tracking number. Even though it's expensive it is well worth the satisfaction knowing the item got there, than being cheap and risking a lie from the buyer.

I would think it would arrive this week.

You shipped it on the 16th (Friday) so most likely didn't even go out til Monday the 19th... and looking at the calendar days is has only been 15 business days.

From Michigan to Vancouver BC that would seem right.

I just had an item shipped to me from Detroit Michigan to Ontario Canada (I live only a 2 hr drive from Detroit) and that item took at least 2+ weeks!!! USPS then arrived Canada Post. Was also off ebay, and as a matter of fact I had bought stuff from California and Colorado a few days AFTER the item from michigan was shipped, and got those a week before!

hang tight, I would wait til the end of this week at least.

Yeah, like I said the guy is being nice, just wondering where his stuff is. We agreed to wait it out a bit to see if it arrives. I'm confident it will, I've never had anything totally lost in the mail.

Buyer received the jersey yesterday, and promptly left me positive feedback too. Glad everything worked out, like I said, never had anything get totally lost in the mail. They must have just been slow due to the holidays.

Thanks for the above advice, I'm definitely going with the more expensive shipping with tracking next time I do international.

• 1 month later...

Jeez, it took a month to get there? I sent my jersey to Don at MLL last Friday. I hope it doesn't take that long to get from St. Paul, MN to Don's.

My jersey got held up at customs for whatever reason, that's why it took longer. So that, combined with holiday craziness, caused the delay. I think my case was the exception and not the norm.