Who chooses Winter classic teams?

St. Patrick

I would imagine it is the NHL since the WC is a league event. You have to take into consideration the game is all about money - how the league can profit the most from the 2 teams that play. This year it was pretty obvious that an Ovechkin vs. Crosby Winter Classic would draw a lot of viewers on television and bring in the most revenue to the NHL. In 2009 it was Chicago and Detroit, two original six teams, where the NHL used the "vintage" idea by choosing 2 original six teams and playing the game in a historical venue, Wrigley Field. The fact Detroit and Chicago are bitter rivals increased the hype. I would imagine for future WCs that the NHL would choose teams where it will be cold around New Years such as cities in the north and midwest. And like I said above, they will try and select a match up that will bring in $. I would have to imagine New York would probably host one in the next two years, but this is just my opinion.

Agreed, it's all about $ and marketing the NHL brand. What match up, players and special interest stories are going to

sell the most merchandise and give you the ratings needed for NBC to extend the contract. I think a lot of people, including myself balked

at the Pens being in the game again this year. But when you look at it solely from a business decision, it was the obvious choice.

I would think a game next year either at Yankee Stadium or the New Meadowlands are at the top of the list. I would also throw

in Ford Field in Detroit, where they can control the weather conditions. In any of these scenarios I believe you need to

include a Canadian team finally and have an Original Six match up. Ranger-Leafs or Habs, Red Wings-Leafs or Habs.

The Heritage Classic is a nice addition, but really it's just throwing the Canadian fan a bone.

The man at the NHL who really makes this all happen is a guy named Brian Jennings, Executive VP of Marketing.

I would love for the Leafs to be in one of these so they can come up with a special retro jersey for the game.

It's NBC. NHL wanted Washington vs Boston last year and at the last minute NBC forced them to take Philly instead. Because when it comes to knowing what people want to see on TV, no one is a bigger expert than NBC right now. :noway:

It's also why there will be never be a Canadian team in the Winter Classic.

Being an Isles fan, I would love to see it in NY. It can't be in Yankee Stadium for the next five years, due to the Pinstripe Bowl (NCAA). This leaves Citi Field (possible) and the New Meadowlands (which IMO would be the best venue due to the fact you can sell more tickets).

If it were to take place in the Tri-State area, the teams involved would likely be:

-Rangers

-Isles

-Devils

I personally feel the Isles deserve a WC since it was Wang's idea to have a WC annually (he suggested the idea to the NHL and they chose Sabres/Pens). However, they will likely not be put into a WC until Tavares blossoms and the Isles improve their record.

As much as it pains me to say, the Rangers make the most sense for a WC, even though their only "marketable" players are Lundqvist and to a lesser extent Gaborik. I think Rangers-Leafs will probably be the game (if it were to take place in NY). The only problem is the Leafs are in the same boat as the Isles..no marketable players/sloppy play.

My idea, will be to have a "double-header" in Citi Field or New Meadowlands. Maybe New Year's eve have the Isles play against the Devils in a local matchup (seriously, how can you have a game in NY/LI and not have both teams' fans experience it :fight: ) and then do the main-event on New Year's Day, which would be NYR-Tor (classic original six matchup). I like Citi Field more because the Mets will not be using the stadium in December, which will allow the fans to skate on the rink, similar to what happened in Boston.

Another potential sight would be Target Field-Minnesota (temperature-wise/hockey history).

It is only a matter of time before the Bolts play the Kings in an outdoor-roller hockey game.

The reason I ask the question is because there are so many teams out there that would be entertaining to watch. Especially a Canadians/Leafs, or a Islanders/Rangers and say a Coyotes/Avalanche. I mention that because I think it would be cool as hell to have both teams revert back to the Nordiques-Jets uniforms. But yes, they would have to be a northern or north-eastern location. NYIJM29 brought up an awesome idea of a double header.

isn't Colorado pretty cold? I think they could host it don't you?

Yes there is talk the Avs could possibly host next year's WC. I love the idea of the Coyotes/Avs game with retro Nords/Jets jerseys......definitely awesome

However there is only one thing better.........having the NOrds and Jets back in the NHL playing in a Heritage Classic......

Denver itself is a pretty mild climate. I remember washing my car in 72 degree weather on Christmas day when I lived there. I could see them hosting it in the mountains where the temp is a little more consistent, but downtown I think would be out of the question.

The rumors are that next year's game is going to be Rangers-Flyers down at the new Vet. Pretty soon, it's just gonna be the same two or three teams hosting these things.

The reason I ask the question is because there are so many teams out there that would be entertaining to watch. Especially a Canadians/Leafs

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see a Canadian team play in the Winter Classic. I've heard rumors that Bettman refuses to allow Canadian teams to participate due to the Heritage Classic.

The rumors are that next year's game is going to be Rangers-Flyers down at the new Vet. Pretty soon, it's just gonna be the same two or three teams hosting these things.

new vet?

wheres that at?

Thats lame. Wow how exciting..... Whats up with only having eastern league teams?

cause its cold in the east during NYD

edit:

for all my philly natives... can you imagine Broad Street on NYD with The Mummers Parade & Winter Classic...

Lol really?!?! That's why the NHL had to push the game back to 8 est due to the 40 degree rain? C'mon. I look outside my window right now in MN and its 12 degrees. Bring it here next year.

Being an Isles fan, I would love to see it in NY. It can't be in Yankee Stadium for the next five years, due to the Pinstripe Bowl (NCAA). This leaves Citi Field (possible) and the New Meadowlands (which IMO would be the best venue due to the fact you can sell more tickets).

If it were to take place in the Tri-State area, the teams involved would likely be:

-Rangers

-Isles

-Devils

I personally feel the Isles deserve a WC since it was Wang's idea to have a WC annually (he suggested the idea to the NHL and they chose Sabres/Pens). However, they will likely not be put into a WC until Tavares blossoms and the Isles improve their record.

As much as it pains me to say, the Rangers make the most sense for a WC, even though their only "marketable" players are Lundqvist and to a lesser extent Gaborik. I think Rangers-Leafs will probably be the game (if it were to take place in NY). The only problem is the Leafs are in the same boat as the Isles..no marketable players/sloppy play.

No offense, but I doubt the NHL wants to showcase the train wreck that is the NYI organization right now. Same for the Devils. The Rangers make sense because they have the largest TV audience I believe, with Philadelphia being second. I am sick and tired of others commenting that it's not fair or whatever that certain teams will get chosen more often, but frankly, it's about money and certain teams will not bring in the money, hence they will not be chosen.

Also, I assume he is referring to Lincoln Financial Field when he said the new Vet.

Hosting the event in baseball stadiums is dumb. Hockey, like football, is a rectangular type surface with lateral play and the seating in football stadiums works better IMO. I went to the one in Boston and thought the viewing angles were poor. It also gives you most cases double the amount of sell-able tickets.

No offense, but I doubt the NHL wants to showcase the train wreck that is the NYI organization right now. Same for the Devils. The Rangers make sense because they have the largest TV audience I believe, with Philadelphia being second. I am sick and tired of others commenting that it's not fair or whatever that certain teams will get chosen more often, but frankly, it's about money and certain teams will not bring in the money, hence they will not be chosen.

Sad but true. Too bad the big wigs are all about the green backs, compared to the fans watching their favorite teams. I think it would be interesting if the fans could pick who they would want to see, and go to north or north east locations and play outside.

As a Penguins fan I was COMPLETELY against my team playing in the WC this year. Since we had already played in the inaugural one, I feel like it is time to give other cities/teams a chance to play. But the stupid NHL and NBC had to get Ovechkin vs. Crosby and THANK GOD it's over - by the way, neither did jack $hit during the game. :lol:

I could not imagine another city hosting the next WC other than NY, but from what you guys say, I would think Minnesota would make sense too. I would assume the Rangers would be the host team and whoever they play would be up to the NHL.

The number of hosts wouldn't get too repetitive IMO: Pitt, Buffalo, NY, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, Colorado (possibly), Washington, and I could even understand Carolina since it does get chilly down there in the winter time, but that might be a stretch. For Detroit, if they hosted, the game could be played at Comerica Park, but Ford Field is a nice suggestion.

I don't believe a Canadian team will ever play in a WC. I think Gary Bettman is making it a US only event. This makes sense because he added the Heritage Classic this season for two Canadian teams. Kind of sad there are two separate events and it would be much more interesting if both countries would be able to participate in the WC - more match up possibilities, better tv ratings, definitely more merchandise sales, etc. The NHL is kind of ruining the potential of this idea with two separate events.... but that figures, right? I mean they have already done this with the uniforms. :lol:

Another thing about this year's WC. People complained about the weather being mild in Pittsburgh. Well I am a native and it's usually pretty warm around New Year's, so that was sort of expected. Also, if you looked at the weather in ANY city in the northeastern US, you would also find mild weather. So it's not like there was any city that could have hosted this game in the northeast that has an NHL club where the weather was going to be 20s and snow. Nuh uh.