Customization Materials

AngeloS76

I think...THINK kiss-cut. I know that the Habs used kiss-cut kits on their Starter jerseys as early as 1997-98 so I would assume that they weren't the only team. I've also seen pictures of the B's jerseys from that time and it looks like...LOOKS LIKE they're kiss-cut. I've never held a gamer though so I don't know for sure. If nothing else though, it's pretty cool to have on your jersey. I'd get it anyway.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I can help. traditionally, you cut the material (twill) individually by color and heat them together. Some people do not like the extra work this creates, so they kiss-cut. kiss-cutting is done by heating the twill layers together first, then cutting them out (with a cad-cut machine). this makes the number (letters) perfectly put together (as good as the computer program was designed). example:chicago numbers on red shirt - (traditional)cut the white layer, then the black layer and then line them up by eye and heat them together. (kiss-cut) heat the white twill on the black, then cut out the number (perfect but slow).

reverse kiss-cut is usually done with a laser cutter. it "steps" up and out from the center. example:chicago numbers on red shirt - white number on bottom with a thin black border ON TOP of the white. simulating the traditional pyramid (white on top of black).

most jerseys use Poly Twill (again, chicago boston detroit rangers etc.). Some use Glitter Twill (TML Toronto, Bottom of Avs home away, bottom of Lightning home away). this is just a "metallic" twill. last is Glacier twill (wave era NYI, top of colorado home away, top of pittsburgh home away). this material is patterned. it has an interlocked design looking like - ^^^^^^^^^ "v" patern in the material.

i hope this wasnt too long or confusing. if you have any questions about patterns or materials email me at don@majorleaguelettering.com and i would be happy to help you.

PS the Avs alternate does NOT have glacier twill.

Don

This helps me understand a little bit better. Thanks Don.

Do the Senators use twill for their nameplates? I've seen some pictures of game-worn jerseys and it looks like it's twill.

Nope, they've never used twill.

^ Then I'm not sure what to call this. Is it Edge material?

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2381/folder12257/img9314754.jpg

yes, it's the same material that the back of the jersey is made of.

Bruins "Pooh Bear" 1998-99 Starter....kiss cut or stacked? Thanks guys.

none of them, they were single layered with a screened white border with white stitching over it. Same with the white jerseys from that era, they had single layered back #'s and letters and 2 layered sleeve numbers with a screened black border. The black jersey had 2 layered back #'s with a screened black border and the letters had a stitched black border. They changed that to screened border too when the went with the Reebok 6100 jerseys.

Well I already have a few of these authentic blank whites. There doesn't seem to be a good market for people looking to trade, and I don't really fell like selling as I don't think they are worth that much. So I thought if I could make a "New York" out of an on-ice it would make it more worthwhile to be in my collection than just another blank goathead.

Well I already have a few of these authentic blank whites. There doesn't seem to be a good market for people looking to trade, and I don't really fell like selling as I don't think they are worth that much. So I thought if I could make a "New York" out of an on-ice it would make it more worthwhile to be in my collection than just another blank goathead.

Fair enough.

Well, here's a fine addition to the customization discussion. As nogoal pointed out in the Arrived Today Thread, Custom Crafted mistakenly used the most recent font with the serifs on the 7s. So after some staring, pondering, and a phone call, I've decided to send the jersey back to get it re-done with the proper font (as well as to put on the 75th patch on there, which nogoal also encouraged). I'll be sure to post a status update and some pictures of the revisions. Nogoal, you've turned me into a jersey perfectionist. The obsession is growing... :ninja:

http://www.customthrowbackjerseys.com/search.php?search_query=ROBITAILLE&gclid=CPr44ubh_aYCFcfe4Aodnh0jbw

This place has the right numbering but I feel like lettering and font look a bit small.

With the B's sweater you'll be happy you have it right on, I didn't mean to crap on your excitement though. Good luck buddy

• 4 months later...

Did the Kings use nameplates for their Silver and Black jerseys during the 90's? Because from what photos I've looked at, there don't seem to be any nameplates.

For 1990-1991, yes, the Kings jerseys DID have nameplates. But from 1991-1998, their silver and black jerseys did NOT have nameplates.

An oldie but goodie. I forgot I even asked that question. The fun part about that is that I got both of my Kings jerseys customized in the proper manner. It's nice to look back and see what I've learned in the time I've spent on this forum.

And since this topic is back up on top, I've learned recently that the Bruins edge jerseys use regular CCM air-knit for their nameplates instead of edge material. Sticklers take note!

• 2 weeks later...

Does someone know if the numbers on recent All-Star jerseys (I'm specifically interested in 2008 & 2011, but info on any recent year might be useful) were kiss-cut or layered? Thanks for any help.

Does someone know if the numbers on recent All-Star jerseys (I'm specifically interested in 2008 & 2011, but info on any recent year might be useful) were kiss-cut or layered? Thanks for any help.

I think for 2011 it was Reebok's smoothfit numbers which were 1 layer sublimated numbers.

I think for 2011 it was Reebok's smoothfit numbers which were 1 layer sublimated numbers.

That makes sense, as the 2011 numbers had all those lines running through them. I'd still like to know about the 2008 though- those just had 2 uniform colors. Thanks for responding!