Customization Materials

AngeloS76

(Mods: if there is another thread on this that I haven't found, then feel free to merge/delete this.)

Since customization is a major part of owning jerseys and getting the right customization done is of great importance, I wanted to start this thread to learn more about customizing jerseys. I know that over time, jersey brands and materials change (that's a given), but I see terms like 'glacier twill' being thrown around in topics and I realize that I have no clue what materials belong on the back of teams' jerseys and how often these materials change over time.

So this is where the thread comes in, maybe we can get a list going: what materials go onto a particular jersey? (Name bar, numbers, lettering, etc)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like a great place to throw out a question I've had for a while now also. I know it's been asked here before, but the one answer I was able to find was missing the pictures used as the answer. So...

What is the difference between Kiss-cut and Reverse Kiss-cut numbers? And does two- versus three-layer numbers make a difference as to which is used?

I like using my Isles wave era jersey as an example!

I think this is reverse-kiss cut AND glacier twill! I think the reverse kiss-cut means that the top layer is sewn on above the color that appears to be the top color. It appears the blue is the top layer, but if you look closely, you see the orange is sewn on top of the blue.

IMG_3992.jpg

I like using my Isles wave era jersey as an example!

I think this is reverse-kiss cut AND glacier twill! I think the reverse kiss-cut means that the top layer is sewn on above the color that appears to be the top color. It appears the blue is the top layer, but if you look closely, you see the orange is sewn on top of the blue.

IMG_3992.jpg

Yeah that is definently reverse-kiss cut. Instead of there being the blue layer on the bottom, then the orange layer second, and then black layer on top they put the black layer on the bottom and then put a thin blue outline on top of that and then a thin organe outline on top of that.

From what I've heard from EPS, that method is actually called 'semi kiss-cut'. Reverse kiss-cut is when the layers look like steps going up from the base. So, for that Isles one, the blue layer would be on top of the orange which would all be on the glacier twill.

WAIT!

not all avs jerseys have glacier twill!!!?!?!

Jay (burnabyjoesakic) will know the answer to that one. I could take a guess but no reason to when we have a resident expert.

On the nomenclature issue, my understanding is that "kiss-cut" was sometimes referred to as "reverse-cut" leading to people sometimes incorrectly call it "reverse-kiss-cut". The others above said, "semi-kiss-cut" (or possible "semi-reverse-cut") is where two of the three layers are not in the full "reverse/kiss cut" order.

The Avs third jerseys, burgundy and blue, don't use glacier twill.

is that what the pic you posed is of?

it almost looks like leather

do the current road home & alt jerseys use glacier twill? or the same r&h glacier twill alt-standard

Jay (burnabyjoesakic) will know the answer to that one. I could take a guess but no reason to when we have a resident expert.

On the nomenclature issue, my understanding is that "kiss-cut" was sometimes referred to as "reverse-cut" leading to people sometimes incorrectly call it "reverse-kiss-cut". The others above said, "semi-kiss-cut" (or possible "semi-reverse-cut") is where two of the three layers are not in the full "reverse/kiss cut" order.

that guy has an AMAZING collection

i soon will have an av's collection like that (minus the game-used& his being authentic's )

That picture I showed is of a loose Lightning reverse kiss-cut kit that shows the downward staircase design that I was talking about earlier. The leather is the couch I took the picture on.

That picture I showed is of a loose Lightning reverse kiss-cut kit that shows the downward staircase design that I was talking about earlier. The leather is the couch I took the picture on.

AAHHA

don't do that to me man! lol

i was like wtf mate?

AAHHA

don't do that to me man! lol

i was like wtf mate?

Me too. I didn't recognize it lol. I knew it was not an Avs alternate jersey and with the color of the couch, I thought it was an Avs home jersey.

Me too. I didn't recognize it lol. I knew it was not an Avs alternate jersey and with the color of the couch, I thought it was an Avs home jersey.

see brilliant be more careful when taking helpful pics of your customization skills on your avalanche color'd couch!

and for the wtf mate part

for those who have never seen

I came across a good site showing you what 'glacier twill' looks like. Basically, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, most teams use some form of twill for their numbers. Glacier twill is twill that has a texture to it, as you can see in the link below. The white and black are hard to see, but the other colors show it well, as does the black layer on NYIJM29's Islander's jersey. Notice the large zig-zag texture of the black compared to the tiny diamond like texture of the orange and teal.

http://www.dalcoathletic.com/catalog/letcat_material_color_charts_glaciertwill.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this one will go out to the Avs fans and/or those omniscient members of the board. I did some image-searching and found that Sakic wore the Reebok third style that I bought, so I'd like to get it customized accordingly when I muster up the courage to send it out/pay for the customization. My question is, what materials go into it, and what style of cut are the letters and numbers?

72873204.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD12EB52FC07513A6016F91FC16057223C13761D817ADFED1D

That 3rd jersey will have two-layer kiss-cut numbers and an air-knit nameplate but will NOT have glacier twill. They go back to regular white twill on their 3rds for some reason.

Did the Kings use nameplates for their Silver and Black jerseys during the 90's? Because from what photos I've looked at, there don't seem to be any nameplates.

from 88-89 to 90-91 they did use nameplates and starting with the 91-92 season they did not use them.

As far as I know, kiss-cut numbers only came into existence in the late 90's. Even now, not ALL teams use the style. Some still go with the stacked twill.