Where to start...

AngeloS76

I've been doing a bit of digging through the archives on the forum since I've joined and I'm surprised at how much I've been learning and how I've developed a new paranoia about hockey jerseys (I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, we'll see :P), so I'd like to thank the veteran posters for helping out with what questions I've had thus far. But what I'd like to get some feedback on is about how to start a solid collection of jerseys. I've got four replica Bruins jerseys (one 550, two Reebok premiers, and the air-knit/Reebok b@stard child that is my Winter Classic jersey) which are all nice in their own respect, but I feel like I'm getting closer to the next level, buying an authentic and/or getting sewn-on customization.

So what would be the step-up from here? At the moment, I'm getting close to sending out one of my premiers for customization. Any tips for the noob collector? Any and all feedback is welcome.

And on an aside to anyone that's curious, I'm planning on sending my premier to Don at major league lettering since I've read good things on this forum about his work.

Ebay, kijiji, sometimes craigslist, trades/sales on here too. Will be good starting points. Early on you are going to want to post what you find in the "Is it good" thread and there is usually always someone knowledgeable that's kind enough to help you. Do some research on the forum as well, there is a good thread on how to spot fakes.

When it comes to getting things customized it always helps to try to be as specific as you can be, try to send pictures of what you want done especially with older style sweaters.

There are tons of sweaters out there waiting to go up on ebay too so don't try to rush to get everything right away. Pick a few things you really have to hunt for, it makes it much more worthwhile when finally get your mitts on it.

I agree with nogoal99. I have purchased from Icejerseys, EPS, craigslist, and of course ebay. Don't hesitate on asking questions. The main thing is, it's your collection, you buy what you want/like.

to each his own of course, but I would say go for the authentics. when I first found this board I had nothing but replicas, and after getting more into it for awhile I ended up selling them all one by one and now have 99% authentics in my collection. they're a bit pricier sometimes, but its very worth it.

also like its been said already, ask questions! there's alot of awesome people on this board who know more about jerseys than you could imagine, and everyone would rather see you pick up a good deal than a fake :stickhndl:

Now what's the etiquette on getting sewn-on customization on a replica jersey? I want to get my premier 3rd jersey customized and put it up for sale on ebay. Is it worth the while/the money to get this type of customization?

Firstly, welcome to IJ! As a collector IMO you can pretty much rule your collection as you see fit. If you want to have a mix of replicas and authentics then so be it, do as you please. That's the nice thing - it's your own personal collection so you can have whatever type of jerseys you want. :thumbsup:

About your replica, I am not sure it would be a great investment to get it customized then try to sell it. Depending where you get it customized, it may cost you around $50, and considering replicas don't go for a ton on ebay, I don't think you would land a great deal if you customize the jersey and try to sell it. In my opinion, if you're going to get it customized you might as well keep it for your collection. But you can do what you want. :D

Well, my rationalization for it is that virtually no replica jerseys on ebay (at least not the ones I've seen) actually have the multi-layer stitched customization that you would find on an authentic, so it would stand out from the rest of the pack. And as for the investment issue, I know I'll be losing money in the end since the retail + customization will cost more than what I'll get in a sale, but I think I'll be able to get more money for the jersey with a name on the back. So I guess I answered my own question.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend trying to get a jersey from every era the team wore. I am an Isles fan, so that is relatively easy (I just need 2 more jerseys-I decided to buy the patches and not sew them on to the jerseys...yet). If you are a Bruins fan, start out with a jersey from every era that you were a fan.

If you have any questions or want to discuss jerseys, feel free to PM! I will be glad to help!

If you are just starting out, I would recommend trying to get a jersey from every era the team wore. I am an Isles fan, so that is relatively easy (I just need 2 more jerseys-I decided to buy the patches and not sew them on to the jerseys...yet). If you are a Bruins fan, start out with a jersey from every era that you were a fan.

If you have any questions or want to discuss jerseys, feel free to PM! I will be glad to help!

I'm not even sure that's a possibility. But on the same token of collecting jerseys from different eras, the most recently discontinued style of Bruins jersey is hitting the market in big numbers, so it looks like a good place to start with 'retro' styles.

I think it all depends on what you want out of your 'collection'. When I was in high school I literally had 30 jerseys of random teams that I just liked the way they looked. Then I had a few that I cherished because they were customized with players I loved. As I grew up I sold all but a handful of jerseys and kept the ones I cared about.

My collection now is really just jerseys from my two favorite players growing up; Chris Chelios and Scott Stevens. I have all the variations of jerseys they wore on the Blackhawks and Devils. I hardly consider myself a collector since I don't lock mine away in storage or put them in cases, I actually wear them.

As far as replicas vs authentics, I never mess with replicas. I know they're cheaper, but I prefer wearing the same thing as what's worn on the ice. Not to mention Blackhawk replicas are absolutely terrible when compared to authentics as they don't have cross stitching. Don't think any other teams have to worry about that.

You'll learn a lot from people on these boards (as have I) along with another way to spend your hard earned money ;-) Good luck!

I'm not even sure that's a possibility. But on the same token of collecting jerseys from different eras, the most recently discontinued style of Bruins jersey is hitting the market in big numbers, so it looks like a good place to start with 'retro' styles.

Definitely do that first. You can always get the home/away/alt. Do the styles that are harder to come by first. I would also recommend getting the WC jersey the Bruins wore. For some reason, they are a lot on eBay at a very lucrative price. I would buy one, but I want to finish my Isles collection ASAP.

Another collection is to get one of every team. I have at least one jersey from every team, but most are replica. Now, I am starting to get authentics and the jerseys I liked from my childhood, as well as keeping my Isles collection going.

Yeah I was going to say that would be darn near impossible. There are definitely Bruins heritage sweaters out there, which are reproductions of the sweaters worn back in the day. But I don't think there are ones of EVERY single jersey the Bruins wore. Before the 1967 expansion Boston changed their uniforms frequently, so that might be a tall task. I'm trying to do what NYI Jim suggested for the Penguins and that is somewhat difficult. It's going to be very hard for me to find Penguin jerseys from the mid-1970s, mostly because I have NEVER seen their mid-70s jerseys anywhere - replica, game worn, or authentic - for sale.

But I believe what Jim suggested is easier for the newer franchises because their jerseys aren't nearly as hard to find. For example, obtaining all of the Florida Panthers jerseys from 1993-present isn't extremely challenging. You might have to dig, pay some bucks, and be willing to trade, but it can be done. Obviously if you try this with a team like Boston or another original six, it's that much harder. But thanks to Mitchell and Ness, Ebbetts Field Flannels, and other vintage jersey producers, it's not impossible. :P

EDIT: Bruinsfan, if you do end up going this route, you might want to start with current jerseys first and slowly (and I do mean slowly) work your way back decade by decade. EDGE jerseys are obviously easy to find and the 6100s aren't too bad. The Bruins third "pooh bear" jersey is common on ebay and I have also seen early 90s Bruins jerseys on there too.

I knew when I posted it that it would be hard to do for the Bruins. But you are right Slugger, with the newer franchises, you can easily collect them all.With the Isles it is possible. I would love to get both blue/white, but as long as I have one from the era, I am content. That is my new year's resolution :lol:

Ok, time to start up another noob tutorial. What's the low-down on getting game-worn jerseys? I probably won't be getting one any time soon, but I might as well seek some advice beforehand so when I do go on the hunt, I'll be armed with some know-how. I know Meigray is the big supplier for gamers and luckily for me, they still supply Bruins jerseys on a large-scale basis, but what are my other options?

PS - I think I'm getting hooked...

Edited by BruinsFan