Need help!

WingedWheelers

Received a great deal on a Nike Red Wings authentic, but needed to strip it since I wanted a Shanahan. I cut all the threads with a stitch ripper, tried to take the twill letters off, but they were really glued down hard. I used goof-off on the back of the jersey to dissolve the glue a bit, and then everything came right off. However, a lot of glue was left on the jersey. I did an initial scrub using goof-off and a toothbrush, and ran it through the wash. After the jersey dried, I used the goof-off again to try to get the remaining glue off. There seems to be a slight haze where the twill letters were, like there's a layer of glue that just won't come off. Also, some of the glue is actually stuck inside the tiny holes in the air-knit material. Any ideas or tips on how to get this thing looking new again? I've included pictures below.

Slight haze where twill was glued down to jersey:

img6139o.jpg

Glue stuck in the air-knit holes:

img6140m.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of somewhat bad news. I've had the same glue residue issue inbetween airknit and being meticulous there was only 1 way I was able to do it to my satisfaction. It involved a clothes steamer and tweezers... i'm sure you can guess where this it going.

I initially tried an iron on the steam setting but all that happens is the residue gets soft and pliable, and then fuzes to the airknit once it cools. The only way to do it is keep the area consistantly steamed and moist so the glue is soft, and then CAREFULLY use tweezers to lift the little spots up.

If you've already done the Goo Gone and wash cycle several times it's unlikely anything else will work.

It's unfortunate though, because sometimes the heat of washing in warm water, or ironing if done by the previous owner is enough to set the glue so much so that it's impossible to remove.

Try the steam and tweezers though if you're die hard and have about 7 days of your life to spare ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of somewhat bad news. I've had the same glue residue issue inbetween airknit and being meticulous there was only 1 way I was able to do it to my satisfaction. It involved a clothes steamer and tweezers... i'm sure you can guess where this it going.

I initially tried an iron on the steam setting but all that happens is the residue gets soft and pliable, and then fuzes to the airknit once it cools. The only way to do it is keep the area consistantly steamed and moist so the glue is soft, and then CAREFULLY use tweezers to lift the little spots up.

If you've already done the Goo Gone and wash cycle several times it's unlikely anything else will work.

It's unfortunate though, because sometimes the heat of washing in warm water, or ironing if done by the previous owner is enough to set the glue so much so that it's impossible to remove.

Try the steam and tweezers though if you're die hard and have about 7 days of your life to spare ;)

I knew this was going to be a pain in the a$$ just from the fact that the letters were glued on so firmly that it took goof-off to even release them from the fabric. I'm going to try another goof-off pass tomorrow morning, and if that doesn't work I'll try your steam method.

Get yourself a raggy white t-shirt and cut it down one of the sides so you can use just one layer of it. Put the t-shirt over the spots and hit it with a VERY HOT iron BUT keep it in constant motion AND use a lot of steam. That's usually enough to pull the glue off the jersey and onto the t-shirt. I've done that a bunch of times and it almost always works for those tiny little spots of residue.

Get yourself a raggy white t-shirt and cut it down one of the sides so you can use just one layer of it. Put the t-shirt over the spots and hit it with a VERY HOT iron BUT keep it in constant motion AND use a lot of steam. That's usually enough to pull the glue off the jersey and onto the t-shirt. I've done that a bunch of times and it almost always works for those tiny little spots of residue.

Sewing, steaming, ironing, stain removal. You are like the Martha Stewart of hockey jerseys. :thumbsup:

Exact method I've used succesfully before. This worked really well on one that I thought was ruined after I stripped it..it was the only thing that worked.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think the goof-off stained or bleached anything, the white is only on the jersey where the numbers were. I'm going to try acetone and see if that helps any, and then Brilliant's t-shirt method after that to get the glue out from the holes.

Sewing, steaming, ironing, stain removal. You are like the Martha Stewart of hockey jerseys. :thumbsup:

HA!! I told my buddy the same thing a few weeks ago. I don't work, I cook, I sew and I clean hockey jerseys. I'm like a stay-at-home mom. :D

HA!! I told my buddy the same thing a few weeks ago. I don't work, I cook, I sew and I clean hockey jerseys. I'm like a stay-at-home mom. :D

No, you're a stay at home hockey mom :P

Great success! A little bit of acetone on a rag, and some elbow grease, got rid of the hazy glue residue that was left. Brilliant's iron method for getting the bits of glue out of the holes worked well too. I got most of the biggest ones out, but there are still a few small white specs left that the iron wouldn't get. I'm not worried about it, the customization will probably cover most of it up, and its not very noticeable unless you're looking at it really closely. Overall, I'm pleased with the result given the amount of glue left on this thing.

Great success! A little bit of acetone on a rag, and some elbow grease, got rid of the hazy glue residue that was left. Brilliant's iron method for getting the bits of glue out of the holes worked well too. I got most of the biggest ones out, but there are still a few small white specs left that the iron wouldn't get. I'm not worried about it, the customization will probably cover most of it up, and its not very noticeable unless you're looking at it really closely. Overall, I'm pleased with the result given the amount of glue left on this thing.

You'll be amazed at how little you'll notice once you get it re-customized. Whatever still shows after that will eventually come out with a few washes of the jersey.