A Question of Etiquette

Robert  Ullman

So, what's the prevailing opinion on buying an authentic jersey from rookie camp...not game-worn...of a player who was sent down or cut from the team, but who wore the number of an established player during rookie camp. Then switching out the nameplate of the jersey to bear the name of said established player?

Say if you took this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEVIN-HENDERSON-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Game-Worn-Jersey-/330504464961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf399ea41#ht_500wt_1156

And had someone attach a TALBOT nameplate insted. Disrespectful, I suppose, to the rookie who didn't make it out of camp...but a hard and fast no-no?

What say thee, boys?

If you're going to keep it in your own collection, you can do whatever you wish with it.

But if you plan on reselling it, make sure to say it isn't a legit Talbot gamer and shed light on the alterations you made.

I would NEVER never do anything to a documented pre-season, rookie camp, or regular season gamer or a game issued jersey, but that's just me. I don't think it really matters whether you're going to sell it either, but again, that's just me.

2 Reasons NOT to do it.

A ) One day Kevin Henderson becomes the next Gretzky... You would have desecrated a ROOKIE jersey fully documented of the next Great One (Highly Unlikely but hey you never know)

B ) You are altering a Game Worn jersey... Anyone can buy an Edge authentic 2.0 blank and make up a Talbot jersey, you cannot make up a Game Worn jersey.

Just a purest opinion, but hey, do what makes you happy if you never plan on selling it.

However the "Rookie" patch would no longer make sense if you made it a Talbot.

I would not consider a rookie camp jersey to be especially sacred, especially if the player is rather ordinary if you research his stats. In that case it becomes a matter of economy. If you can get it and convert it cheaply enough, go for it.

not meaning to hijack this thread but I have a question that ironically just came up over the last day or two and is very similar to his question.....

Found a Game Worn jersey (yes, Nordiques, LOL), but has no nameplate on it,

just the number #12. (Wasn't removed, just wasn't one on to begin with)

Brilliant and myself looked into it, he discovered that it's legit,

most likely a pre-season gamer which why no nameplate...

and from the CCM hem patch it's from 1989-91 and only player who wore that

#12 was Ken McRae.

So if I bought it, for my display use only and not to sell, would it be bad to add a McRAE nameplate to that jersey????

Now you are talking about a 20 year old jersey from a defunct franchise. And it's a preseason game worn jersey, not a prospect camp jersey. I wouldn't mess with that one. It feels much more historical in this case.

I consider game-worn jerseys to be sacred. They capture a moment in a career and are something truly unique that once altered, can never be undone.

That being said, I don't consider training camp or practice jerseys to be "game-worn" and receive this special honor. I'm on the fence about pre-season jerseys, but for the most part I only uphold the sanctity of true NHL regular season/playoff game worn jerseys.

As others said, if you do modify a pre-season/training camp jersey, just be honest about it's pedigree if you ever sell it.

I consider game-worn jerseys to be sacred. They capture a moment in a career and are something truly unique that once altered, can never be undone.

That being said, I don't consider training camp or practice jerseys to be "game-worn" and receive this special honor. I'm on the fence about pre-season jerseys, but for the most part I only uphold the sanctity of true NHL regular season/playoff game worn jerseys.

As others said, if you do modify a pre-season/training camp jersey, just be honest about it's pedigree if you ever sell it.

This is kinda where I am on the issue. I'd never mess with an actual game-worn sweater...maybe not even pre-season...but rookie camp is kind of a different animal.

And any sort of "alterations" I'd make would be just to have a nice, officially-customized authentic jersey to knock around in at a (let's face it) much lower price...I wouldn't have any designs on trying to resell and pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Thanks for the input, fellas!