knock off jersey article

IIHFjerseycollector

Reading the comments on the bottom gives you all the info you need on this topic. Most people don't care and will continue to buy counterfit because it's cheaper.

Unfortunately, the counterfeiting will never end. Law enforcement can seize as many shipments as they want, but its only going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the entire jersey black market.

In my opinion, the two best ways to combat it are:

1) Education. A lot of people don't even realize that these jerseys are fakes. If Reebok/NHL had some sort of ad campaign to educate the public on whats real and whats fake, it would make a difference. Just by reading this forum, I can tell a fake jersey from a mile away. Have the ads play in the stadium between periods, make those who are wearing them feel embarrassed when everyone figures out their jersey is fake :lol:

2) Pricing. The retail pricing for both replica and authentic jerseys is way too high, in my opinion. I'm sure there is one hell of a mark-up at retail on these things. If the legit jerseys were more accessible in terms of price, people wouldn't feel the need to buy a cheaper knock-off.

I think we all know that counterfeiting will never stop. People are cheap, that's the bottom line. And that is something that will never change. Let's do our part and educate friends/family etc about these shite jerseys and maybe by word of mouth we can make a little dent in problem.

I am taking a government class and need to do current events...I think I found my next societal problem! Thanks for sharing!

When the fakes started to first come out, the Penguins posted something on their website educating the fans on fakes/licensed jerseys...I'll look for the article

I really don't believe RBK cares about fakes. How many people actually buy Edge jerseys? I have never bought a single one from a retailer. They get their big bucks from the NHL, and are content with that. If they really cared about general public sales, they would drop the prices and make sure nobody sold fakes in North America.

Feds shut down 82 websites selling Chinese-made counterfeit goods

Washington (CNN) -- Federal agents highlighted Cyber Monday, a peak day for online shopping, by seizing 82 websites selling Chinese-made counterfeit products in a crackdown designed to severely sting criminals in the pocketbook.

The knock-off goods carrying leading U.S. and other Western brands sold for a mere fraction of the cost of authentic fashions, handbags, watches, sunglasses, shoes, scarves and other consumer goods.

"We have disrupted the sale of thousands of counterfeit items while also cutting off funds to those willing to exploit the ingenuity of others for their own personal gain," said Attorney General Eric Holder.

Holder and other top federal authorities said most of the commercial websites engaged in the illegal sales were operated by Chinese firms, and the counterfeit goods were virtually all made in China.

No arrests were associated with the takedown of the websites.

"These are all based in China, and it's very difficult," said John Morton, director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. "We have had cooperation from the Chinese government on some specific operations, although not this one. Let's just say we have a long way to go."

The U.S. officials pointed to the costs not only to the companies ripped off, but also to the larger economy, including lost jobs and lost tax revenue.

Morton told reporters at a Justice Department news conference he has no illusions the game is over for these fraudulent operations.

"Some of them will be back, but it will take a long time, and we got them at the height of the online shopping season," he said.

Among individual firms that had been particularly victimized were Timberland, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Coach and Rolex, officials said.

Morton said a related raid was carried out at a residence in the United Kingdom on Monday morning, in connection with a website shut down in June that had recently reopened under a new name.

The 82 site names were associated with dot-com addresses operating in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Colorado, New Jersey, Ohio, Washington state and the District of Columbia.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/29/us.counterfeit.goods/index.html?eref=rss_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_latest+%28RSS:+Most+Recent%29

The Justice Department seized 82 websites, four of them in New Jersey, on "Cyber Monday," charging them with selling counterfeit NBA and NFL jerseys, bogus Louis Vuitton bags and Chanel perfume, and various other knockoffs, including DVD box sets and mp3s.

Although most of the sites were based in China, four operated out of New Jersey: 2009jerseys.com; dvdprostore.com; golfstaring.com; and ipodnanouk.com.

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/beyond/1873-ice-seizes-82-sites-in-cyber-monday-crackdown-on-fake-goods-four-in-nj-n-nj-

Some of these people whining about the quality on that page are ridiculous. They know nothing about economics. The high prices of the authentics, which are made in Canada if I recall, keep the quality high (regardless of what some of the ultrafill and 2.0 snobs have to say lol)

The high prices of the authentics, which are made in Canada if I recall, keep the quality high (regardless of what some of the ultrafill and 2.0 snobs have to say lol)

As a "2.0 snob" I don't knock the quality of the Edge 1.0 Authentics when compared to the fakes. Yes I prefer older cuts and materials for jerseys and I feel they are superior to the Edge and Swift materials/cuts but they are all far better quality than the fakes without question.

I do wish Reebok and Nike would take a harder stance on counterfeit jerseys. Create some kiosks that have a fake jersey and an authentic jersey side-by-side to let the consumers see the difference. Put these in the pro shops of all the NHL arenas as well as at major sports retailers like D!cks etc. I also think they need to introduce a better entry level replica (fully screened) and adjust the prices down slightly and then do a better job of educating consumers on the "levels" of jerseys. Charge like $50-60 for the screened replica, $100-115 for a replica with heat press numbers, and $200-250 for a customized sewn authentic.

Some people are just plain Stupid or Ignorant. The rest are just plain cheap. that's about it IMO

you want to buy a rolex? You KNOW you will be paying alot of cash so better get out the check book but if you want a rolex but can't afford it well then your way our of your league and shouldent buy rolex. Stick with timex cuz the fake rolex will be even worse then a Legit timex watch.

Same thing with jerseys.

Some of these people whining about the quality on that page are ridiculous. They know nothing about economics. The high prices of the authentics, which are made in Canada if I recall, keep the quality high (regardless of what some of the ultrafill and 2.0 snobs have to say lol)

I guess I'm a "2.0 snob" as well but just so you know I never put down the quality of the 1.0's I just stated my opinion that the 2.0's are better. Also, I own 5 1.0's so I do think they are quality jerseys especially when you compare them to fakes. Again, like I said, I think the 2.0's are better.

Finally, your "2.0 snobs" comment is out of line and I'm sure there are a few members along with myself that took it personally.

2.0's even look better.

I'm sorry, I'm a poor college student. I spent more than $200 on my two edge 1.0s and I am dang proud of both of them. The way some on here talk about 2.0s compared to 1.0s make me feel like the 1.0s aren't the real authentics and just a step over a Premier. I don't have a job and $300 to fork out for a 2.0. That's my take, didn't intend to ruffle any feathers.

I'm sorry, I'm a poor college student. I spent more than $200 on my two edge 1.0s and I am dang proud of both of them. The way some on here talk about 2.0s compared to 1.0s make me feel like the 1.0s aren't the real authentics and just a step over a Premier. I don't have a job and $300 to fork out for a 2.0. That's my take, didn't intend to ruffle any feathers.

my two Leafs 2.0's were $75 each.

Some people are just plain Stupid or Ignorant. The rest are just plain cheap. that's about it IMO

you want to buy a rolex? You KNOW you will be paying alot of cash so better get out the check book but if you want a rolex but can't afford it well then your way our of your league and shouldent buy rolex. Stick with timex cuz the fake rolex will be even worse then a Legit timex watch.

Same thing with jerseys.

I'm sorry but thats just a bad example. Most people buy Rolex as a status thing and by buying a fake, think can bring them to that status. People buy fake jerseys because they either like the player and/or the team and can't afford the real goods. I don't think people buy fake Rolex's because they can't afford the real thing. And plus you're talking about a difference of 100 times (Real Rolex average=$1000, fake Rolex=$10 depending on how good you are at haggling). I barely think jerseys are really about status now...

I can see the appeal of fake jerseys though (I would never own one though but only because I have the means to be able to afford real ones). To some, $300 just isn't worth it but they want something. Same goes for fake DVDs, CDs, illegal downloading. Everyone will always find some means to save a buck for other worthwhile things. If one wants to talk about economics, lets be realistic here and say that no matter what Reebok, CCM, Nike, Adidas charge, they make a profit. Good quality or bad quality. I mean I haven't seen a fake jersey but I doubt the quality is that much worse then the real thing. They might look shoddy, but in terms of how long it'll last you, it'll probably last close to the same life as the real one. To go back to the watch comparison, the same cannot be said. Rolex timepieces versus fake, quality is just no competition obviously just like my Tissot's quality will be much better than a fake because of its functionality of the real vs the non-existence of that function on a fake. If you want to talk about an Edge 1.0, 2.0 or a Premier and their 'functions', lets be honest here and say maybe .5 percent of the people wear them for actual game use, and everyone else wears their jerseys around the house, or to games, not for actually playing in games and need that water repelling or absorbing system.

Anywho, my point being is that really, I think companies need to lower their price point. Is it fair that they have to compete against fakes? No, of course not but it could be argued their prices aren't fair and they're driving people to buy fakes. They can lower their prices where people are happy, quality is still fine, and potentially drive out some of these counterfeiters. If they keep up these prices, there will be a never ending stream of fakes. They lower their price, they have a chance.

I really hope that all made sense haha

Absolutely. I agree with you 100% actually. As long as prices for REAL jerseys are so high, people will go elsewhere. If that means getting crap for $30, then that's what they'll do. I guarantee at least 8 out of 10 people don't care that they're wearing a fake jersey. Only collectors like us take the time and effort to really understand what they purchase. $400 for a pro jersey with a name on it? That's insanity. I've bought game-worn jerseys for less than that. Reebok and Nike have gotten so caught up in these jersey 'systems' that they priced their target market; the average fan consumer, right out of the picture.

As a "2.0 snob" I don't knock the quality of the Edge 1.0 Authentics when compared to the fakes. Yes I prefer older cuts and materials for jerseys and I feel they are superior to the Edge and Swift materials/cuts but they are all far better quality than the fakes without question.

I do wish Reebok and Nike would take a harder stance on counterfeit jerseys. Create some kiosks that have a fake jersey and an authentic jersey side-by-side to let the consumers see the difference. Put these in the pro shops of all the NHL arenas as well as at major sports retailers like D!cks etc. I also think they need to introduce a better entry level replica (fully screened) and adjust the prices down slightly and then do a better job of educating consumers on the "levels" of jerseys. Charge like $50-60 for the screened replica, $100-115 for a replica with heat press numbers, and $200-250 for a customized sewn authentic.

Agree 100% The reason people choose to go the fake route is primarily price, because it obviously isn't quality. If you look at a replica jersey from 10 years ago, and compare it to a replica sold new today, the difference is obvious. Yet, the price goes up. Sell a quality product at a fair price, and no one will choose the cheaper fake jersey route.