The US is Stepping in...

JohnnyOnTheSpot

hmm, don´t like fakes, but don´t like censorship either....i am afraid of what sites are next.

That's not censorship. The site isn't run by Julian Assange.

It's just good old fashion police work.

Johnny, when you finish that law degree I hope you take up the cause for us!

Haha I'll see what I can do. I'd personally do it, hell, this site has made me an expert in the field. If I work intellectual property, I'll bring this up. Maybe I'll give Reebok a call when I graduate.

just saying: hope they don´t go on a powertrip on close ramdon non-jersey sites on the net..........besides , i think it should be the people that buy fake jerseys that should be punished, and they are in a way by buying a crap product, but if some poor dude can´t afford a real jersey, why can´t he be allowed to buy a cheper one, if it makes him happy.....i myself are not happy unless i have the on-ice jersey......but people are different..........the sites that are closed, are they all US based?

There is no God-given right to own a jersey. If someone can't afford to buy a legitimate jersey, then buy a t-shirt. And if someone pirated something that you owned and sold cheap knock-offs over the internet and at flea markets depriving you of income, you might rethink things a bit.

There was a guy selling fakes via YouTube of all places - posting videos of each shipment he got in and telling people to contact him for orders. The idiot shot the videos while wearing a shirt and ID badge from the school district he worked for. Some of the videos even appeared to be shot at his workplace where apparently the shipments were being sent. A few people on another jersey board found this out and contacted his employers.

I don't know if the guy got fired - but I know for posting in support of those who contacted his employers I received a number of threats via PM. Apparently people DO think it's their right to sell fakes and take exception to people trying to take away their livelihood.

There is no God-given right to own a jersey. If someone can't afford to buy a legitimate jersey, then buy a t-shirt. And if someone pirated something that you owned and sold cheap knock-offs over the internet and at flea markets depriving you of income, you might rethink things a bit.

Totally agree. I do think there's a separate discussion for whether Reebok charge too much for their jerseys, but fakes aren't the way round that. Delighted to see the US government stepping in, about time too.

Oh please. Censorship? These guys are conducting ILLEGAL activities. Why SHOULDN'T they be tapped and pay for their wrong-doings?

IMO the government should prosecute to the FULLEST extent. Similar to if someone was manufacturing and selling counterfeit Rolex watches or something along those lines. They should pay the penalty.

ICEJERSEYS FORUM TASK FORCE ASSSSEEEEMMBBBBLLLLLLLEEEE!!!!

We could probably come up with a better name though, let's fight counterfeiting as a internet forum group and sell comics of our heroic adventures and become rich.

That's not a bad idea. :thumbsup: We already have Fire Boudreau as the Jersey Foul Police (who does a pretty nice job), so I am sure we could create a task force. :thumbsup:

I was just thinking: Another way for us to fight counterfeit jerseys is for all of us to get in the habit of pointing out that the jerseys are counterfeit, rather than simply fakes or knock-offs. The word 'counterfeit' has a much more negative sigma attached to it than the other two, which will hopefully cause people to realize the illegality of it all before they purchase.

I took some guy down on craigslist about a month ago. After all of his posts for $70 authentic sabres jerseys I would post the "how to spot a fake" info. He flipped out on me but I kept going. He stopped posting then I did...but sadly 3 more people started up like a week later. It takes a lot of work. But I mean the new sabres fakes they have out are sooooo bad you have to be a total donk to think they are authentic.

i think it should be the people that buy fake jerseys that should be punished,

well I think most people who buy them don't realize they are fake.

Sure most on here who collect them as a hobby and know everything about the jerseys

can tell, but the casual fan who see's a nice looking jersey for $40 they jump on it.

They don't study jerseys or tell the difference.

I was one who got burned awhile back, bought a fake Nordiques jersey and didn't realize it til I received it.

Why? Because I bought off a site who shows pics from other real sites, believe it or not.

Yes they used nhl.com and yahoo.com shop pictures, don't know how they get away with that.

And they're still using them. I know because I did a search on the image file and found the original source.

Some of these jerseys are just horrid looking, off color, name, fonts, material....

While others I bet can't even tell they're fakes (to the causal fan and not the collectors).

I have seen some good ones.... mostly NFL jerseys or MLB baseball.... but hockey they all pretty much sad looking. (NFL real replica's or authentic's are not the best material to begin with anyways)

When I got the jersey, was the color right away that threw it off... so obvious.

Then i looked into it more, found this site (thank you all) and got more serious about jerseys and know the difference now.

before you even see the jerseys you can tell from the websites that they the fake ones.

Just the website layout etc....

Like nogoal said, and on my cities Craigslist and Toronto etc it's filled with people selling these.

I messaged some and 99% I got no answer cuz they know they are selling fakes and I nailed them!

Craigslist and Kijiji has the report ad... perhaps start doing that on every ad you see.

When I saw they closed 82 of those sites (probably all based in China) well thats great news.

Wish we could do a "report site" and get them all closed!

And it's not just jersey's... as most of the sites was other stuff like brand name clothing, purses, etc...

It's getting out there more, in the news, on the web.... stories of these busts are popping up more often,

so that's good... will take time.

HIGH-FIVE! I LIKE! :thumbsup:

HIGH-FIVE! I LIKE! :thumbsup:

This is a true statement. However, when people buy counterfeit jerseys, they are in a sense "promoting" them, as in they are encouraging the sellers of the fakes to keep selling because people are buying the jerseys. IMO that is still in a way "promoting" the use and purchasing of fake jerseys. But like Monk said, anyone can do whatever they feel like, regardless if it is what everyone else does or not.

feds intercept 130k in jerseys..

http://www.wpxi.com/news/26314004/detail.html

That's what I'm talking about!!! :D Maybe this will wake up the consumers. I am glad to see US security and the government are starting to make some headway in this issue.

Wow; kudos to the Canucks for coming up with a nice little tutorial like that. It's good to see some teams finally taking action against this garbage. The subtitle of that page says it all too. "You can do better than these sweaters." Amen to that.

Wow; kudos to the Canucks for coming up with a nice little tutorial like that. It's good to see some teams finally taking action against this garbage. The subtitle of that page says it all too. "You can do better than these sweaters." Amen to that.

I remember seeing the exact same tutorial on the Canadiens website. BTW Canucks fakes look really horrible as well as all other fakes.