The US is Stepping in...

JohnnyOnTheSpot

http://www.borntrade.net/

Go there, you'll be pleased. I was ECSTATIC to hear this was happening, and I hope it's the first step towards ridding the world of this problem.

I want to look into this case, considering I'm taking Intellectual Property right now in law school and will be taking International IP next semester. I'm curious where the site was registered and what rights the US has over international sites, as they've had massive problems before. I HIGHLY doubt China stepped in and helped, so I'm wondering how the US got control over the site in the first place.

Whatever, I'm happy as hell. I'm just glad to see they're stepping in on the internet front.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering about eBay, they actually got sued about this by Tiffany's in the late 90's and won. Since they don't have dominion over any of the products, they aren't contributorily liable for infringement. All they have to do is show that they do a moderate amount of screening (which they do) and they have to reprimand repeat offenders. Oh, and they really don't care about consumer complaints as the only ones with any baring are the trademark holders themselves. Still, cut off the supply, and eBay isn't flooded anymore.

I hate to be a bummer but even if the website is offline, they can just move their server. That happened with online streaming sites like tvshack.net but was 'seized' they then moved to tvshack.cc and are back up again. The site was probably registered in the US if the US took it down. They can't take down sites from other countries. The world will most likely never be rid of counterfeiting, illegal downloading, etc. There are always loopholes around it. It's sad and disappointing but its just the cold hard truth

http://www.borntrade.net/

I'm curious where the site was registered

Domain Name ..................... borntrade.net

Name Server ..................... dns17.hichina.com

dns18.hichina.com

Registrant ID ................... hc791259165-cn

Registrant Name ................. qian caihong

Registrant Organization ......... qian caihong

Registrant Address .............. shisou xiulinguangming road#47

Registrant City ................. shisou

Registrant Province/State ....... HB

Registrant Postal Code .......... 434401

Registrant Country Code ......... CN

Registrant Phone Number ......... +86.02039560880 -

Registrant Fax .................. +86.02039560880 -

Registrant Email ................ pomen_lou@hotmail.com

Expiration Date ................. 2012-11-11 09:23:09

I'm aware that this isn't the end, I'm just saying it's nice to see SOME action. At least make it a little more difficult. And it also seems per LesNordiques wizardry that it's overseas, to boot! Again, I'm just glad to see some action, showing it's on the US' radar.

I also think this is a different creature than streaming sites, considering they don'e deliver concrete goods and ship overseas. It's much harder to police sites delivering cyber goods, especially with no commercial transaction taking place. I assume once the US knows what's going on and where they're being sent from, more seizing will take place as well. And when stuff is being seized that was legitimate, and if it starts affecting Asian exports, my guess is that's when they're government might join the fight.

This is a step in the right direction, and that's my only point. And I'm glad to see it finally being made.

Yep Johnny it is a step in the right direction but it's ABOUT FREAKING TIME there is action being taken! Thank goodness some group of people FINALLY care about the sale of counterfeit merchandise. I guess that makes sense because, well, it's ILLEGAL.

The problem is something should have been done LONG AGO to combat this issue.

Remember when the Montreal Canadiens gave their fans the incentive about trading fakes for a credit on a LEGIT jersey? Well I don't see that happening anymore....

More people need to get together and crack down even more on this matter IMO.

I agree. It was really disheartening to see this over-looked for so long, and while it is overdue, I'm just glad it's FINALLY getting a little attention. Sheesh. I wish they would start a program where consumers can report sites and what not and actually have someone look into it. I'm sick of this crap.

HAHAH! wicked! 2009JERSEYS.COM NUMBER #1! talk about FACE-PALM!

wouldn't like to be in shoes right now.

I don't think its good to be #1 on any government lists! :thumbsup:

Is there a significance to 2009Jerseys I'm missing? And it's only #1 for alphabetical reasons hahaha.

Now this is some progress I am finally content with. Hopefully the US will find the other major fake manufacturers and put them out of business too. Yeah I agree guys I wouldn't want to be targeted by the US government... at all. I hope those caught get into some DEEP $hit because they deserve it for breaking the law by selling counterfeit merchandise. I would reckon this will not be the last of the big shut downs. I hope it's just the beginning because this is a serious issue for us jersey collectors.

Their timing was impeccable.

Hit them right in the pocket where it hurts the most.

• 3 weeks later...

Recent article about some guy who got busted selling knockoff jerseys. His justification of why he did it is one of the dumbest things I've read in recent memory.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/111970084.html?elr=KArksc8P:Pc:UthPacyPE7iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUoD3aPc:_27EQU

Recent article about some guy who got busted selling knockoff jerseys. His justification of why he did it is one of the dumbest things I've read in recent memory.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/111970084.html?elr=KArksc8P:Pc:UthPacyPE7iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUoD3aPc:_27EQU

Love reading things like this! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome to see some real action on this issue.

Sounds like the guy had a couple of chances to cut his losses and stop selling fakes, but kept doing it - and now he's gotta pay the price.

Awesome to see some real action on this issue.

Sounds like the guy had a couple of chances to cut his losses and stop selling fakes, but kept doing it - and now he's gotta pay the price.

It seems to me people always have their hands caught in the cookie jar. :lol: They can never resist stopping when they can make "more" money. But that's typical. The smart thing would be to NEVER engage in this behavior in the first place. Or this guy should have stopped when he had the chance as you pointed out akteon.

There's a guy on Twitter and Facebook who sells jerseys, goes by the name Legend Sports or some such. Sells NHL, NFL, MLB. I point-blank asked him if his jerseys were real, and he replied they were...I pretty much knew he was lying, the prices were too low to be true, but I ordered a 1996 Wales Conference Lemieux jersey anyway. It was a well-done fake, but a fake nonetheless...all the telltale signs were there. Still trying to decide if I should "out" him, or just leave well enough alone.

There's a guy on Twitter and Facebook who sells jerseys, goes by the name Legend Sports or some such. Sells NHL, NFL, MLB. I point-blank asked him if his jerseys were real, and he replied they were...I pretty much knew he was lying, the prices were too low to be true, but I ordered a 1996 Wales Conference Lemieux jersey anyway. It was a well-done fake, but a fake nonetheless...all the telltale signs were there. Still trying to decide if I should "out" him, or just leave well enough alone.

Call him out for sure. These fakes need to end.

hmm, don´t like fakes, but don´t like censorship either....i am afraid of what sites are next.

Even if censorship was relevant here, which it's not, inducing illegal activities and fraud are not protected under the 1st Amendment. There really is no issue here; the sites are inducing illegal activities and are pushing fraudulent merchandise, so no protection is warranted.

Even if censorship was relevant here, which it's not, inducing illegal activities and fraud are not protected under the 1st Amendment. There really is no issue here; the sites are inducing illegal activities and are pushing fraudulent merchandise, so no protection is warranted.

Johnny, when you finish that law degree I hope you take up the cause for us!