Flyers Winter Classic nameplate material

JimmyGagner

I always figured it was twill too. I had my Winter Classic's customized at Philly Express at the time of the 2010 Winter Classic, so I figured they'd be using the right stuff. They're usually perfect for current Flyers stuff.

I actually spoke to Rob in depth about this in person. I owned an autographed Pronger for a little while from that game and the nameplate was definitely twill. It seemed a little bit lighter? consistency wise than the current twill but definitely black twill. I have never seen 90's ultrafil material used on any Edge jersey.

Gentlemen,

It is most definately not twill. I have only seen the Pronger I have and a Carter (same material) that was at the MeiGray expo in 2010. The best I can desribe it is a black ultrafil material. They are also cut wider (top to bottom) than the current black twill plates. James check again, maybe the did both. Anything is possible. I will try to post close ups later. Pick up that mic, the beat goes on!!! Haha

I emailed Stu at MeiGray. He may recall what went down with those plates. They could have done both?

One thing I have learned from collecting Flyers gamers:

Nothing is WRITTEN IN STONE.

C'mon guys, pics or it didn't happen. Can we get a look at the two gamers?

I have unknowningly unleashed a sh_tstorm regarding the plates, but at least we know the font.....

I actually spoke to Rob in depth about this in person. I owned an autographed Pronger for a little while from that game and the nameplate was definitely twill. It seemed a little bit lighter? consistency wise than the current twill but definitely black twill. I have never seen 90's ultrafil material used on any Edge jersey.

Kurt,

I thought that was a WC 2.0 that somehow got to retail and was later customized with Pronger. It could not have been worn by him as it was a 56. The gamers are 58+. That was what I recall the conversation was right?

One thing I have learned from collecting Flyers gamers:

Nothing is WRITTEN IN STONE.

This goes for team shirts in general. Team lettering houses switch it up all the time. They use what they have around, so if they've used it at least once, then they could have used it 20 times.

You know...if it's not twill, I may know what it is. I had one done up by them, specifically requesting Edge material, and got this garbage back (the top one):

HPIM2974.jpg

It's like...a stocking material. The Edge is used on the other two. You can see it's not porous at all, but it's definitely not twill. I thought I had an anomaly with these, but maybe they had more I was unaware of. It's AWFUL. Here's another with it, on the bottom:

HPIM2975.jpg

If it's the same, they assured me it was from Reebok, which is complete bull. They've lied to me multiple times, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just acquired this stuff on their own. Rob I'd be happy to take a close up tonight if I still have it, and we can compare. I'd be very interested in knowing if this garbage was actually used at some point.

I still think they did some with twill, however. James said it's the exact same material as his numbers when I spoke to him. Maybe they just did a few with this crap.

James can you hit is with a close up of the plate? Is it rigid?

Kurt,

I thought that was a WC 2.0 that somehow got to retail and was later customized with Pronger. It could not have been worn by him as it was a 56. The gamers are 58+. That was what I recall the conversation was right?

Ya, definitely not worn by him but I remember we were both thinking it was done for that game for an autograph purpose or something?

Either way i remember talking about the nameplate in depth, about how you seemed to think it was a little different than the rest. Maybe they did use a slightly lighter material for that game.

IMO THK, your fine with black twill. If, and i stress IF, it is ultrafil the difference is so very miniscule that nobody would be able to tell. Your best bet is to send it to PE and have them do it, request the same thing to be used on yours that was used for that game. Cant go wrong.

Ok Flyer folks....some close ups of the Pronger WC nameplate

100_6945-vi.jpg

100_6947-vi.jpg

100_6954-vi.jpg

100_6965-vi.jpg

A twill plate from my 2010-11 Timonen

100_6973-vi.jpg

And a comparison of the width of the 2010 WC nameplate as compared to the black twill plates. The letter height is identical on each plate.

100_6988-vi.jpg

100_6989-vi.jpg

By comparison to a 2010-11 black flyers practice jersey it is not the stuff they used on the sleeves of the 1.0 (extrafil, superfil, yomamafil, puckboyfil, etc.)

I held the black cuff of my Ultrafil 87-88 Zezel gamer up to the Pronger plate and it matched pretty well. I am holding onto my original thought that it is some kind of Ultrafil material.

And I'm spent.....

Thoughts?

Ya, definitely not worn by him but I remember we were both thinking it was done for that game for an autograph purpose or something?

Either way i remember talking about the nameplate in depth, about how you seemed to think it was a little different than the rest. Maybe they did use a slightly lighter material for that game.

IMO THK, your fine with black twill. If, and i stress IF, it is ultrafil the difference is so very miniscule that nobody would be able to tell. Your best bet is to send it to PE and have them do it, request the same thing to be used on yours that was used for that game. Cant go wrong.

I have bought some ultrafil material from a member here to have a new plate made up. I wonder if there was a mixture of materials used, but I will reserve judgment until we can get some more pictures of the Parent jersey.

For the time being my mind is blown.

Well... I am sure the Carter WC gamer at the expo had the same material as my Pronger. There are at least two out there...James (Cowboys) take a good look at your Parent GI. It will definately appear and feel different if it is the same as the Pronger.

And thk...remember the width difference.

Rob excellent pictures man! That is 100% definitely ultrafil. Being a Flyers fan is confusing to say the least haha. THK i stand corrected, if you got the black ultrafil go with that..it'll be that little extra detail that pushes it over the edge of awesomeness. Pretty neat stuff Rob.

Well... I am sure the Carter WC gamer at the expo had the same material as my Pronger. There are at least two out there...James (Cowboys) take a good look at your Parent GI. It will definately appear and feel different if it is the same as the Pronger.

And thk...remember the width difference.

Rob,

Can you measure your WC plate's height? My normal twill plates measure 5' exactly.

Rob,

Can you measure your WC plate's height? My normal twill plates measure 5' exactly.

The WC nameplate measures 4" and 5/16 of an inch

The normal black twill is 3" and 15/16 of an inch

Lol this is hilarious. Effin' Philly Express is stupid.