Smoke smell?

Xman77

Co-worker recently gave me a dark Bruins jersey from early 00's (I think) and I really like it. Problem is, it literally smells like an ashtray or it was in a housefire. I've washed it once on cold, with oxyclean, and the smell is decreased but still around. Any suggestions? Is there a point at which I should give up? Thanks guys!

I think you should let the jersey air out first before washing. Let your jersey sit outside over night or for 12 hours. That will damper some of the smoke smell. Then wash it again using some detergent and let it air dry. This is what I would do.

But it really depends on how bad the jersey smells. My clothes used to smell like cigarettes when I went to parties or bars (because people were smoking), so I would let my clothes air dry over night then wash them. The smell pretty much came out after that.

Febreze works well against smoke. Just use it like a pretreater - spray it on, let it sit, and wash it (I find Febreze a little perfumey).

Edit - Slugger reminded me that I would take febreze with me on trips when I knew I would be going to bars. I would get home, spray my clothes, and wake up to no smoke smell. That way they didn't contaminate everything else in my suitcase.

Febreze works well against smoke. Just use it like a pretreater - spray it on, let it sit, and wash it (I find Febreze a little perfumey).

Edit - Slugger reminded me that I would take febreze with me on trips when I knew I would be going to bars. I would get home, spray my clothes, and wake up to no smoke smell. That way they didn't contaminate everything else in my suitcase.

Ah good call! Now I remember that I used to do that with my clothes too. I would let sit out and spray Febreeze on them, followed by washing. Surely that will give you some results. Props to you, furiousd. Thanks for the recollection of Febreeze! :thumbsup:

Let it sit in your garage for about two days. Mind you, I live just outside Toronto so in the winter it works very easily. Find a cold place and leave it there for 24-48 hours.

You could also try washing it with some vinegar. I got an old CCM replica on eBay once, and it had a terrible smoke smell. I washed close to a dozen times, and it did nothing. I noticed that smell was heavy around the crest and shoulder patches, so I put a little bit of vinegar on them and washed it again with detergent. It smelled good as new!