Not every jersey looks better with a patch

furiousd

In general, I agree with the idea that every jersey looks better with a patch. Empty space on a jersey is boring. But I ran into a couple of instances where I'd rather leave my jersey patchless, because the patch just didn't belong. Here are my examples, and I know there are others out there. Post some! Or flame me. Whatever. :D

This one is an odd oval in a field of stars. The silver and off-blue just look out of place on a jersey that otherwise only uses two primary colors.

93-94WashhmCotefrt-1.jpg

This patch looks like a bootleg sheriff's badge. On the white jersey, it doesn't even match. On the alt, it doesn't fit in the right spot. The tail on the oil drop forces it way too close to the shoulder patch.

oilerspatchwhite.jpg

oilerspatchalt.jpg

It might be just me but i really like the Oilers patch

In my opinion, every jersey looks good with a 2000 patch or a 75th anniversary patch.

I'm with you there. I could take or leave the font on the 2000 patch, but the fact that they were color matched to each team was really cool. The 75th is so classic. Hmmm.

/grabs wallet

//heads over to murfandpat.com

Despite the sheriff's badge comment, I do actually kind of like the Oilers one I posted. I just don't think it physically fits right on the alt.

I agree in that it really depends on the jersey if it merits a patch or not. I enjoy making commemorative jerseys by adding Cup patches, anniversary patches, etc, but in other cases I just leave my jerseys be. That Caps jersey is a PERFECT example of a patch not belonging on there. Some jerseys are classic and should be left the way they are - Brilliant's Leafs jersey. Think about it, way back in the Original Six era, teams didn't wear patches on their jerseys as a regular occurrence. Now it seems like a team wears a patch every couple seasons.

But bottom line as far as collecting goes. It depends on the collector. If their collection is vintage jerseys, then I can see not wanting to add many patches. But if it's a team collection and there is a wide variety of styles, then adding patches is alright IMO.

Don't have a good picture of it but you can see it throughout the video. The Sharks jersey looks horrible with the numbers on front, the premiere patch, and the anniversary patch underneath the sleeve numbers. Waaayyyyy too much going on!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=77058&navid=DL|NHL|home

As for my, I don't like patches that don't match the team colors. A good example would be the black the late 90's SC-Finals patches on the Red Wings jerseys. Also I don't like patches that are too big like the Bruins 75th Anniversary Patch. I think, everyone has a different taste and this is just my opinion.

Don't have a good picture of it but you can see it throughout the video. The Sharks jersey looks horrible with the numbers on front, the premiere patch, and the anniversary patch underneath the sleeve numbers. Waaayyyyy too much going on!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=77058&navid=DL|NHL|home

anniversary patch underneath the sleeve numbers :o:angry::wacko::blink::noway: with all that crap on the jersey i am surprised the players can stand upright ^_^

SAP is a software company based in Germany. They do quite a bit of sports sponsorship in Europe. They were the title sponsor for the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis for a number of years.

anniversary patch underneath the sleeve numbers :o:angry::wacko::blink::noway: with all that crap on the jersey i am surprised the players can stand upright ^_^

I thought it looked pretty sweet. I wish they had them on both arms! I think any patch makes a jersey more unique, which in my book is better. My new favorite is an HIFK game worn which tons of sponsorship patches. Now I don't want that in the NHL, but I think patches are still a great addition to any jersey no matter where the location.

Here is the San Jose jersey complete with uni numbers, anniversary patch, premier patch and then alternate captains patch! Way too much going on!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/san/gallery/im:urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,ap:20050301:nhl,photo,a8036f37a13a43ba93184b0a25ba288d:1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you there. I could take or leave the font on the 2000 patch, but the fact that they were color matched to each team was really cool. The 75th is so classic. Hmmm.

I liked the fact the NHL2000 patch was color matched as well, my biggest complaint was that it was worn partially in the year 1999. I know we were gearing up for y2k and not sure we'd all make it past midnight alive, but I think that patch would have been better suited to go from Jan 1 2000 to Dec 31, 2000. I know that would be parts of two seasons, but it would make more sense to me to mark the millennium. Just my two cents