pro player replica jersey question

WingedWheelers

Does anyone have any experience with Pro Player replica jerseys? Are they a good quality jersey? I've found a few Pro Player jerseys online that I'm thinking about buying. I mainly have CCM 550 replicas which are great, and I'm hoping these are just as nice.

How do they compare to the CCM 550's in terms of sizing? I wear larges in the CCM's, would a large Pro Player be similar?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure on sizing - I wanna say they seemed to run a bit bigger than the CCM 550s, but don't hold me to that. Hopefully someone else will follow up with some direct 1:1 comparisons.

I will say that many collectors (myself included) consider the ProPlayer replicas to be the absolute BEST hockey jerseys replicas ever made. They are very heavy weight with stitched (not glued) crests/patches and double elbows.

In my opinion the CCM 550 is a solid replica, much better than the current RBK Premier crap, but the ProPlayer replicas are hands-down better than the 550s.

Not sure on sizing - I wanna say they seemed to run a bit bigger than the CCM 550s, but don't hold me to that. Hopefully someone else will follow up with some direct 1:1 comparisons.

I will say that many collectors (myself included) consider the ProPlayer replicas to be the absolute BEST hockey jerseys replicas ever made. They are very heavy weight with stitched (not glued) crests/patches and double elbows.

In my opinion the CCM 550 is a solid replica, much better than the current RBK Premier crap, but the ProPlayer replicas are hands-down better than the 550s.

Awesome, thanks for the info. As long as the sizing is close, it should fit. The quality sounds solid. The jersey is blank, so now the only problem is trying to decide what player to get stitched on the back of it :D

I have a Pro Player replica and I would say it fits just a hair bigger than the 550's, but its barely noticeable. and to reiterate the point, they are amazing quality replicas, definitely pick one up if you can.

I have a Pro Player replica and I would say it fits just a hair bigger than the 550's, but its barely noticeable. and to reiterate the point, they are amazing quality replicas, definitely pick one up if you can.

Do you know how Starter brand compares to Pro Player? I've found both online, and the Starter is a little cheaper. Both mention that the team logo is stitched onto the front of the jersey as opposed to being glued on. I like my jerseys to be heavy weight (unlike the current reebok stuff), so the Pro Player sounds great, but if Starter is similar I could save a few bucks.

Starter used a supplier in South Korea to manufacture their replicas. When they went belly up, ProPlayer used the same supplier, but they also made some of their jerseys in Canada. I have a Stars PP Korea and Canada, and there are differences. The logo on the Korean jersey is directly embroidered to the chest, whereas the Canadian jersey is embroidered to a patch which is stitched to the chest. The materials seem to be similar, though. Good stuff those ProPlayers.

Do you know how Starter brand compares to Pro Player? I've found both online, and the Starter is a little cheaper. Both mention that the team logo is stitched onto the front of the jersey as opposed to being glued on. I like my jerseys to be heavy weight (unlike the current reebok stuff), so the Pro Player sounds great, but if Starter is similar I could save a few bucks.

I have a Starter Canucks, and it's nice enough that I've never really felt compelled to upgrade to an authentic. It feels just as heavy as a couple of my authentic air-knits from that era.

th_BureCanucksFront.jpg

Dangit, I just realized that the "96" version probably shouldn't have that patch. Sigh. Still a nice jersey, though.

I have a Starter Canucks, and it's nice enough that I've never really felt compelled to upgrade to an authentic. It feels just as heavy as a couple of my authentic air-knits from that era.

th_BureCanucksFront.jpg

Dangit, I just realized that the "96" version probably shouldn't have that patch. Sigh. Still a nice jersey, though.

Nice jersey you have there. I ended up buying a starter away wings jersey, and a pro player home jersey, off craigslist - both blank. $40 for the pair. I'm picking them up sometime this week. Based on what I've read here I think I'll be very happy with them.

Nice jersey you have there. I ended up buying a starter away wings jersey, and a pro player home jersey, off craigslist - both blank. $40 for the pair. I'm picking them up sometime this week. Based on what I've read here I think I'll be very happy with them.

Well, didn't end up buying these. Went to pick them up and they were a bit rougher than what was described. They were both made in Korea, and the material was a lot cheaper feeling than my CCM replicas. The CCM replicas that are made overseas seem to be made from the same type of cheap material. Mine are made in Canada and the airknit materials is pretty sturdy and thick.

The Red Wings crest was embroidered directly to the fabric, but the red parts of the logo between the wheel spokes was all bubbling up and didn't look right. I don't think they were knock-offs, just looked cheaply made.

Oh well, I guess I should just hold out for those good Canadian made jerseys. I still haven't met a jersey I've liked that hasn't made in Canada, lesson learned I guess. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a brand new sabres goathead proplayer today for $20. Any one have a pp replica they could put some shots of up? After reading this thread it seems like there are some conflicting reports of quality. Thanks

Here's a Hawks Proplayer, size Large...it fits like a CCM size 48. I'd say hands down it's the best replica in terms of quality, this one I'd say is pretty much an authentic minus the fight strap (and of course the lack of chain stiching in the hawks patches). I'm looking to eventually move all my replica's but this will be one I keep.

100_1230.jpg

100_1231.jpg

Thanks MK I appreciate the help. Is yours made in Canada or Korea?

Also what time frame were these being produced? So I can get the correct player on it.

I'll check when I get home...I'm not entirely sure to be honest.

They were worn by players in 99/00, well the authentics.

Also what time frame were these being produced? So I can get the correct player on it.

ProPlayer was only around for one season, 1999-2000. They got into making NHL jerseys by buying Starter's license, but went out of business in the summer of 2000. They made replicas for all teams even those who didn't wear ProPlayer on the ice. They also made jerseys for the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Minnesota Wild, even though those teams didn't start playing until the following season.

So to be accurate, go with a player from 99-00 and add the NHL 2000 patch. Granted the Sabres wore CCM that year on the ice, so it won't be 100% accurate.

ProPlayer made replica jerseys for all 30 teams (Minn and CLB included), but they made authentics for the following teams for the 1999-2000 season:

Anaheim

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Columbus (never worn on ice, H & A)

Edmonton

Florida

Minnesota (never worn on ice, H only)

Montreal

New Jersey

New York Rangers

Phoenix

Pittsburgh

All other teams were CCM that season. When Fruit Of The Loom folded ProPlayer, CCM/Koho took over all 30 teams starting in 2000-01.

Also akteon the sabres did wear the ProPlayer on ice that year not the ccm.

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=35&lotid=113

Edit: I wasn't necessarily asking as much as I was pointing that out.

Good call - for some reason when I think of Buffalo, I think CCM.

I should have taken my own advice and checked NHLUniforms.com first :)

I've been doing some more research on this since I asked the question. It seems like the replicas of the teams that had their gamers made by proplayer are the higher quality ones. As opposed to the ones made by PP for the teams that did not wear the brand on-ice. The early part of this thread WW says he was looking at a wings sweater and it ended up being pretty budget (detroit never wore pp games). Hawksfan raves about his and chicago was on one of the on-ice teams. I've seen a blues pp sweater that looks like crap everything is embroidered in to the sweater itself. A rangers that looks like a gamer...and so on.

Do you guys think there is any credence to my assumptions, coincidence...was this true of other manufacturers? Thanks everybody.

I've been doing some more research on this since I asked the question. It seems like the replicas of the teams that had their gamers made by proplayer are the higher quality ones. As opposed to the ones made by PP for the teams that did not wear the brand on-ice. The early part of this thread WW says he was looking at a wings sweater and it ended up being pretty budget (detroit never wore pp games). Hawksfan raves about his and chicago was on one of the on-ice teams. I've seen a blues pp sweater that looks like crap everything is embroidered in to the sweater itself. A rangers that looks like a gamer...and so on.

Do you guys think there is any credence to my assumptions, coincidence...was this true of other manufacturers? Thanks everybody.

No.

Pro Player replica jerseys were made in Canada and Korea. I have a Stars white jersey made in Canada with a sewn on crest patch, whereas my Korean made one has the logo directly embroidered to the front of the jersey. That doesn't mean that the Korean jerseys are bad, just a little different. Pro Player and Starter made jerseys with sewn crests and patches (with very little borders), whereas the CCM's from that era had glued on crests and patches with more borders. Starter was notorious for errors on teams that they supplied authentics to, so jerseys, as with most things, very on a case-by-case situation.