Removing screenprinting

HockeyMusic

I need to remove screen printing from a jersey, but I'm not sure what I can use to break down the heat sealing without ruining the jersey. Anyone have any input on this or some stories to share about previous experiences of what did or didn't work?

thanks in advance for any help on this.

You might find some useful information regarding this and similar topics in this thread:

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2721

I would suggest trying either "Goof off" or acetone. I can't guarantee this will completely remove the screen print, but I have firm beliefs that it will dissolve the screen printed letters and numbers. I would spray / pour some on a towel or rag and wipe it on the spot of interest. But make sure you work outside or in a well ventilated area because both chemicals have strong odors.

I'm in a similar quandary with a late-1980s white Flyers airknit jersey (single CCM patch rather than the three blocks).

Someone had the felt-type material heat-pressed to the jersey, which I've been able to remove from other ones via heat, but this is on there about as solidly as can be. I can't even get a corner to start peeling or anything.

If it were a font remotely close, I might be able to tolerate it. But it's a standard black block font #22 (back only) and a black TOCCHET in standard font on the back. Basically, it looks like it was done in among a bunch of youth league baseball jerseys.

Hey Nathan,

I actually successfully remove screened print on a mid 80s nordiques jersey. However, there are two types of screened print, vinyl and thermal film.

If your Tocchet is vinyl, than forget it, you will NEVER EVER be able to remove it.

If your Tocceht is thermal film, then you have a chance to take it out COMPLETELY, as long as you are willing to devote time into it.

BTW, the chemical I used is not acetone or goo-gone, it is something else that you have to go to a place that specialize in chemical in order to get it.

If you can take more detail pic that will be great. But if you can peel off the black film, then it is thermal film...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been able to do it. I bought an old XFL jersey on ebay that had a vinyl 1 on the front and back. All clean and got the tackle twill stitched on this week.

You need to buy Goof Off

Cotton Balls or a clean dry rag

Lay the jersey with the number you are trying to remove down with a paper towel under it. Pull up the other side so you can get to the back of the number that is facing down.

Here's where you have to be careful. Take the goof off and drip it on to the cotton ball or rag and dab it on to the back of the number. Small amounts, you dont want the material to be damp. So just do a little bit at first at the very top of the number. Then flip it over and try to peel back the vinyl. What you are trying to do is just dissolve the part that is adhered to the jersey not the whole number. If you soak it the number will melt into the jersey material. So you have to be light on the goof off.

Do not scrape at it, it must peel off in big chunks or its going to be a mess, so take your time.

It will work and come out fine, but you cannot rush. I'll post pictures of my jersey I did if you would like.

Good Luck

If its available send me a link or picture of the jersey you are looking at, I may be able to tell you if it think it would work. I am really happy about how this turned out, all the numbers came up clean. I did all the stitch work myself it was too much of a joke to send it off to get it done somewhere.

The pros use and I use methylene chloride. It used for screen print and thermo film removal.