Removing Patches

madflava

Hi I just removed a patch from a jersey that was ironed on. I removed it by laying a cloth over it and then using an iron, it did the trick by softening the glue and allowing me to pull it off but it left some glue residue and some stains from the patch. I think the stains is just color on the layer of glue residue. Any tips on how to remove this residue? Should I put a cloth down on it and heat it hoping the glue will soften and stick to the cotton cloth?

Hi I just removed a patch from a jersey that was ironed on. I removed it by laying a cloth over it and then using an iron, it did the trick by softening the glue and allowing me to pull it off but it left some glue residue and some stains from the patch. I think the stains is just color on the layer of glue residue. Any tips on how to remove this residue? Should I put a cloth down on it and heat it hoping the glue will soften and stick to the cotton cloth?

use acetone.

If you keep using iron, the glue will melt. Think about the glue stick for a glue gun. Reason why the glue stick melt is because of heat. The more you heat the area, the more glue that will melt into the jersey.

Best way is to use acetone with a cloth to rub it. But acetone smells like hell.

use acetone.

If you keep using iron, the glue will melt. Think about the glue stick for a glue gun. Reason why the glue stick melt is because of heat. The more you heat the area, the more glue that will melt into the jersey.

Best way is to use acetone with a cloth to rub it. But acetone smells like hell.

Ok, I will try acetone. Should I pick some up from the hardware store or will nail polish remover work as well.

I never used nail polish, as no one ever suggested that before. I only used acetone before and works 90% of the time. You need to be patient though. It might takes two or three application to get it work. Just wash the jersey afterward and you should be fine.

I either used a cloth or a toothbrush to rub it.

I never used nail polish, as no one ever suggested that before. I only used acetone before and works 90% of the time. You need to be patient though. It might takes two or three application to get it work. Just wash the jersey afterward and you should be fine.

I either used a cloth or a toothbrush to rub it.

I will give it a try, I hope the dye's from the patch didn't stain the jersey I'm trying to salvage. I'll pick up some acetone on the way home and report my success/failure later. If this works, this will really help me clean up a few jerseys I've stripped but haven't figured out how to clean the residue and stains from the glues used in the customization.

If I ever have to remove a patch again, should I use acetone instead of an iron to melt the glue or will that cause a huge mess?

I will give it a try, I hope the dye's from the patch didn't stain the jersey I'm trying to salvage. I'll pick up some acetone on the way home and report my success/failure later. If this works, this will really help me clean up a few jerseys I've stripped but haven't figured out how to clean the residue and stains from the glues used in the customization.

If I ever have to remove a patch again, should I use acetone instead of an iron to melt the glue or will that cause a huge mess?

Hey there,

when I try to remove a patch, if the patch isn't completely glue on, then I always used a hairdryer to "melt or loosen" the glue first. Now, there will be residue either way, that's when acetone comes in. One good thing about acetone is it won't bleach the colour of the fabric (not the case on edge though).

One more thing to note: Acetone smells like hell, so you better work in your backyard or garage (make sure you open the garage door)!

You can also try using goof-off. Don't use it on an edge jersey though because it will stain it.

Hey there,

when I try to remove a patch, if the patch isn't completely glue on, then I always used a hairdryer to "melt or loosen" the glue first. Now, there will be residue either way, that's when acetone comes in. One good thing about acetone is it won't bleach the colour of the fabric (not the case on edge though).

One more thing to note: Acetone smells like hell, so you better work in your backyard or garage (make sure you open the garage door)!

Since it is my first time using it, I will pour some in a bowl and dip a tooth brush in it and use it to apply to the area with the glue stains. I'll keep some water close by just in case and work on my jersey on my balcony so there is plenty of fresh air. If this works, I'm going to be able to have a bunch of jerseys customized in the coming weeks.

use acetone.

As a chemistry major, I know acetone is a REALLY great solvent that can remove almost anything. Yes, acetone has a slightly irritating odor, so as it was suggested above, work in an area with adequate ventilation. DO NOT work inside. Also, acetone has a boiling point around room temperature, so your best bet would be to either apply it directly to the glue residue or pour some on a cloth or small towel and then apply it to the glue. Be careful NOT to leave the lid of the acetone bottle or drum open for a long period of time or most of it will evaporate.

I hope this helps and that you are able to successfully able to remove the glue! :thumbsup:

slightly off-topic but acetone also removes screen printed numbers and names correct?

if it ruins the jersey o well i was just gonna remove this crappy screen printed Lindros and put my name and # on the back to use for hockey but if it does the job

so does it? or did i hear wrong?

Question, what setting do you use to iron out marks left by the stitching, and what process do you use? Thanks!

You can also try using goof-off. Don't use it on an edge jersey though because it will stain it.

The acetone is working but it takes several applications and some elbow grease to the glue. The jersey I'm trying to remove the glue residue is a CCM air knit. Also the glue residue is colored from the patch so I need to remove the stain. It seems to be coming off with the glue residue but I might need to spot apply some diluted bleach to fully remove the stained imprints left by the patch. So will goof-off be ok to use on air-knit?

slightly off-topic but acetone also removes screen printed numbers and names correct?

if it ruins the jersey o well i was just gonna remove this crappy screen printed Lindros and put my name and # on the back to use for hockey but if it does the job

Acetone won't damage the jersey, so I would give it a try for removing the screen printed name / numbers. I'm not completely sure it would remove them, but if you do try, make sure you put a decent amount on the name / numbers and try to scrub it off.

Well I guess you could also try applying some heat to the name so that it will get warm and melt, then let it cool and use acetone to get the residue off.

I remember reading on a t-shirt forum that acetone does work on removing some screen printed numbers. I also heard that Stahls also makes a spray on product that causes the screen print to peel off. I'll give it acetone a try with an old soccer jersey this weekend.

Also, I'll try to post before and after pics of my attempt to clean patch glue residue from a Ducks jersey I'm trying to salvage.

I remember reading on a t-shirt forum that acetone does work on removing some screen printed numbers. I also heard that Stahls also makes a spray on product that causes the screen print to peel off. I'll give it acetone a try with an old soccer jersey this weekend.

Also, I'll try to post before and after pics of my attempt to clean patch glue residue from a Ducks jersey I'm trying to salvage.

Guys, let us know if what I suggested works out for you both and how well. Just so that others can know for future reference if they ever want to remove screen printed names/numbers and / or remove patch residue. :thumbsup:

Guys, let us know if what I suggested works out for you both and how well. Just so that others can know for future reference if they ever want to remove screen printed names/numbers and / or remove patch residue. :thumbsup:

I forgot to take before and after pics but I'll report my findings. Acetone works great on some types of glue residue but the type used to attach the patch on my Ducks Air Knit jersey was taking several applications just to remove a little bit. So I went a little stronger and used goof off and man does this stuff cut through glue residue. Just one application and some light scrubbing with a towel and the residue comes off easily. It is the most foul smelling of the stuff I've tried but you can wash the smell out with laundry deterent. My system for removing glue residue is to first try Goo Gone, then try Acetone, and if it still doesn't come off then try Goof Off. As TML fan mentioned, Goof Off makes Edge jerseys run so be careful when using it with a colored jersey.

Later this week, I'll try removing screen printed number from my old hockey rec league jersey.

I forgot to take before and after pics but I'll report my findings. Acetone works great on some types of glue residue but the type used to attach the patch on my Ducks Air Knit jersey was taking several applications just to remove a little bit. So I went a little stronger and used goof off and man does this stuff cut through glue residue. Just one application and some light scrubbing with a towel and the residue comes off easily. It is the most foul smelling of the stuff I've tried but you can wash the smell out with laundry deterent. My system for removing glue residue is to first try Goo Gone, then try Acetone, and if it still doesn't come off then try Goof Off. As TML fan mentioned, Goof Off makes Edge jerseys run so be careful when using it with a colored jersey.

Later this week, I'll try removing screen printed number from my old hockey rec league jersey.

You have to be carefull with goof-off even on white edge jerseys's. It will stain the white and you will see an outline of where the goof-off was.