2010 Free Agency

Well free agency has started and we are off to a decent start with a few surprising moves already.

Martin Biron to the Rangers for 2 years - 1.75 million

Dan Paille resigns with Boston for 2 years - 2.15 million

Sergei Gonchar signs with Ottawa for 3 years - 16.5 million

Alex Tanguay signs with Calgary for 1 year - 1.7 million

Zbynek Michalek signs with Pittsburgh for 5 years - 20 million

Alex Auld signs with Montreal for 1 year - 1 million

Colby Armstrong signs with Toronto 3 years - 9 million

Antero Nittymaki signs with San Jose 2 years - 4 million

Joel Perrault signs with Vancouver 1 year - 510k

Sean O'Donnell signs with Philadelphia 1 year - 1 million

Manny Malhotra signs with Vancouver 3 years - 7.5 million

Derek Morris resigns with Phoenix 4 years - 11 million

Jody Shelley signs with Philadelphia 3 years - 3.3 million

Dan Ellis signs with Tampa Bay 2 years - 3 million

Derek Boogarard signs with Rangers 4 years - 6.5 million

Paul Martin signs with Pittsburgh 5 years - 25 million

Toni Lydman signs with Anaheim 3 years - 9 million

Ray Whitney signs with Phoenix 2 years - 6 million

Curtis Sanford resigns with Montreal 1 year - 550k

Rangers sign Biron @ $1.75 mill over 2 years ...

:D

:)

:mellow:

:blink:

:o

:(

:angry:

:noway:

Rangers sign Boogaard @ $6.5 mill over 4 years ...

Henrik Tallinder signs with New Jersey for 4 years - 13.5 million

Kurtis Foster signs with Edmonton for 2 years - 3.6 million

Chris Mason signs with Atlanta for 2 years - 3.7 million

Olli Jokinen signs with Calgary for 2 years - 6 million

Anton Volchenkov signs with New Jersey 6 years - 25.5 million

Dan Hamhuis signs with Vancouver 6 years - 27 million

Martin St Louis signs an extention with Tampa 4 years - 22.5 million

Jeff Tambellini signs wtih Vancouver 1 year - terms n/a

Saku Koivu resigns with Anaheim 2 years - 5 million

Adam Burish signs with Dallas 2 years - 2.3 million

Matt Cullen signs with Minnesota 3 years - 10.5 million

Andrew Raycroft Dallas 2 years - terms n/a

Jeremy Reich Boston 1 year - terms n/a

Eric Nystrom Minnesota 3 years - 4.2 million

Johan Hedberg New Jersey 1 year - 1.5 million

Jordan Leopold Buffalo 3 years - 9+ million (terms are estimates)

The Caps are edging closer to getting me to a full blown boycott. :noway:

They have so many FA's this year it's going to be really difficult for them to resign close to all of them. Wash still has roughly $16 million in cap space. But what really hurts is that Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin comprise $21 million of cap space. Ouch.

They have so many FA's this year it's going to be really difficult for them to resign close to all of them. Wash still has roughly $16 million in cap space. But what really hurts is that Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin comprise $21 million of cap space. Ouch.

Well GMGM is no Shero, but cap space isn't the problem here.

The Caps are letting go most of their UFAs though, none of them really bring anything near worthy of what their cap hit would be. Of the RFAs, the only ones that are priority signings are Eric Fehr and Jeff Schultz, and neither are going to get more than 3 million a season. Assuming those two get a decent raise in the 2-3 million range, that leaves about anywhere from 6-8 million in cap space for a 2nd line center and a top 4 d-man, both of which were attainable given the market prices today. There is definitely room for at least one of those two, with the market being so weak this year it makes absolutely no sense to do nothing when you are trying to pass yourself off as a competitive team.

What every Caps fan is dreading is that Tomas Fleischmann is due for a healthy raise because of his RS numbers, even though he was so useless in the playoffs that he got healthy scratched in game 7 for Scott Walker. No Caps fan wants to see him in a Caps jersey again, but then Boudreau loves him more than he loves his own kids.

You have to love it when 2 of your obsolete jerseys become current again

(Tanguay and Jokinen)

I have to think that Sutter talked to Olli before he traded him to NYR, Cause he had this big media displace of being upset and wanting to finish his career in Calgary....With how upset he was i would of never guessed he'd sign as a UFA with them for less money.

You have to love it when 2 of your obsolete jerseys become current again

(Tanguay and Jokinen)

I'm just glad Jokinen is no longer a Ranger. :P

Well GMGM is no Shero, but cap space isn't the problem here.

The Caps are letting go most of their UFAs though, none of them really bring anything near worthy of what their cap hit would be. Of the RFAs, the only ones that are priority signings are Eric Fehr and Jeff Schultz, and neither are going to get more than 3 million a season. Assuming those two get a decent raise in the 2-3 million range, that leaves about anywhere from 6-8 million in cap space for a 2nd line center and a top 4 d-man, both of which were attainable given the market prices today. There is definitely room for at least one of those two, with the market being so weak this year it makes absolutely no sense to do nothing when you are trying to pass yourself off as a competitive team.

What every Caps fan is dreading is that Tomas Fleischmann is due for a healthy raise because of his RS numbers, even though he was so useless in the playoffs that he got healthy scratched in game 7 for Scott Walker. No Caps fan wants to see him in a Caps jersey again, but then Boudreau loves him more than he loves his own kids.

Washington had such a great season last year that I'm not surprised all their FAs are asking for raises. I agree with your point about cap space being an issue. It's not, really. It's just a matter like you said of who Washington wants to bring back. They'll definitely bring some guys back. The question for me about them is in goal. Varlamov has 1 year left on his contract (entry level) for 2010-2011 and if he has another decent season he'll want more than the $800,000 he is currently making, especially when Fleury and Brodeur are making $5 million a year. Who knows, maybe they will take a shot at Nabokov or Turco.

Zherdev signs with the Flyers.

Zherdev signs with the Flyers.

Philly is $1.4 million OVER the cap with that signing. I would believe a trade is looming unless the Flyers management wants to pay for being over $59.4 million in team salary. They got Zherdev at a great price and that was a decent signing by Holmgren. I'm anxious to see who's going to be gone to resolve the cap issue.

• 2 weeks later...

There's still some decent players out there. To name a few: Ponikarovsky, Guerin, John Madden, Brendan Morrison, Raffi Torres, etc. I'm just a little surprised why the activity has slown down since the FA period began.

• 3 weeks later...

Reports are saying Selanne will return to the Ducks for another year, and he might be bringing Kariya with him to Anaheim.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329733

Reports are saying Selanne will return to the Ducks for another year, and he might be bringing Kariya with him to Anaheim.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329733

That would be something, wouldn't it? A Ducks reunion with Kariya AND Selanne. :thumbsup:

Modano signs for 1-year with Detroit. Looks like they're the 40 and over team now. Might as well call Gordie Howe out of retirement. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

It is finally over. Ilya Kovalchuk is a Devil. 15 years - $100 million. The catch was to allow the deal, there had to be an agreement on an amendment to the CBA covering long term deals. Kovalchuk and the other contracts that were signed the past couple of years are being grandfathered in.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=5528523

At least I know getting all of Kovalchuk's Devils jerseys will be really simple since they don't do alternates and haven't changed their uniform in quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

That would be something, wouldn't it? A Ducks reunion with Kariya AND Selanne. :thumbsup:

Modano signs for 1-year with Detroit. Looks like they're the 40 and over team now. Might as well call Gordie Howe out of retirement. :lol:

I never get tired of people calling the Wings too old - they've been "too old" since 2002. I'll take too old if I get at least two cups every eight years.

I never get tired of people calling the Wings too old - they've been "too old" since 2002. I'll take too old if I get at least two cups every eight years.

I'll just be happy when the Sabres finally win their 1st.

I know, man. I was just joking. Detroit is good year in and year out. It's their combination of skill, veteran leadership, young talent, and great coaching, in my opinion. I do respect the Wings and their fans. Though I wish they would get a new arena because The Joe is getting up there in age.

I'll just be happy when the Sabres finally win their 1st.

I hear you. How about a championship for Buffalo in any sport? I feel sorry for the Bills every year and the Sabres too. Buffalo sports fans LOVE their team and they deserve nothing but winning and a championship. They get the right owners who know what they are doing and they will turn it around. Unfortunately, I can't promise when that will be.