Retired Players

mmajeski06

I want to get a Ken Daneyko green and red throwback. I noticed over at the NHL Shop that they do not allow you to get customized jerseys of any retired player if the jersey is of the team they retired with. I was wondering why this is the case.

Also, does IceJerseys have a similar policy?

I ordered a Linden Canucks jerseys off of IceJerseys, so I don't think they do. You don't want to order from NHLshop anyway, their customization is pretty awful.

From the responses I've seen about NHLShop's customization, I would stay clear of them. I don't think IceJersey would have a problem with customizing a jersey with a retired player's name and number.

Also JohnnyOnTheSpot, how did the Linden turn out?

From the responses I've seen about NHLShop's customization, I would stay clear of them. I don't think IceJersey would have a problem with customizing a jersey with a retired player's name and number.

Pretty awesome, check it out:

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/JohnnyOnTheSpot_album/My%20Collection/HPIM1558.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/JohnnyOnTheSpot_album/My%20Collection/HPIM1559.jpg

JohnnyOnTheSpot, although it looks great, Trevor Linden never wore the Canucks current Reebok EDGE third jersey.

However, is the name bar of the same "Premier/EDGE" styled material?

Yeah, I've experienced the greatness :noway: that is NHL.com customization. I was just wondering more why they have that policy in the first place.

Yeah, I've experienced the greatness :noway: that is NHL.com customization. I was just wondering more why they have that policy in the first place.

So you don't put a retired player on a current jersey?

To each his own I guess...

So you don't put a retired player on a current jersey?

To each his own I guess...

Some people don't care so much about that, I have a friend who has Orr on a current Bruins jersey...but as you said, to each his own.

But in my case it is one of the CCM Green and Red Throwbacks. Putting Daneyko on that would make sense.

I agree with devilsfan26, I think its all about licensing.

My guess is that an active player, as part of the NHLPA, agrees that his name and likeness can be used by the NHL/NHLPA for marketing purposes as well as on retail products without receiving additional compensation. However, once a player retires, then the league would have to pay them to use their name or likeness on products. For instance I don't think Mario got any extra money from the league for Lemieux jerseys sold while he was playing, but now if the NHL sells one pre-customized as Lemieux, he's owed money for that. Once again, just my guess.

I think places like IJ or other customization shops get around this by advertising you can get any name/number on a jersey, but not actively marketing their services as providing jerseys of retired players. Afterall, my name could be Juan Carlos Daneyko and "3" could be my favorite number :D

When getting the vintage Devils be sure to specify if you want the old style numbers that

are correct for the 1992 era, otherwise they will put on the current Devils font.

As for college football jerseys, they don't have names because they are students/amateurs and

cannot receive any money for usage like if they were in the NFLPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered it with ice jerseys today! Took advantage of the 30% off coupon. Came out to $151...can't beat that, and it is ice jerseys quality!

%30 off coupon!!?!!?

Also sent this message along with my order:

I was told on the ice jerseys message board to make sure when ordering the Devils throwback, to specify I want the old style of numbers that are correct for the 1992 era jerseys.

Does this seem clear enough, and IJ will understand what I mean?