My Stanley Cup Vow!

bjd624

I went to a rally, and they were asking Flyers questions, and a dude couldn't name the Legion of Doom. A small part of me died that day.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell if you are going to buy that many jerseys at BOGO why not just pony up a few more dollars and get one worn IN the finals?

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=4718100&catLevel=1&scLevel=0&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=57452&catParentID=57452&scId=57452

Hell if you are going to buy that many jerseys at BOGO why not just pony up a few more dollars and get one worn IN the finals?

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=4718100&catLevel=1&scLevel=0&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=57452&catParentID=57452&scId=57452

Now that's a star! "Throw it to LUKAS". Horrible movie... I would go for the Stanley Cup worn Carter for $3500.00 that seems affordable, right?

Okay - regarding my bandwagon comment - it was a joke. Seriously. It was not pointed at anyone at all.

It was in response to Brilliant's joke about Pens fans. There were a ton of them that came around last year, and a ton of Wings fans the year before. I don't doubt the same would happen for any team (my favorite team included). In this community we have rabid fans of just about every NHL team and frankly that's one of the things I love about this board.

I don't regret making the joke, but I regret not making more clear it was a joke.

bjd624, if you have an issue with me then feel free to PM me directly and we can talk it out. If you think its something serious then I suggest you contact a mod.

To answer the original question, what about Blair Betts? He's a great penalty killer and the top face-off guy for the Flyers in the post-season.

Now that's a star! "Throw it to LUKAS". Horrible movie... I would go for the Stanley Cup worn Carter for $3500.00 that seems affordable, right?

At least Carter's would be clean, he hasn't shown up yet in these finals :/

Okay - regarding my bandwagon comment - it was a joke. Seriously. It was not pointed at anyone at all.

It was in response to Brilliant's joke about Pens fans. There were a ton of them that came around last year, and a ton of Wings fans the year before. I don't doubt the same would happen for any team (my favorite team included). In this community we have rabid fans of just about every NHL team and frankly that's one of the things I love about this board.

I don't regret making the joke, but I regret not making more clear it was a joke.

bjd624, if you have an issue with me then feel free to PM me directly and we can talk it out. If you think its something serious then I suggest you contact a mod.

To answer the original question, what about Blair Betts? He's a great penalty killer and the top face-off guy for the Flyers in the post-season.

Great choice sir! Just picked up the white set 1 jersey from Meigray that Betts wore this year. He has become one of my favorites this season. He is a penalty kill machine every bit as much a Laperriere.

sorry atkenon i just felt that way bro...

if im ponying up that much money i want 8 jerseys to wear proudly... not 1 that im gonna frame and not flaunt...

and at aketon... blair betts thats an idea... BUT!!!... since ive been todl not to put SCF patches on black jerseys i have to get ANOTHER richards jersey... you cant have all the a's and not the c!!!...

this seems up my ally :D

lol btw im off of fakes and slowly but surely will replace any fakes i have in my collection when i see opportunity

http://cgi.ebay.com/DANNY-BRIERE-SAME-ICE-JERSEY-FIGHT-STRAP-/150452791734?cmd=ViewItem&pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item2307af69b6

Well, a dead give away with the Flyers' oranges are if the numbers don't overlap the white on the sleeves and they have a fight strap, it's pretty much face. Also, look at the name/numbers. See how bubbly they are? Fake...it's the material they use.

got it.. kinda like this pronger i got off craigslist for $30 lol!... its orange.. and has the WC patch... lol i bought it sight unseen just being refered to as pronger jersey orange... lol...w/e i got beat outta $35.. ill use it for something... lol

If I had to choose 8...

Richards

Pronger

Timonen

Leino

Giroux

Gagne

Carle

Carter

...I don't think I could limit it to 8...

I would love to add Briere, Betts, and Laperierre...and since it has to be an even number, I'd get Hartnell as well...man, decisions are tough...

I like your list other than Carter, I'm praying he gets traded in the off-season. Replace him with Briere for sure!

I like your list other than Carter, I'm praying he gets traded in the off-season. Replace him with Briere for sure!

If I were a flyers jersey i would hope not....

Jeff Carter is 7 years younger than Briere, has scored 100+ goals over the past 3 seasons

Briere is 7 Million a year for the next 3 years....

I think the money would be much better spent on Carter

Briere is clutch. That alone ices the cake for me. Carter is lazy in his own end and is overly selfish with the puck, to the point where he is more of an offensive liability for killing so many rushes and plays. For a sniper, he mostly shoots high and wide or right in the goalie's chest. I don't know how much you've seen of Carter in the past few years, but this is one player where his stats DO NOT equal his worth. I've watched every game...he's extremely over-rated.

Briere, on the other hand, is an elite play maker who had an off year, then one riddled with injuries. He has like 11 career game tying goals in the playoffs, and I believe 10 game-winners. He has one of the highest shooting percentages of current players, and he steps up his game when he needs to. Carter, on the other hang, has literally been invisible this entire playoff. 5 goals, 2 are empty net.

The only value Carter has to me is what other teams see in him, meaning we could trade him for someone who's actually good. I'm not saying he's a terrible player, he just has not developed yet and is not complete. I don't think he will, either. I had the same arguments about Pitkanen, and I was right.

The big difference there is age, You arent choosing between a 24 year old and a 26 year old....You are choosing between a player with 9 prime years left in his career and another player who has is approaching the sunset on "Prime".

Fair enough, I wouldn't call the organization all that classless, though. That's been beaten to death.

So have the other teams.

I really think it's unfair to call a team like Chicago a bandwagon team. Do you understand what was happening there before 2007? Wirtz was just basically trying to reach China he running the team into the ground so hard. No local television deals, no former stars wanted to be a part of the club and no decent players wanted to play there because of how poorly the situation was being handled. As morbid as it sounds, the best thing to happen to that city was Vic dying. His son Rocky actually cares about the team and proved it by getting the TV deal back and starting to bring back the older guys to the fold. Obviously, nothing brings out the fans like winning but Rocky did more than just draft solid players. He gave the fans a reason to be fans again. I'm positive there are bandwagoners over there too but, for the most part, I'm sure it's made up of the old die-hards who haven't had anything like this to cheer for in almost 20 years.

The bandwagon is pretty full where I am. I have lived in an area with a heavy Chicago influence over the last 5 years, and I have seen more of the Indian head logo this year than I did the last four seasons combined. Most of the "fans" that have recently shown up didn't even know what the team name was, but are actually mostly Bears/Cubs/Sox fans who are now suddenly Hawks fans because every other pro sports team in Chicago are having losing seasons. This time last year you couldn't get a bar in my area to put the SCF on one of the TVs because the Cubs fans insist on watching that s*** team of theirs lose a meaningless game on every TV in the building. I have actually grown to hate the Cubs solely because of their fans, even though my favorite pitcher is a Cub. I can only imagine it's even worse in Chicago proper.

Yes Speaking of bandwagon fans....Chicago

I recall a weekend where the Wolves outsold the Hawks 5 years ago or so.

Yeah IIRC the Wolves pulled in around 12k while the Hawks drew something around 10k. This year was the perfect storm for bandwagoners though because all the teams in the area are beyond awful, especially since the Cubs are awful even with their low standards, which unfortunately means all the douchebags in the area have nowhere to turn but the Hawks bandwagon. The hardcore fans that lived through the Dollar Bill era are great but now are vastly outnumbered by the bandwagoners around here, you should see the horrible fakes that gets worn around here. Sort of the same unfortunate byproduct of success that I have seen with the Caps.

The big difference there is age, You arent choosing between a 24 year old and a 26 year old....You are choosing between a player with 9 prime years left in his career and another player who has is approaching the sunset on "Prime".

Age is important and all, but there are plenty of 30-35 year olds I would take over 20-25 year olds. That's a factor, albeit not a determinative one.