Sewing NHL lettering kit to jersey

ItsBennGreat

I spent a good while searching this forum for a tutorials on sewing your own lettering to a jersey. I am looking for tips and what not. I also tried Google and didn't come up with everything.

I purchased an EDGE jersey and the lettering kit from the NHL store in New York City.

They were going to charge $85 to sew it on instead of heatpressed and I thought that was a little

ridiculous as I can have my mother do it. But she wants to know

if there is a tutorial or any suggestions for it.

Thank you!

There's really no tutorial needed. Just make sure the kit is ironed on straight, then use the zig-zag pattern and GO SLOW. All it takes is practice.

DUDE i want your leclair and palffy all stars!!! lol!

I'll keep you in mind cause I've been thinking of thining things out a bit. I still have more to photograph including an authentic 85 Gretzky all star and an Authentic 81 autographed Messier All Star. I picked that up quite a while ago...It's real and has Steiner LOA papers. At this time its still in a frame at my old place along with a couple more containers of jerseys. Did you like the 87 Kings?

yellow or purple?

are the palffy and leclair authentics...mainly the leclair... im always buying... so if you plan on selling shoot me a pm with sizes, prices and a list :D

UGH thier autographed lol if you send me any info NO AUTOS! lol

Palffy isnt autographed.. LeClairs actually has the wrong number so I got it pretty cheap and I picked up the Autograph at the Flyer's Wives carnival. Both are authentic.

I used to have a problem with autographs too but I enjoy the interaction with the players about the international jerseys. The Kings jersey is pictured in the NHL album.

There's really no tutorial needed. Just make sure the kit is ironed on straight, then use the zig-zag pattern and GO SLOW. All it takes is practice.

So first you iron it on then you sew? Some of the kits mentioned you need an iron that can maintain 350o, so do you just use a standard iron or do you need something more heavy duty?

How do you go about getting the correct placement on the numbers and name? Any tips on how to make sure the placement is correct?

So first you iron it on then you sew? Some of the kits mentioned you need an iron that can maintain 350o, so do you just use a standard iron or do you need something more heavy duty?

How do you go about getting the correct placement on the numbers and name? Any tips on how to make sure the placement is correct?

I just use a regular iron. As far as placement goes I just try to find a game-used jersey to reference from. I put the name on first and then space out the numbers based on where they line up to the name on the game-used jersey.

There is a pdf that gives instructions on how to sew poly-twill, search "how to sew poly-twill" in google and it should come up.

I just use a regular iron. As far as placement goes I just try to find a game-used jersey to reference from. I put the name on first and then space out the numbers based on where they line up to the name on the game-used jersey.There is a pdf that gives instructions on how to sew poly-twill, search "how to sew poly-twill" in google and it should come up.

That helps a lot, here's the link if anyone else wants it How To Sew Poly-Twill

*DEAR FOURM GODS*

I highly recommend this thread be sickey'ed!

This is a VERY usefull converstaion to say the least!

I just printed that PDF. I got kits for my leafs and team canada and now cuz of this tread I know how to sew them on.

Another fine thread from the IJ jersey forums!

*DEAR FOURM GODS*I highly recommend this thread be sickey'ed! This is a VERY usefull converstaion to say the least!I just printed that PDF. I got kits for my leafs and team canada and now cuz of this tread I know how to sew them on.Another fine thread from the IJ jersey forums!

Agreed. Awesome topic that I'm sure many on here had been wondering about. Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks for the reply...my mom is really skilled at the sewing machine but I'll make sure she goes slow too!

I just use a regular iron. As far as placement goes I just try to find a game-used jersey to reference from. I put the name on first and then space out the numbers based on where they line up to the name on the game-used jersey.

There is a pdf that gives instructions on how to sew poly-twill, search "how to sew poly-twill" in google and it should come up.

Hmm I am going to be using a water soluble stabilizer to keep the letters down to sew or maybe some 405 spray that isn't permanent.

That helps a lot, here's the link if anyone else wants it How To Sew Poly-Twill

Thank you for the link! :D I printed it out and will give it to my mom.

I'm also going to keep notes on the steps that my mom and I will use to sew the patches on too and any tools or things that we did too.

Thanks for the reply...my mom is really skilled at the sewing machine but I'll make sure she goes slow too!

Hmm I am going to be using a water soluble stabilizer to keep the letters down to sew or maybe some 405 spray that isn't permanent.

Thank you for the link! :D I printed it out and will give it to my mom.

I'm also going to keep notes on the steps that my mom and I will use to sew the patches on too and any tools or things that we did too.

Good luck sewing the kit on....But as a Flyers' fan, I hope your Stanley Cup patch falls off!! :angry: Just kiddin'

My Collection

Use a very hot iron with a lot of steam but always ALWAYS put a t-shirt over the twill before you iron it on. Also, use as motion in the iron as possible. You don't want to leave it in any one spot for an extended period of time otherwise it'll scorch.

Use a very hot iron with a lot of steam but always ALWAYS put a t-shirt over the twill before you iron it on. Also, use as motion in the iron as possible. You don't want to leave it in any one spot for an extended period of time otherwise it'll scorch.

I'll say quite the opposite - medium heat iron with no steam, too hot and you'll burn the glue which can leave yellow glue marks in between the layers. Best to pick up a teflon sheet from Stahl's if you want to protect the twill when ironing - wax paper is a good alternate but the teflon sheets last years! In terms of sewing - best to use a local seamstress - usually doesn't cost very much. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I recently picked up a Singer sewing machine (Tradition 2250). Before starting on my kits, I want to ask what needle size and needle sharpness is appropriate for ultrafil and EDGE jerseys? The manual recommends size 9-11 and semi-ball point needle (instead of standard sharp needle) for double knits and polyester blends. Maybe one of you pros can help me here.

Good thing I saw this topic, because I have an Isles blank arriving soon with a lettering kit to be sewn on the jersey. Although I'm taking the jersey to be sewn by a professional, not going to sew it myself because I can't do it.

So which one goes first? Do you iron the numbers into the jersey first and then sew? Or the other way?