What do you guys do with fakes?

JohnnyOnTheSpot

Just posting in the "is it good or not" thread got me angry, thinking about being beat by fakes. I'm currently sitting on 5 that I either got beat on eBay, or was given as a gift. They include:

-Oilers Paul Coffey

-Canucks Trevor Linden 1994 Cup Jersey

-Flyers Bernie Parent

-Rangers Scott Gomez

-Nordiques Forsberg

I've become pretty impossible to trick with Edges, as they're extremely obvious. The Gomez was a gift, and a terrible one at that because I hate the Rangers. The Coffey was eBay, before I knew they were making them fake, and the same with the Linden. The Nordiques was also an eBay purchase, but I still don't understand where it came from because it was before they were making knock-offs of them and it looks 90x better than any knock off I've seen.

I keep up to date with all of the knock-off sites to limit my problems, even though it concerns me they're making so many older jerseys now. My questions is, what do you do when you get beat? The eBay ones are all too old to do anything about. I'd re-sell them on eBay, but two problems arise:

1) If I list them as fake, eBay will remove them and I might get kicked off

2) I refuse to deceive anyone, so I'd have to list them as fake

I just want to get rid of them, if I can get back the amount I paid for them to someone who doesn't care, great, but seriously, how do you guys purge your collections of these abominations? Looking at them makes me angry.

Well you could use it to play hockey in (if you play). I own a couple fakes that I bought when I had NO IDEA the jerseys themselves were fake. I took all the tags off and current am thinking about donating them to charity with no tax write off. That way, I won't be trying to resell them (knowing that they are fake), which is technically against the law, and I am sure whoever receives the jerseys will be happy to own an NHL jersey, regardless if it's authentic.

Just posting in the "is it good or not" thread got me angry, thinking about being beat by fakes. I'm currently sitting on 5 that I either got beat on eBay, or was given as a gift. They include:-Oilers Paul Coffey-Canucks Trevor Linden 1994 Cup Jersey-Flyers Bernie Parent-Rangers Scott Gomez -Nordiques ForsbergI've become pretty impossible to trick with Edges, as they're extremely obvious. The Gomez was a gift, and a terrible one at that because I hate the Rangers. The Coffey was eBay, before I knew they were making them fake, and the same with the Linden. The Nordiques was also an eBay purchase, but I still don't understand where it came from because it was before they were making knock-offs of them and it looks 90x better than any knock off I've seen.I keep up to date with all of the knock-off sites to limit my problems, even though it concerns me they're making so many older jerseys now. My questions is, what do you do when you get beat? The eBay ones are all too old to do anything about. I'd re-sell them on eBay, but two problems arise:1) If I list them as fake, eBay will remove them and I might get kicked off2) I refuse to deceive anyone, so I'd have to list them as fakeI just want to get rid of them, if I can get back the amount I paid for them to someone who doesn't care, great, but seriously, how do you guys purge your collections of these abominations? Looking at them makes me angry.

I'm in the same boat. Bought or was given five (and one MLB) before I really knew what was going on. Two I am using to practice my stripping/sewing skills. The other four I have no idea what to do with, just would like to get my money back out of them if possible. I have a Pens Winter Classic Staal, Pens Lemieux with Badger Bob patch, and a USA White (royal blue instead of the correct navy) Orpik, and a Red Sox Ortiz. Is there a way to word the auction without getting kicked of ebay while still being truthful about what the jersey is? Love to hear any suggestions to clean out my closet.

I'm also interested in this....would some bold wording like

THESE ARE ORIGINALLY FROM CHINA.....NOT MADE IN CANADA LIKE THE TAG CLAIMS..

would that work?

I'm also interested in this....would some bold wording likeTHESE ARE ORIGINALLY FROM CHINA.....NOT MADE IN CANADA LIKE THE TAG CLAIMS..would that work?

I like that idea, let's the buyer know what they are getting. Maybe use the words replica or recreation so the buyer doesn't think they are getting a true authentic.

I have a Giroux Winter Classic size 54. I paid 80. Yours for 60 plus shipping. The seller had fake pictures of a real jersey, and then disappeared after I complained.

To all the collectors, fans, or just ordinarily people who somehow got your hands on fakes:

I truly understand how you would feel when you purchased or received as a gift of fake jersey, especially when you used your own hard earned money to purchase a jersey and later found out it was a knockoff. But I just want to make one simple point:

When I started my post about fake Edges, I stated I purchased the jersey as well. $40 for a gamble of an authentic, why not? It turned out to be a fake. Did it ever come across of my mind to flip it on eBay or some other public sites to sell it and try and get my money back? Honestly, YES, but I didn't do it. That jersey is still sitting in my basement.

I just want all people to just sit back and think. If you made a mistake of buying a fake, why don't you just suck it up, admit and learn from that mistake, instead of trying to flip it on eBay or somewhere else trying to get back what you lose by taking other people's hard earn money? If you got it as a gift, why not just let it sit, or maybe even donate it, instead of trying to make money off it? That's the main reason why I started the spotting fake jersey post in the first place, to educate people the differences between authentics and fakes, to prevent people from making that same mistake again.

Collecting authentic jerseys nowadays is no different than collecting game used jerseys. You need to do your homework. Back in the days when I started collecting, it was easy to tell the difference between replica and authentics. Now, it is telling the differences between "authentic" authentics and "fake" authentic.

Sadly, Short of wearing them for some pickup Hockey, pawning them off on another poor soul to brake even or wearing them as a fall coat, you can, IMO.

put them in a nice pile.

poor some lighter fluid on them.

dance around them like a wild Indian.

Just follow my three simple steps to liberation.

I think its the best thing for you, me and everyone else in the hobby. :thumbsup:

Sadly, Short of Wearing them for Pickup Hockey, Pawning them off on another poor soul to brake even or wearing them as a fall coat, you can, IMO.

put them in a nice pile.

poor some lighter fluid on them.

dance around them like a wild Indian.

Just follow my three simple steps to liberation.

I think its the best thing for you, me and everyone else in the hobby. :thumbsup:

Heh, good call.

I've had two fake hockey jerseys. One was stripped just so I could get some practice at it. I had planned on cutting it up to use as nameplate material, but the color was off. The second was given to a friend with who asked to have it even knowing it was a fake - he's a cop and when he works off duty security he likes loose fitting jerseys because they cover his holster more naturally.

Before I got into collecting hockey jerseys, I ended up with some fake NFL jerseys - some bought, some given to me as gifts. Now that I know they are fake they are used for wearing when I'm doing yard work or painting.

As for those looking to re-sell fakes, it's a slippery moral slope. If you're prepared to be honest and sell them for a loss, it could turn out okay. Don't use the word "authentic" at all and if you can mention it's a knockoff.

To me, reselling them is too risky and I would feel guilty doing it because like you said Johnny, if ebay or someone else finds out it is a fake, you might get kicked off or some other trouble may arise. I just don't think it's morally right to try and purposely sell a counterfeit item for a profit when you know it's not legitimate. According to the law, it's fraud. I don't know the odds of being caught, but it's kinda risky. Now if you are going to sell it to someone who knows they are getting a fake and they actually want it, then I think that's a little different. But to try and fool someone into buying an illegitimate piece of apparel, that's wrong, in my opinion.

To me, reselling them is too risky and I would feel guilty doing it because like you said Johnny, if ebay or someone else finds out it is a fake, you might get kicked off or some other trouble may arise. I just don't think it's morally right to try and purposely sell a counterfeit item for a profit when you know it's not legitimate. According to the law, it's fraud. I don't know the odds of being caught, but it's kinda risky. Now if you are going to sell it to someone who knows they are getting a fake and they actually want it, then I think that's a little different. But to try and fool someone into buying an illegitimate piece of apparel, that's wrong, in my opinion.

That bolded section is my whole problem. I refuse to do that.

I sold a few fakes on eBay but i listed them with a bunch of crappy basketball and football jerseys. In my auction i listed i get my stock from thrift stores and can not vouch for the authenticity on any of them.

:D

well i bought both the fors and coffey of johnny :D..

nice! whens the camp fire!?! ill bring the smores!. :lol:

The coffeys ACTUALLY smell like coffee when you burn them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a fake Devils Parise from Ebay thinking I was getting a good deal. Man, this thing ended up being terrible...it fit me more like a long sleeve shirt than a jersey. I was all set to send it back and report the seller to ebay, but then the seller got deleted, so I was pretty much stuck with it.

Luckily for me, my girlfriend is a big Parise fan, so she happily accepted it, since she didn't care if it was real or not and it fit her much better...so it wasn't a total waste.

So fake jerseys...give them to your girlfriend if they happen to like that particular player, they probably won't care. :thumbsup:

Edited by mmajeski06

So it's okay to sell fake jerseys on eBay as long as you don't try to pass them off as real? I have a fake Crosby I need to get rid of. ):

So it's okay to sell fake jerseys on eBay as long as you don't try to pass them off as real? I have a fake Crosby I need to get rid of. ):

Just burn it. :lol: Just joking.

The only problem I have with trying to sell fake jerseys on ebay is the following. If one lists their jersey as fake, some buyer, or ebay, or whomever, may report it to ebay, or ebay itself may see that you are listing counterfeit merchandise. As a result, they may suspend the seller's account. And I don't know how they would treat one trying to sell a fake jersey.

If that doesn't phase you, then go for it and sell it. I previously expressed my views on this subject earlier in this thread, but I plan on giving my fakes to people who don't care they are fake or I plan on donating them to charity. Before donating, I cut the tags off, etc to make sure it's not visible that they are fakes. That way I figure someone who REALLY wants a jersey will get one and chances are they won't know it's fake. They will just be pleased they have a jersey in their hands. B)