Has anyone tried to make their own kits?

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I have no idea if this is feasible, but has anyone on here tried to make their own number kits by buying twill and cutting them themselves? Just curious, seems like it might be an idea to try at some point.

Thanks for the reply. I literally know nothing about the process so excuse any ignorance, but can it be cut by hand?

Oh, ok. Have you every tried it?

Vintageminnesota never replied to my e-mail, I asked them a few questions about the kits...I'm still hoping to hear back from them. You've had experience with them? Also, where would I go to get the twill? Haha I'm done my first year of law school and bored out of my mind so I need a project this summer, and this is looking like it may be it.

Oh, that's awesome. I'm going to PM you so we don't clog up the board, if you don't mind.

Copied from the PM to Johnny:

I cut the twill with scissors and carpet knives/ruler always beginnig with the smallest (top) layer when I make multi-color numbers and letters. Then iron it onto the next color sheet and cut it again leaving an outline. It's just simple tailoring work, nothing really special.

Copied from the PM to Johnny:

I cut the twill with scissors and carpet knives/ruler always beginnig with the smallest (top) layer when I make multi-color numbers and letters. Then iron it onto the next color sheet and cut it again leaving an outline. It's just simple tailoring work, nothing really special.

Do you print out the letters/numbers on a piece of paper first and then trace it onto the twill or just print it straight on the twill? Also how do you get the sizes of the letters/numbers exact?

I make cardboard stencil/templates and trace them onto the twill. I always try to get photo copies of lettering on gamers. JeffB has quite a few jersey letterings I could need but he wouldn't make any copies for me. I asked him about that long time ago

i've made a few one off names/numbers for myself.

mostly i've just eyeballed pics of game worn jerseys from either drop the pucks, or some of the online auction sites.

drop the pucks

auction sites

Also, if you are on facebook there is a group called DIY Hockey Sweater/ Jersey Army that may be of some help, and some website called Uniwatch.

you might be able to find the right or similar fonts online for the right font for the jersey, but might be problems getting font to print out big enough for the back number(s). the program posteriza or something similar might work.

i also have made up cardboard templates for logo, names, and numbers. printed out or drew on paper and just glue sticked the paper to some thin cardboard - pop boxes, old dutch chip boxes, cereal boxes, etc.

made the name and number for a flyer's clarke jersey and a blues liut jersey by just eyeballing photos and trying to reproduce. proportions aren't perfect by any means, but look alright.

my webshots

I make cardboard stencil/templates and trace them onto the twill. I always try to get photo copies of lettering on gamers. JeffB has quite a few jersey letterings I could need but he wouldn't make any copies for me. I asked him about that long time ago