Your Feelings on Reproduction Patches

great1

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any reproduction patches on your jerseys?

• No... original patches only
    • Yes... but only if the original was never made for purchase or too hard to find
    • I don't like patches

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on reproduction patches. Personally I don't have a problem with them if they look very close to the original and I can't find the original.

As long as it looks good and is a good price I couldn't care less if the patch is an original or reproduction. If it matches it's good enough to go on my jerseys.

Depends on the situation. Reproduction patch on original jersey, not a chance. Reproduction patch on reproduction jersey, if its a good reproduction, yes.

If you can't get an original patch at all and the reproduction is the same size and accurately resembles the original, then I would get it and put it on a replica jersey, but not an authentic. But then again maybe I value authentics more than most here since almost my entire collection is replicas.

I had similar conundrums in the past year. I wanted an IIHF patch for my Parise WJC jerey that I just got back from being customized, but all I could find were the reproductions that didn't have the finished edge on it. I decided I'd rather have it missing the patch than have the inaccurate reproduction. It also helped my decision that the patch goes on the bottom of the back, so it doesn't really take much away from the jersey if it's not there in my opinion.

I also wanted one of the JM patches the Devils wore to honor John McMullen, since he was the owner that brought the team to his home state. These were never for sale so I bought a reproduction on ebay. It was very accurate, except that it is 3 inches in diamater instead of 2.5, so I didn't bother having it put on.

Depends on the situation. Reproduction patch on original jersey, not a chance. Reproduction patch on reproduction jersey, if its a good reproduction, yes.

Are you going to take the finals patch off that Leetch you bought? I ask because it is a reproduction patch and is bigger then the one that was used on those jerseys.

if the patch looks roughly the same as the original then I have no problem using it.

There are so many patches that were never made for retail so in that case if it wasn't made, I have no problems going for a high quality replica. If it was made for retail, then I would definitely rather wait it out and try to find an original.

For the patches I am seeking it is difficult to find their exact versions - 1990 All-Star Game patch (Pittsburgh), 1991 and 1992 Cup patches. So I would settle for reproductions of those patches because chances are that I am not going to find an original. However, if I wanted to buy a Winter Classic patch I would seek for the real thing because they are attainable and not hard to find.

So to me it depends on the patch and how difficult it is to find. If difficult / impossible then I'll accept a reproduction. If not hard to find, I will seek the real thing.

Besides, outside of jersey / patch collectors, other people won't know if the patch is real or a reproduction. So it really doesn't bother me that much if I have a reproduction patch.

I picked up both Avs cup patches last night, and they're not exactly what was game-worn but they're exactly what places like SportsK and other legit patch sellers have, so I figure that's as good as I'll get and I'll be using both on authentic jerseys.

I feel that some collectors go overboard with the patch debate. For me it is very hard to find legit patches because a lot of them are not always made available to the public. That's why I was very lucky to find a National Emblem Canucks ASG shoulder patch, and was lucky to have the opportunity to go to the Rangers Bathgate/Howell night and get a patch from the game. Also, my Graves night patch is from a gamer so it is legit, but it is very hard to find these patches, so a decent reproduction that looks great will be fine. If it is not perfect, because nothing is ever perfect, but close enough why not? Even a repro patch increases the value rather than a fake patch...

Are you going to take the finals patch off that Leetch you bought? I ask because it is a reproduction patch and is bigger then the one that was used on those jerseys.

Really its a reproduction? I bought it thinking it was an original. I retract previous statements. If its a good reproduction then yes.

It comes down to whether I am able to get an original patch for a reasonable price. If not, then I would consider a reproduction only if I have a tough time picking out any errors in the reproduction patch. Then you can run into situations like the Caps 35 Seasons patch, where I was lucky enough that someone in DC picked up a couple for me, but I plan on putting it on an authentic retail EDGE 1.0 jersey, even though most of the players wore 2.0s. The only one who wore a 1.0 jersey for the Caps was that worthless douchebag Mike Green, who I never want to see in a Caps jersey again, so in this case it's an authentic patch on a jersey that isn't completely authentic.

Really its a reproduction? I bought it thinking it was an original. I retract previous statements. If its a good reproduction then yes.

Tyler - here's some research I did on the '94 Cup Patch basically I don't think the patches worn on the ice were ever available for resale. Be sure to check out Brilliant's collection for a pic from a Rangers GI from 1994 with the patch.

Back to the main topic - I'm all for reproduction patches but I cannot stand fake patches. For me there's a big difference. To me a reproduction patch is one made with care and an attention to detail. Fake patches like fake jerseys are just a money grab and usually have horrible quality/detail.