Game worn jersey questions

Curry1fan

I was walking around the arena during an AHL Penguins game tonight (last one of the season WAAAAHHHHHH) with my friend and she noticed that some of the people were wearing game worn jerseys to the game. The people had won them in recent jersey auctions we've had this season. My friend was asking me why so many people were wearing their gamers. I just shrugged and said it was because they wanted to and I have worn the two game worns in my collection. She said it brings down the value of the jersey over time if people wear them.

Now I have heard some things about the value of game worn jerseys depreciating and what have you. One of the things I've heard was autographing a gamer on anywhere but the fight strap brings down the value. However, I must say that this is the first time I have heard of a jersey depreciating because people wear it. I do not have the money to frame and display my jerseys and since I don't have my own place yet, I can't get a jersey room or anything where I can just show off my collection so my thought is of course I will wear them to games even if the one I pick is a game worn.

So my questions are:

Is it true that if you wear a game worn jersey, it's not going to be as valuable as it was when you bought it?

And also, do you think collectors over all frown on the wearing of a gamer? From what I read here, it doesn't seem that way...though I'm interested to hear any opinions on it.

This may be only my opinion, but a jersey is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay, I dont think wearing it would bring down the value. as long as there arent any stains on them since they've been worn.

however, I am pretty confident that the value of my Game Worn Cammalleri skates have depreciated because I wear them. They are $650 skates in the store, so i guess that the skates depreciated in value since Cammalleri wore them too,

Short of you telling the buyer that you wore it to X amount of games, how would they even know? Its not like every single jersey is photo-matched. Also, even if the jersey in question just so happens to be photo-matched, how can anyone know if the subsequent random mark on the jersey isn't just put there later on in the game after the initial photo was taken?

In my opinion, theres no way to know if you wear it to a game short of some guy spilling their nachos all over your jersey. But because that risk exists, thats why you should never wear your gamers :thumbsup:

My thoughts on the subject....It's really nice having a game worn jersey in a collection but as for the value of AHL jerseys appreciating to the point it becomes an investment??? Unless you happen to pick up the next surprise superstar's shirt for a couple hundred bucks, chances are its not happening. Most times you can get a gamer at auction for less than it would cost to buy an authentic (if you can find one), even a replica, have it numbered (cost upwards of $75.00)and shipped to you. I'm not saying they wont add value... I am sure a Ryan Miller Rochester Americans gamer is worth much more now than five-ten years ago, but the average AHL player who maybe gets a call up every once in a while is not a great investment. In Philly, when the Phantoms were in town, they held specialty jersey auctions all the time and for some reason Neil Little, the goalie was a fan favorite. One fan in particular would bid crazy numbers for his jerseys up to a thousand dollars or so...Of course the money went to charity most times but this proves the value of a jersey is only as much as someone will pay ...Wear your jerseys, This is a hobby, Its whats being a hockey fan is all about, unless you have a Lemieux Baby Pens!!!! Then lock that sucker away in a safe somewhere.

I guess it all comes down to why you buy game worns.

If you buy them as an investment, don't wear them. Something bad (mustard stains, etc) could happen.

If you buy them to enjoy them, then wear them and enjoy them. Granted, the ones I own are "only" worth a couple hundred bucks. If I had a really expensive one I might only wear it around the house or something.

To each his (or her) own.

I wouldn't wear mine to games, but I wear them out and around the house. I would never wear one of my NHL gamers either, I would only wear AHL's out of the house.

I don't think that wearing a jersey negatively affects the value, except in two circumstances.

1) Adding wear, whether by wearing it during pickup hockey, spilling mustard on it, or washing it excessively

2) Removing wear, whether by cutting out the fight strap to wear, removing patches, or having it dry cleaned

Like Nathan said, it won't really make a big difference unless you wearing it adds excessive wear or non-hockey stains.

I've heard though that WBS jerseys in general are ridiculously overpriced by the team such that they will "depreciate" in price the moment you buy them.

I don't think that wearing a jersey negatively affects the value, except in two circumstances.

1) Adding wear, whether by wearing it during pickup hockey, spilling mustard on it, or washing it excessively

2) Removing wear, whether by cutting out the fight strap to wear, removing patches, or having it dry cleaned

I completely agree with this and wear my jerseys all the time. I'm not nearly as rough on them as actual game action, so I doubt I'm ever going to affect one in any way, except for the time I dropped a piece of sausage from a slice of pizza and got pizza sauce on my jersey. I called it "a blood stain" and left it there. :thumbsup:

except for the time I dropped a piece of sausage from a slice of pizza and got pizza sauce on my jersey. I called it "a blood stain" and left it there. :thumbsup:

You told me that was actual Lemieux blood on that jersey!! :angry:

:lol:

• 3 years later...

I just started getting into this hobby after having only replicas and the way I feel about it is that I wouldn't wear a jersey I paid upwards of $600 on. I have purchased some blanks that I will get customized that will ultimately cost me $160-190 total and I have no problem wearing them out and about. I've also been eyeing up some obscure flyers jerseys that would be $300ish and I would not mind wearing them out either. If I bought a game worn Briere for $1250 though, it would be a totally different story, lol.

I never wear mine. But, thats not to say the guy before me didn't. I may ask that question before I make the decision to buy. Of course, the person could not tell the truth and I may never know. The only way to be sure a jersey is never worn is to be the only owner of it.

To me, I have to protect the jerseys integrity. I wont get into all of the preserving history talk, but that is just the way I feel. Everyone has a different opinion of what is right and wrong. Just be up front with the buyer and disclose the fact you have worn it if you ever decide to sell.

Remember, a jersey is a shirt that went through hell on ice. It was hit with pucks, had stick blades drug across it, stepped on with razor sharp skates ... normal wear isn't going to do anything to it. If you choose to wear it, fine, just use a little bit of sense and the wear put their from game use will remain without adding additional marks. If you plan on getting into fights in the stands, wear another shirt.

Ill be wearing my Paul Kariya to Nashville this year. Nothing Im gonna do that will affect the jersey and I wont even think twice about it. I dont get this stuff to keep it in the closet all the time.

I dont plan on wearing my Hamonic, Smolinski, or Streit gamers out, but all of my others are fair game. Im old enough to realize what will and what will not ruin a jersey, but I dont want to risk my more expensive/better players jerseys. Luckily for me, I stocked up on Isles 2.0s when they were cheap, so I usually wear those. That being said, I also dont think I'd be selling any of my Isles gamers soon. Im happy where I am at and it's not like the Isles have any value

I dont get this stuff to keep it in the closet all the time.

This. I've only one gamer, but I definitely wear it to games. If I ever had something rare and overly expensive, I'd probably frame it, but who gives two craps about an Alex Picard sweater that I think already had post-game stains on it when I got it?

I buy hockey sweaters because I enjoy wearing them to games.

I buy hockey sweaters because I enjoy wearing them to games.

Just to games? I wear them out as much as is socially (and climate) appropriate

Just to games? I wear them out as much as is socially (and climate) appropriate

Last winter, most of my social life involved going to games at the local D3 college on weekend nights with friends. So yknow. As is socially appropriate. :thumbsup:

My only advice is be super careful at games. All I own is reps, and I was wearing my blank Victoria Royals to a Royals game, being fairly careful, guy behind me drenches me with beer. No matter how careful you are in a gamer, theres still a chance it happens.

Agreed. For me, I would NEVER wear my gamers because I don't want to risk getting any marks or stains on it. Because that would bring down the value of the jersey. However, I would wear authentic/team issued jerseys or replica jerseys just because they're not worth as much as a gamer.

GAME WORN MILLIONAIRES BIEKSA, game 2 of 2013 stanley cup playoffs. i call it, the BAD LUCK jersey

I remember wearing my millionaires replica jersey to games and every time i wore it, the Canucks lost, but every time i wore my replica WHITE canucks jersey to a game, they won. that's MY BAD LUCK JERSEY.

My bad luck jersey is my 2012 ASG Tavares jersey. The Isles were outscored 12-3 when I wore the jersey (7-0 loss to Philly, 5-3 loss to Ottawa). Philly fans -- Ill wear it every game for $5 per game

My bad luck jersey is my 2012 ASG Tavares jersey. The Isles were outscored 12-3 when I wore the jersey (7-0 loss to Philly, 5-3 loss to Ottawa).

How do you know that's not actually your GOOD luck jersey? :thumbsup: