Jersey Attribute Reference

HockeyMusic

I just came across a video of the 1988 game between Detroit and LA, when Gretzky made his debut with the Kings. I mentioned in the 'it arrived today' thread if anyone knew if Gretzky indeed had a double CCM jersey when he debuted. Well according to the following screen capture from the game, he did indeed

GretzkyKingsDebut.jpg

Also I thought it would be a good idea to pin this and we can post references either through game photos, media guides, or other sources for specific jersey attributes such as this.

I just came across a video of the 1988 game between Detroit and LA, when Gretzky made his debut with the Kings. I mentioned in the 'it arrived today' thread if anyone knew if Gretzky indeed had a double CCM jersey when he debuted. Well according to the following screen capture from the game, he did indeed

GretzkyKingsDebut.jpg

Also I thought it would be a good idea to pin this and we can post references either through game photos, media guides, or other sources for specific jersey attributes such as this.

whats a double CCM?

I'm still looking for a good reference site for assistant captaincy...

I'm still looking for a good reference site for assistant captaincy...

I don't think there is one. In some very rare occurrences the teams themselves keep records of Assistant Captains, but in most cases they just track Captains. Even when they track Captains, they don't often record players who wear the "C" temporarily due to injury etc. For example both Mike Gartner and Adam Graves wore the "C" for the Rangers, but they are never listed as Captains for the Rangers.

So that leaves you with having to check multiple sources and it'll take a lot of patience. Check game photos from places like GettyImages and AP Images - don't forget places like Flickr that often have game photos taken by fans. You can also check hockey card images. Check the MeiGray population reports and on the MeiGray site. Also check private game-worn collections online. Most teams have an annual team photo, that should allow you to see who the Assistant Captains were at the time of that picture. Finally, look at newspaper reports of games to look for comments regarding someone new wearing the "A" or the "C" even if temporarily.

Often you'll need to check multiple places - even if you find a picture, it doesn't tell you how long that player wore the "A" or the "C" if it wasn't for an entire season. Cross reference pics with the team schedule and game recaps to be certain.

I found some stuff on my computer. I don't know if these pics are still in the Gettys archive.

Even better than in the video:

221897.jpg

...wearing the "A"

222149.jpg

Yeah I posted that one too (the first pic of him shooting on Darren Pang) however I wanted to know what he had in his first game and that's why I posted the pic from the video.