1992 Stanley Cup Finals Patch

PenguinsChronicles.com

Hi everyone,

I have been waiting and looking for a real 1992 Stanley Cup Finals patch for several years. Having an affinity for the Pittsburgh Penguins and their Stanley Cup years, this find could not have been sweeter. The patch was sewn onto something previously and came from the Chicago/Illinois area. It could have been sewn on a jacket, sweater, jersey (replica or game worn), or anything else for that matter, but it was sewn to something previously, which from what I've seen and heard is the only way to obtain one of the real 1992 Stanley Cup patches.

Here is a picture of the patch:

1992scfpatch.jpg

There are several distinct characteristics to look for when looking for a real 1992 Stanley Cup Finals patch.

1. The white portions of the patch (cirlce around the Cup, left side of the Cup and bowl) are all twill, there is no white embroidery on the patch at all.

2. The outside edge of the patch is "finished" with an embroidered edge. This prevents fraying of the twill.

3. The font of the 1992 is very distinct and is curved with the circlular shape that it rests on.

4. The embroidery of the Stanley Cup on the left side is solid silver with a few very light black lines. There is no white on the right side of the Cup showing.

Here is a patch sewn to a 1992 Kevin Stevens Pittsburgh Penguins Game Worn Jersey. The jersey was worn in the Playoffs and had the "A" on the chest. Stevens did not wear the "A" in the Finals so it was prepared as a back-up in case he was assigned to be an Alternate Captain, but it was not worn in the Finals.

1992scfpatch2.jpg

Happy collecting,

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

PenguinsChronicles.com - The History of the Pittsburgh Penguins

Edited by PenguinsChronicles.com

Why does the bottom patch seem darker than the top patch?

The patch that I acquired was scanned with a flatbed scanner.

The photo of the patch on the Stevens jersey was taken with a camera, no flash.

Happy collecting,

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

Ohh, alright I was kind of thinking that the top one might be scanned. Congrats on getting the patch you've been seeking!

Maybe it's just me but that top patch just looks like a good reproduction compared to the real patch posted below.

There are a number of differences, including the black detail on the outside of the bowl portion of the cup. It is much thinner on your patch. The shape of the bowl is too thin and narrow as well. Additionally, the font used for the 1992 is different (especially the 9's and 2). The silver detail on the base of the cup is also considerably different (much thinner on the real version)

Good points ewillia8. Thank you for pointing those differences out.

The picture in the auction listing was small and washed some of the fine detail out. Overall, I'm happy with the patch and glad it was only $5.51.

Unfortunately, I do not have a loose 1991 Stanley Cup Finals patch. This is the only one I have:

9091Lemieuxscff.jpg

The patches at vintageminnesotahockey.com are not very close to the originals.

Here is the patch they have pictured on the website:

1991%20Stanley%20Cup%20Finals%20Patch.jpg

Here is the original patch:

90-91_MN_Finals_rd_Smith_patch.jpg

The patch on vintageminnesotahockey.com has noticable differences in the Stanley Cup trophy embroidery, the white circle is twill and there is not the white embroidery that goes around the circle of the patch. Also, the patch they have on the website is "finished" with an edging. The real patches do not have the finished edge.

Happy collecting,

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

Edited by PenguinsChronicles.com

Heh...the North Stars did! They were NOTORIOUS for sloppy, rushed stitch jobs on their patches. The 25th anny patch on my gamer is the same way. It looks like it was just pushed through the machine as fast and with as little turning as possible. Believe it or not, the Rangers have done some like that too. My Graves night patch looks the exact same way.

The patches at vintageminnesotahockey.com are not very close to the originals.

Here is the patch they have pictured on the website:

1991%20Stanley%20Cup%20Finals%20Patch.jpg

Here is the original patch:

90-91_MN_Finals_rd_Smith_patch.jpg

The patch on vintageminnesotahockey.com has noticable differences in the Stanley Cup trophy embroidery, the white circle is twill and there is not the white embroidery that goes around the circle of the patch. Also, the patch they have on the website is "finished" with an edging. The real patches do not have the finished edge.

Happy collecting,

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

Wow, I feel so inadequate now. I had them put one on my Bellows jersey. Now I'm going to have a complex when ever I leave the house.

• 1 year later...

I finally picked up real 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cup patches the originated from the Penguins locker room.

I will post pics later this evening.

Happy collecting!

• 3 years later...

I doubt I will find an orignal 1992 patch... so what is the best/closest repro on the market today?

Thanks!

Edited by slimcutta