Inaccurate CCM vs. Accurate unlicensed knockoff?

devilsfan26

inaccurate licensed jersey or accurate unlicensed jersey?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you go with?

• Inaccurate licensed
    • Accurate unlicensed

I am torn on what to do about a vintage Devils jersey...The new CCM ones have an annoyingly inaccurate logo. I am waiting for some better pictures to confirm this, but the domestic unlicensed knockoffs produced by Dorholt Custom Sports might be more accurate. They used to be garbage but it seems like they have stepped up their game lately. I have always been completely against knockoff jerseys but I kind of feel like if CCM/Reebok isn't going to put enough effort into their jerseys to ensure accuracy (especially on jerseys that they produced when they were being worn!) then maybe they don't deserve to have the market for these particular jerseys monopolized. The price isn't really an issue for me, it's just a matter of accuracy, so it's not like I'd be getting one of those ebay knockoffs just because they are less expensive.

What do you feel is the better option--the inaccurate one just because it's officialy-licensed, or an unlicensed jersey that is more accurate?

Thanks for any feedback.

How about an option for neither?

I do not buy unlicensed jerseys and will not buy the licensed if it is inaccurate.

In my opinion, I would rather have accuracy then being official. Thats what happens when you have a market to your self. You can do what ever you want to a certain degree and not worry about competition.

My take is that the new Reebok jerseys aren't trying to exact reproductions of the originals. The replicas have the crest issue and the authentics (that apparently won't be available for retail) are Edge cut. Both use the current font for lettering/numbers. So if I were looking to get one of a current player, I'd buy the Reebok.

If I was desperate to recreate a vintage jersey from the early Devils, I'd probably look at the Dorholt Custom Sports jersey. To me there is a big difference between a company trying to make vintage reproductions (and declaring them as such) and someone making counterfeit knock-off jerseys to sell to uneducated buyers.

Edit: Apparently the Dorholt guy posts frequently on the HFboards - there's very long recent thread about these jerseys. He offers them with both the Devil's 10th Anny hem patch and the NHL 75th Anny patch. He also seems to make no bones about not paying NHLPA fees. It makes me feel like this is getting into Griffenfood territory. I dunno I'm starting to think inaccurate or not, licensed is the way to go.

Edited by akteon

"Edit: Apparently the Dorholt guy posts frequently on the HFboards - there's very long recent thread about these jerseys. He offers them with both the Devil's 10th Anny hem patch and the NHL 75th Anny patch. He also seems to make no bones about not paying NHLPA fees. It makes me feel like this is getting into Griffenfood territory. I dunno I'm starting to think inaccurate or not, licensed is the way to go."

Akteon; I have never seen a Griffenfood in person. Can you educate me (or the others) about the quality etc.?

You can do a quick search on this site (or Google search) about Griffenfood to get an idea about his style of fakes. Or you can look at his apparent new eBay ID "my-ice" and see what he has for sale.

He's always careful to claim the jerseys are "replicas" or "reproductions" even when they are numerically sized and have fight straps. He's responsible for most of the fake '94 Canucks and blue Nords jerseys I see on eBay.

I have to admit buying a knockoff of a foreign club team jersey that was actually quite well made and much better than the original late 80's CCM replicas. It's not one that CCM ever remade during the CCM 550 era, so sometimes accuracy is better, especially when it's your only choice, as it was in my case since the 20 year old ones are long gone.

Isn't that what Mitchell and Ness are doing? They never made jerseys for NHL teams, but they have been known to make accurate, heavyweight jerseys. The only difference between Dorholt and M&N seems to be paying a licensing fee from my point of view. If you choose to look the other way on the morality of that part of it, buy what makes you happy. There's a very small percentage of the population that will even notice the lack of a 1x3 inch logo on the hem.

In the Spirit of March Madness, I purposely purchased a fake Gonzaga Bulldogs Adam Morrison jersey, and the quality was far better then what Nike was offering for $90. Also, The jerseys that are for sale legitimately online and in stores do not have the players names on the back because of licensing issues... That is the only fake I have i wear regularly, and have never been questioned on its authenticity. There was a seller on ebay awhile back who was selling NCAA Basketball jerseys with the names on the back. I wish i bought the home, away, and alternate....Since then I havent come across them again.

Well I finally found a pic that shows the back of one of the Dorholt versions, and atleast he doesn't appear to be trying to recreate the CCM logo - which for me atleast, keeps him from being a Griffenfood type. There's a big and kinda ugly DCS (Dorholt Custom Sports) logo on the hem.