What do you do with fake jerseys?

Mutant

Just wondering what you do with fake jerseys which you bought off eBay thinking it was authentic.

Do you keep them or do you sell them on with honest descriptions - "this is a fake jersey, not an on-ice authentic", etc.

I'm about 85% sure the Capitals jersey I bought the other day is fake. I've gone though all the guides about spotting a fake jersey.

For example, according to the guides a real Rbk EDGE jersey has the Reebok logo sewn on to a patch, then the patch is sewn on to the jersey. Mine just has a vague Reebok logo stitched directly on to the jersey and the logo is a bit wonky - which indiocates a fake.

BUT my jersey also appears to have the correct labelling. The neck tag appears to be correct and the Canada flag actually looks like a Canada flag. Also, the black Rbk strip that runs around the collar seems to be correct too. About the only thing wrong with the labels is the fact the size is 48. Someone said that Rebok don't do EDGE jersey's in a size 48.

I'll have to get some pictures up for you since I believe that this fake is pretty good (based on the guides). It might be something you jersey collectors need to be aware of.

I'm thinking of saving some cash up and buying the real thing and maybe selling the fake on but using a honest description.

Dude, That thing is faker then a 4 dollar bill. The size 48 is the biggest giveaway. As you said, the Nhl Logo should be a patch, not directly embroidered.

EDIT: Wow, didnt realize that was all caps.

I meant the Reebok logo at the back of the neck above the name (mine has Backstrom)

The NHL shield at the neck part appears to be a patch. I can't tell if it's the way a legit jersey would have it, or if it's the fake way.

It's not a replica sold as a Rbk EDGE either since I've looked at pics of replicas and they have some kind of patch at the bottom left side.

EDIT: I'm not a hockey jersey collector and this Caps jersey is the first I've ever bought, so you have to excuse my "newbie ness"

Edited by Mutant

Yes the RBK logo on the back of the neck is a patch sewn onto the jersey, and not directly embriodered.

THe same applies to the NHL shield on the V-neck at the front. It should be a sewn patch.

File a claim with eBay to get your money back and mention that the seller is peddling reproductions of authentic NHL jerseys and you shouldn't have a problem.

As for what to do with it. Well you'll probably have to return it if eBay finds in your favour in the claim.

Personally I have dealt with fakes this way and had no problems. Although I did buy a fake Gretzky retirement jersey as a placeholder until I got a real one. It is now on eBay. I advertised it as such, that it is a reproduction and not a licensed jersey that was actually made by Starter so people knowingly get what they're paying for.

About the only thing wrong with the labels is the fact the size is 48.

You don't need to look any further than that I'm afraid mate, that's a fake.

You should ask the seller for a refund, and depending what he says complain to ebay and go that route. It's effort but you shouldn't have to pay for something that isn't what it claims to be. Sadly with ebay, even UK ebay, it's flooded with fakes and neither ebay nor Reebok appear remotely bothered about doing anything about it. The old adage that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is, is what you need to live by on that site now.

Like everybody has said already the jersey you bought is fake, There is no size 48 Edge jersey end of story. Anyways, Ebay is pretty good about giving refunds for this kind of thing so I would contact the seller and ask for a refund including the cost for you to ship the jersey back to them. If they agree, great, send the jersey back with tracking and collect your refund but if the seller won't give you a refund file a claim through Paypal on the grounds of the member selling counterfeit merchandise and let them deal with it. They will side in your favor and give you a refund once you send the jersey back to the seller.

I got an idea for you.

Send it to Reebok, with a brief letter explaining how disappointed you are with the quality of the jersey (pretending you spent $300 on it), and see what their response is.

I won't be surprise it is one of those standard corporate response:

"Oh, we are sorry, we will look into it, we are sorry but there is nothing we can do..." Those kind of crap...

I got an idea for you.

Send it to Reebok, with a brief letter explaining how disappointed you are with the quality of the jersey (pretending you spent $300 on it), and see what their response is.

I won't be surprise it is one of those standard corporate response:

"Oh, we are sorry, we will look into it, we are sorry but there is nothing we can do..." Those kind of crap...

Curious as to what their reply would be. More liklely return it to the place of purchase for exchange or refund.