Jersey Stripping..staining question..

MountainKing

I stripped one of my winter classic replicas to change the name & number...everything went well except there is some pretty bad red staining from the arm numbers. Per some suggestions I took it to one local cleaners and they said they wouldn't be able to get it out...should I try another cleaners? Is there anything I can do to get it out? I've had good luck with a lot of tide to go on stains but I didn't want to try anything yet for fear of making it worst...

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2l.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2l.jpg

your last option is acetone.

But I warn you, this chemical really smell. You better do it in your backyard, close the door and prevent kids nearing you...

I've heard of this but what will acetone do to the original coloring of the jersey? I've always been afraid that it will make it bleed.

many years ago my mom used acetone to take of some stains off a white mesh toronto blue jays shirt; i was where they were making asphalt and got the black stains there. acetone took off all the stains.

i'd use it as a last resort because the smell is very strong and the acetone is a strong substance - find someone who has used it before to see how long you put it on for because if left on long enough it will probably eat right through the material.

I've heard of this but what will acetone do to the original coloring of the jersey? I've always been afraid that it will make it bleed.

I have tried it on numerous types of jerseys, air-knit, ultrafil, bauer/SP flo-knit, NIKE, even Edge.

Except for Edge, the colour (in your case, black) will not bleach into the ligher part (might bleach just a little bit, but is washable). But make sure you use a towel or cloth to rub the part you want to clean; don't pour acetone onto the jersey like it's a bottle of water... Remember it is a chemical.

After you finished, just put it in a washing machine and wash it like a normal garment.

Acetone might clear out 80-90% of it, sometimes 100%. The remaining 10-20% then you might have to bleach it out...

i'm an idiot - it wasn't acetone. just talked to her and what she used was 'carbon tette' - carbon tetra chloride, that she got from a friend of hers. works great on hard to remove stains, but really strong stuff.

many years ago my mom used acetone to take of some stains off a white mesh toronto blue jays shirt; i was where they were making asphalt and got the black stains there. acetone took off all the stains.

i'd use it as a last resort because the smell is very strong and the acetone is a strong substance - find someone who has used it before to see how long you put it on for because if left on long enough it will probably eat right through the material.

Just a follow up, I know I posted this a few posts ago but I used a product called "Goof Off" and it did the trick. I used a little bit, scrubbed with a tooth brush, washed in the machine and then ironed flat the areas the numbers used to be...the jersey looks brand new. Goof off had a pretty harsh smell but it did not leave behind any smell on the jersey.