Oilers moving their AHL affiliate to OKC

ZoomZoom18

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516957

"The Edmonton Oilers announced today the American Hockey League Board of Governors has approved the relocation of the Oilers’ inactive AHL franchise from Edmonton, Alberta to Oklahoma City for the 2010-11 hockey season.

Oklahoma City will become the home of the Oilers’ primary affiliate, the proving ground for the franchise’s top draft choices and prospects."

I am stoked about this move. I like the Oilers and their history.

Lafountain, I'm not sure how far OKC is from Wichita Falls, but this could work in your favor as well. Now there's another option for pro hockey in this region. I've found Oklahoma City is much easier to navigate than the area around the American Airlines Center. Its about 2-2 1/2 hours from where I'm at in Durant (Southeastern Oklahoma). Occasionally my wife and I make a road trip up there. According to the article, they'll be playing at the Cox Convention Center. We're already talking about making a couple of trips up there for games. Not to mention, the Oilers have a pretty good rivalry with the Stars. I hope it carries on with the OKC team and the Texas Stars. The Blazers ceased operations last summer from the CHL and this has been rumored for some time. I'm thrilled to see they finally made it official.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516957

"The Edmonton Oilers announced today the American Hockey League Board of Governors has approved the relocation of the Oilers’ inactive AHL franchise from Edmonton, Alberta to Oklahoma City for the 2010-11 hockey season.

Oklahoma City will become the home of the Oilers’ primary affiliate, the proving ground for the franchise’s top draft choices and prospects."

I am stoked about this move. I like the Oilers and their history.

Lafountain, I'm not sure how far OKC is from Wichita Falls, but this could work in your favor as well. Now there's another option for pro hockey in this region. I've found Oklahoma City is much easier to navigate than the area around the American Airlines Center. Its about 2-2 1/2 hours from where I'm at in Durant (Southeastern Oklahoma). Occasionally my wife and I make a road trip up there. According to the article, they'll be playing at the Cox Convention Center. We're already talking about making a couple of trips up there for games. Not to mention, the Oilers have a pretty good rivalry with the Stars. I hope it carries on with the OKC team and the Texas Stars. The Blazers ceased operations last summer from the CHL and this has been rumored for some time. I'm thrilled to see they finally made it official.

Yeah, I read about this move also and was happy. Both Dallas and OKC are a bit over 2 hours away, so it works for me as I can drive North for AHL or South for NHL games.

Yeah, I read about this move also and was happy. Both Dallas and OKC are a bit over 2 hours away, so it works for me as I can drive North for AHL or South for NHL games.

The Stars and Oilers have had some intense games the last few times I've watched them play. The Oilers are in Dallas the first Friday (I think) in April and I may have to go check that game out for kicks. Unfortunately, they have been bad this year, but hopefully the Stars are in the middle of a playoff push at that time. Right now, March 20th (the Senators) is the only game that I want to see badly, but the next Oilers-Stars matchup is starting to bump it.