Removing outline of stripped jersey

Hollis

Tried search, but can only find threads about glue.

Got a 90's era jersey (white home) with stitched on numbers (no glue)

Stripped off the numbers and you can see the outline of them still.

-not from bleeding dye

-not from faded/dirty jersey

it looks as if the fabric that was 'inside' the stitching is raised and a brighter white (although jersey looks brand new still)

What is the best way to remove the 'raised' look of the number outline?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Hollis

Unfortunately, that's a tougher one. You can try soaking it in OxyClean and then running it in the wash but it might not work. Usually the color issues aren't fixable. It's worth a shot though.

Wow, you guys are awesome!

i turned it inside out, put a t-shirt overtop and went to town with lots of steam and it looks great.

one more question, what's the best way to wash it to get the whites to look the same level of clean?

Did you press it right on top? As if actually ironing clothing? How long did you have to do it and what setting was the iron on?

Edited by 1KR3W

Did you press it right on top? As if actually ironing clothing? How long did you have to do it and what setting was the iron on?

yes, jersey inside out on the ironing board (make sure you put the jersey 'around' the ironing board so you are only ironing the one side of the jersey)

then stretch a white t-shirt out as another layer over top the jersey.

lowest polyester setting with lots of steam, took make 10 mins for the whole jersey.

• 1 year later...

I second that!

I know this is a super old thread but I just got an early 90s Capitals airknit. Is ironing good for the air knit or only ultrafil. The jersey I purchased had the numbers stripped and I can still see the outlines, but they were heat pressed before being sewn so there is no glue residue. You would put an undershirt between the jersey and iron correct?