98-99 Rangers question

HockeyMusic

I have a fake 98-99 Gretzky Rangers retirement jersey. I stripped off the "wayne gretzky set 2 1998-99 season" tag from the inside hem and the "gretzky" nametag from the inside neck.

I'm assuming the real gamers did have this sort of tagging for his jerseys.

The reason I'd like to know is because I wouldn't mind sewing that into my real starter jersey that I do have to make it look like the gamer from his last game

thanks

I honestly always thought that was something that the jersey bootleggers originated, or something they copied off a special replica set made previously. For whatever reason I figured that Gretzky's jerseys would be pretty much just like everyone else's just with the double tagging at the hem.

But as usual, I apparently was quite wrong. Here are pics from the only legitimate Gretzky gamer I've ever seen detailed pics of - it's a GI from MeiGray:

img7520743med.jpgimg7520744med.jpg

Sounds like it was made up before the league forced the Rangers to switch to 2-color names on the 3rd Liberty jerseys (because the weren't approved to have 3-color names, go figure).

I honestly always thought that was something that the jersey bootleggers originated, or something they copied off a special replica set made previously. For whatever reason I figured that Gretzky's jerseys would be pretty much just like everyone else's just with the double tagging at the hem.

But as usual, I apparently was quite wrong. Here are pics from the only legitimate Gretzky gamer I've ever seen detailed pics of - it's a GI from MeiGray:

img7520743med.jpgimg7520744med.jpg

Sounds like it was made up before the league forced the Rangers to switch to 2-color names on the 3rd Liberty jerseys (because the weren't approved to have 3-color names, go figure).

Nice pics, do you have the rest of the pic set?

Nice pics, do you have the rest of the pic set?

I should have mentioned it in my original post, but I linked the images to the MeiGray page for the jersey - just click to see the whole thing.

Edit: guess I was wrong, the link was broken. It's working now. Click the images in the original post or click here.

I should have mentioned it in my original post, but I linked the images to the MeiGray page for the jersey - just click to see the whole thing.

Edit: guess I was wrong, the link was broken. It's working now. Click the images in the original post or click here.

awesome, thanks. I noticed, the NHL shield on the left looks slightly different than the one on the right

awesome, thanks. I noticed, the NHL shield on the left looks slightly different than the one on the right

Interesting - it looks like Starter had the jersey already made, and then added the extra tagging (using slightly diff. ebroidery) once it was known it was for Gretzky's use.

I have a Starter Gretzky replica with double tagging at the hem. How do I tell if it is fake?

If it's a Starter replica, then it should have a Starter S logo on the sleeve, no fight strap, and have alpha-sizing (S, M, L, XL not 48 or 52 etc.)

If it's an Starter authentic, then it should have a fight strap, no Starter logo on the sleeve, be numerically sized with R or G (52-R or 56-G), and if it's not a gamer then it shouldn't have any extra tagging like a "set tag" or the extra "Greztky" neck tag shown above.

Yeah I'd never seen that before until I saw one on eBay.

I never knew starter actually put out double tagged Gretzky replicas.

They must have been pre-customized from their factories I would assume, as I doubt they would be double tagged as a blank.

I checked out my two Starter replica jerseys from the ealry 1990's and neither have that extra saying Made in Korea. Instead, they say Made in Korea right there on the Starter tag underneath the S-star logo. Going by that AND that machine-stitched custom job, I'd say it's a fake.