Penguins 88-89 Jerseys

HockeyMusic

I looked at a Youtube video of Lemieux scoring 5 goals 5 different ways and it looks like the jerseys for that year had screened on names and numbers.

Any thoughts from the experts?

I just got the Penguins Lemieux jersey from IJ member gawdawful and I plan on making it into the jersey commemorating that event.

Also, did they screen the name onto a nameplate or was it done onto the jersey?

From the looks of it (I checked pics from dropthepucks.com) it seems the name was screened directly to the jersey.

Also, I'm assuming a local embroidery shop wouldn't have a problem embroidering "Century Sports" into the left hem.

Any help would be great.

For the first half of the year, yeah, they did use the heat-seal method of lettering. But, for the second half, the font was changed and the name and numbers became twill and sewn on. That's why you see the vinyl stuff on the 5 goal game video. They also went from air-knit to ultrafil that year. It was a big year for the Pens.

For the first half of the year, yeah, they did use the heat-seal method of lettering. But, for the second half, the font was changed and the name and numbers became twill and sewn on. That's why you see the vinyl stuff on the 5 goal game video. They also went from air-knit to ultrafil that year. It was a big year for the Pens.

Yeah the gamers on dropthepucks show the ultrafil neck tag. The one I bought from gawdawful is ultrafil, size 50, but I'm gonna get heat sealed lettering on it. I'm just cleaning it up right now as there was sticky residue underneath the "lemieux" nameplate left over from removing a "recchi" customization.

Nothing a little goof off couldn't handle. ;)

Plus my clorox bleach pen and a little ironing and that baby should be ready for the big time.

interesting, I should pick up that goo off thing and try it myself :P

It's great stuff but do yourself a favour and use it outside because the smell is horrible and you don't want your home smelling like it. Leave whatever you use it on outside as well until it airs out and the smell goes away.

I actually own Lemieux's game worn jersey from his 5-goals, 5-different ways game. The game was played on December 31, 1988 and the jersey I own in video-matched to distinct marks seen throughout the game including the 3 Stars of the Game presentation after the game.

The Penguins wore the all-screened on CCM Ultrafil jerseys from the beginning of the 1988-89 regular season through January 4, 1989 vs. Red Army. The next game, January 7, 1989, they were wearing all-sewn on CCM Ultrafils which they wore throughout the remainder of the season including the 1989 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

You can see an entire gallery of 1988-89 Penguins jerseys here:

www.penguinschronicles.com/19881989/jerseys.html

You will notice that the Lemieux from the 5-goals, 5-different ways game has thinner letters on the back and a thinner Captain's "C" than the first Road (black) jersey shown. Lemieux wore at least two different jerseys in Set 1 in 1988-89. The second pair of jerseys he was issued had the thinner lettering.

There were NO nameplates on the 1988-89 all-screened on Set 1 jerseys.

I hope this helps get your jersey as close to the real thing as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,

Casey Samuelson

Owner / Webmaster

PenguinsChronicles.com - The History of the Pittsburgh Penguins

wow thanks a lot!

So you have the actual gamer, now that is a REAL gem!

On that note, do players decide if they can keep a given jersey.

If I was him, I would want that one for myself to be honest. That is a feat that will never happen again

I think they keep the special ones, like the Cup-winning jerseys and retirement night jerseys. I know the specialty ones are usually a big hit too. The Leafs made up 2 sets of the St. Pats jerseys for 3/2/02 so the players could have one in addition to the other being auctioned.