replica technicalities - 550 v. "ultrafill"

terryzom

Ok, somebody lay it out for me, is there a difference between a 550 replica and and "ultrafil" one?

Yes. Older (early-mid 90's) CCM replicas used a very thin, flimsy polyester. They have the classy screen-printed tail logo. I have seen ebay sellers calling this Ultrafil, but they're selling you a bill of goods.

"Ultrafil" was only used on Authentics to my knowledge. So when an ebay seller says they have an "ultrafil replica" they are full of b.s.

CCM /Koho 550 replicas use a material commonly known as Air-Knit. Nike used air-knit for their authentics and replicas.

Starter and ProPlayer were all over the road for the fabric usage. Mainly using a fabric similar to air-knit but softer to the touch.

All pre-edge.

back in the 80's and 90's, CCM came out with basically three types of jerseys 1 replica, which was made from a light weight ultra fil material , 2- the 550 or semi pro model which was made of airknit, a small mesh type material and 3- the authentic pro model 6100 which was a heavy duty ultra fil material.

No, Pro Player replicas were always air-knit. The true ultrafil material was always reserved for pro weight jerseys. If you've ever felt the two side-by-side, you'd definitely feel the difference. The replica stuff felt thinner and maybe even a looser knit. That's what they feel like to me anyway.

*doublepost* sorry, it is so much harder to trackit in hockey. Can anybody give a run through on the known types of fabrics, along w/ pros and cons, and what gets used on what? Thanks for the replies and Happy New Year!

Edited by terryzom

back in the 80's and 90's, CCM came out with basically three types of jerseys 1 replica, which was made from a light weight ultra fil material , 2- the 550 or semi pro model which was made of airknit, a small mesh type material and 3- the authentic pro model 6100 which was a heavy duty ultra fil material.

So how can you tell the difference by looking at a picture??

Type 1 has the red, white, and blue CCM logo screened on?

Type 2?????

Type 3 has the CCM sewn in team colors and the NHL Shield in orange and black

How do you identify the 550 Semi-Pros??? (I'm talking about the 90's versions)

So how can you tell the difference by looking at a picture??

Type 1 has the red, white, and blue CCM logo screened on?

Type 2?????

Type 3 has the CCM sewn in team colors and the NHL Shield in orange and black

How do you identify the 550 Semi-Pros??? (I'm talking about the 90's versions)

the 90's semi pro , during the early years had the ccm logo screened on the back , in the latter years they used a ccm embroideried patch which was then clearly sewn on the back hem and during the latter years ccm would also sewn on next to the ccm patch either stylized nhl logo which looked like a black puck with orange streaks or a patch of the team logo, the pro jerseys it is clear that the ccm and nhl sheild logo are embroderied directly in the jersey itself. also looking at the back the pro jersey will have an outline of the patch which holds in the fighting strap available only on pro authentic models. looking at the front you will see in the neck tag a rectangular tag with the words pro authentic ccm centre ice collection, on the semi pros they had a large tag that had the ccm logo and an image of a ice rink on the back. on the older models of the semi pros they just had a small size neck tag. the real give away is that pro jerseys are always sized using chest size and the replica and semi pro were sized in mens s m l or xl,

Edited by gameface

Very good info all, glad I went with the Pro-Players instead of the CCM then, it's a bit hard for a newbie like me to follow. As the late 90s Wings teams wore airknit Nike, I will be staying pretty historically accurate as opposed to not knowing what the heck I'm looking at with all the CCM variances and ending up with the wrong sort of base.

Very good info all, glad I went with the Pro-Players instead of the CCM then, it's a bit hard for a newbie like me to follow. As the late 90s Wings teams wore airknit Nike, I will be staying pretty historically accurate as opposed to not knowing what the heck I'm looking at with all the CCM variances and ending up with the wrong sort of base.

There is a lot to keep track of. If you haven't found it yet, Drop The Pucks has some excellent pictures, esp. if you are still looking for examples of the different fabrics.

• 3 years later...

the 90's semi pro , during the early years had the ccm logo screened on the back , in the latter years they used a ccm embroideried patch which was then clearly sewn on the back hem and during the latter years ccm would also sewn on next to the ccm patch either stylized nhl logo which looked like a black puck with orange streaks or a patch of the team logo, the pro jerseys it is clear that the ccm and nhl sheild logo are embroderied directly in the jersey itself. also looking at the back the pro jersey will have an outline of the patch which holds in the fighting strap available only on pro authentic models. looking at the front you will see in the neck tag a rectangular tag with the words pro authentic ccm centre ice collection, on the semi pros they had a large tag that had the ccm logo and an image of a ice rink on the back. on the older models of the semi pros they just had a small size neck tag. the real give away is that pro jerseys are always sized using chest size and the replica and semi pro were sized in mens s m l or xl,

in the early years i have a few with the single tag, and the tag says ccm by maska (100% polyester). red/blue ccm screenprint on the tail. it's that real bad polyester that snags when you walk through a stiff breeze. if those are semipro than a replica must have been terrible.

then i have a few that have the screenprinted ccm on the back and the large ice rink tag. the material feels similar to the ones with the maska tag, but smoother. maybe just because they're not as worn.

then i have what i believe is the semi pro 550 with the embroidered ccm patch sewn on the tail with a logo next to it. and the ice rink tag.

i have some with a different tag at the back of the neck that is the same size as the rink but is blue and black.

then all kinds of combinations of all but the earliest, rink necktag +unembroidered patch tailtag, unembroidered patch tailtag+ccm patch on sleeve+new necktag, 550 ccm tailtag+ orange nhl puck patch on tail+non rink necktag. i'm so confused.

Were the mid-90s authentic All-Star Game jersey ultrafils?

Were the mid-90s authentic All-Star Game jersey ultrafils?

Guam -- CCM did the following All Star Jersey types in the 90s:

1990 -- AirKnit -- black or white with the large NHL shield, 6 stars and orange stripes

1991 -- Airknit -- same style as above

1992 -- Ultrafil -- TBTC red or white with blue and white stripes on the shoulders

1993 -- AirKnit -- same style as 1990 and 1991

1994 -- Ultrafil -- purple/black and turquoise/white style with the large "star" pattern like the old Dallas style

1995 -- no game due to lockout

1996 -- Ultrafil -- same as 1994

1997 -- Ultrafil -- same as 1994 and 1996

1998 -- AirKnit -- maroon or white with grey angled stripes

1999 -- AirKnit -- same as 1998

What material is this? Based on my limited knowledge its air-knit, but the seller has it listed as Ultrafil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JERSEY-DEVILS-PRO-CCM-ULTRAFIL-JERSEY-SIZE-52-BRAND-NEW-/251335729294?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item3a84c6e08e

What material is this? Based on my limited knowledge its air-knit, but the seller has it listed as Ultrafil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JERSEY-DEVILS-PRO-CCM-ULTRAFIL-JERSEY-SIZE-52-BRAND-NEW-/251335729294?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item3a84c6e08e

That's air knit, the devils started wearing air-knit in 96-97.

Guam -- CCM did the following All Star Jersey types in the 90s:

1990 -- AirKnit -- black or white with the large NHL shield, 6 stars and orange stripes

1991 -- Airknit -- same style as above

1992 -- Ultrafil -- TBTC red or white with blue and white stripes on the shoulders

1993 -- AirKnit -- same style as 1990 and 1991

1994 -- Ultrafil -- purple/black and turquoise/white style with the large "star" pattern like the old Dallas style

1995 -- no game due to lockout

1996 -- Ultrafil -- same as 1994

1997 -- Ultrafil -- same as 1994 and 1996

1998 -- AirKnit -- maroon or white with grey angled stripes

1999 -- AirKnit -- same as 1998

You do realize you're answering questions from 2010, right?